THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I use 9 hook umbrella rigs .You want a real rush, having 3 stripers on at a time :)
I don't think you could handle three at a time of the bruisers we used to catch in the NJ surf. We didn't even talk about a striper if it didn't weigh at least 25 lbs. Many were over 30 lbs. Plus with all those hooks you would spend too much time hung up on rocks and breaking off rigs. We fished from rock jetties. During the summer I used to spearfish around those same jetties and I would refill my tackle box with all the lures I found hung up in the rocks.

I guess my two most productive surf lures were a yellow Bomber plug and a Hopkins spoon. That Hopkins would catch anything that swam in the surf - bluefish, weakfish, stripers, you name it.

But if you really wanted a big striper nothing beat a live herring free lined around the rocks at night. We wore headlamps like miners use so we wouldn't break our azzes climbing around on the rocks.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think you could handle three at a time of the bruisers we used to catch in the NJ surf. We didn't even talk about a striper if it didn't weigh at least 25 lbs. Many were over 30 lbs. Plus with all those hooks you would spend too much time hung up on rocks and breaking off rigs. We fished from rock jetties. During the summer I used to spearfish around those same jetties and I would refill my tackle box with all the lures I found hung up in the rocks.

I guess my two most productive surf lures were a yellow Bomber plug and a Hopkins spoon. That Hopkins would catch anything that swam in the surf - bluefish, weakfish, stripers, you name it.

But if you really wanted a big striper nothing beat a live herring free lined around the rocks at night. We wore headlamps like miners use so we wouldn't break our azzes climbing around on the rocks.
"Hung up in the rocks" LOL kinda hard to do Trolling in 100 to 300 ft of water:) "we USE to catch"25 to 30 pounders" LOL
thats the size we use for bait.
"30 to 40 pounders are common here" and the record caught was 53 pounds.>> https://stripemasters.com/photos
I've had many doubles on(and landed) at the same time on the same umbrella rig ,and one triple :)
With 90 pound Braided line...not much gets broken OR away.
This was caught in the "run-off" stream of SML :) https://www.smithmountainhomes.com/records-set-atnear-smith-mountain-lake-in-virginia/

Last edited:

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Long drive home...but better than the drive up !! Only treasure was 4 fake cobbs !!
20211010_171936.jpg

I also did a wallet return....after chasing this kid down and returning his wallet I ran in to him again 2 more times in the same day.

20211010_154934.jpg

I also got to hunt with shpillips and I got to meet and have a beer with petespockets55...those guys hunt alot together and are both passionate treasure hunters and history trackers !! I can't wait to see those guys again when there's a noreaster cutting the treasure spots !! Also had coffee with Tom ruck every morning !! He's the guy from the 1715 drug smuggler thread on the shipwreck forum !! At one point he was on America's most wanted, and was a fugitive for many years.....his kids and I grew up together and he had a massive amount of 1715 treasure.....maybe even some of the supposed queens jewels....ill never tell nor could I prove what I saw as a young man !! I will explore the tips he has given me, and I'll stay in touch with this incredible character....as far as I'm concerned he has paid his debt to society with a long prison term which he survived !! So there was just to much sand still on the beaches from renourishment. We had huge overwash king tides....the beach was cutting and scalloping the whole time I was there. I managed to get a silver dime on a low spot from scalloping Beach conditions. By this morning there was some good cuts here and there !! The seasons are changing !! I shall return !! My calves are burnt up from hiking up and down beaches all vacation !! It was great !! More pics later....im exhausted !!

Last edited:

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So if you go to a place that serves Canadian Food....what would that be?!?!?!

Poutine?
Ketchup Chips?
Pretty much the same as you'd find in the U.S. or most European countries. Steak, seafood, vegetarian, vegan, etc...
And pretty much any ethnic option you could think of Mexican, Italian, Greek, Indian and the list goes on and on...

We mostly keep the poutine and ketchup fries for the tourists and keep the better stuff for ourselves.

xaos

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We mostly keep the poutine and ketchup fries for the tourists and keep the better stuff for ourselves.
I mean...fries and cheese curds...hahahahaha sorry, but even the name poutine doesnt sound appetizing!

What I was looking for was something particular for Canada...

As you noted...Mexican, Italian, Greek, Indian Food...

What is the similar style of associated with Canada???

Ie...I feel like Mexican or Thai food...

Does anyone ever say I feel like Canadian food?

I know we kindof have "American " food ie , BBQ, fried chicken, hot dogs (?), hamburgers, french fries, and such...(I am still unclear if pizza is American, but damn, the Italian version is sooo much better!)

Do people in Canadia say I feel like American food for dinner tonight??

OMG...ketchup chips are the worst!!!

other:

for being British subjects, I will say that the Aussie meat pies are the bomb!

in NZ.....the best fried calamari prep ever....you have to make these! (couldnt find an image)...but They are prepped like this...but sold in paper cups on the street....
wX3WZga.jpg
7Bl2iSt.jpg

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread