THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Deus 2, Deus XP, AT Pro, Whites TRX pinpointer, Sampson Ground Shark shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like the band is folded under the otherside.
It's a heartbreaker to drop a find.
I don't want to mess with it but I want to see if my jeweler will unfold it for me. I won't even attempt it I'll just break it. Yeah dropping it made my heart drop I'm so glad it didn't shatter

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Funny thing that will sound silly to most. I cleaned it with my ultrasonic cleaner and upon taking it out of the water I dropped it on it's face and about had a heart attack, thought it was going to destroy it but didn't do anything. Was terrible lol

Sorry, but I'm laughing!

Amateur!
You gotta be more like me.
First , such a find never happens until many hours are in for the day to be burnt out enough to advance to #2.

#2. You ( As I) stab it with your digger out of impatience with prior junk recoveries before even seeing it and mar the face with a fresh deep groove.
Then you lose it in your pouch. Or was it in a pocket? Sock? Hat brim? I had it safe somewhere. (Just in case someone else wanted to stab it too.)

If you're going to drop a prize , do it over a poorly covered drain ect..
Or at least somewhere you can't find it for half an hour.
:icon_thumleft:

Congrats on the neat score! And on getting out.
I kinda like it just like it is. (Here ya go , try these pliers...l.o.l.. No! Don't.) But it's yours to do whatever with.

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, but I'm laughing!

Amateur!
You gotta be more like me.
First , such a find never happens until many hours are in for the day to be burnt out enough to advance to #2.

#2. You ( As I) stab it with your digger out of impatience with prior junk recoveries before even seeing it and mar the face with a fresh deep groove.
Then you lose it in your pouch. Or was it in a pocket? Sock? Hat brim? I had it safe somewhere. (Just in case someone else wanted to stab it too.)

If you're going to drop a prize , do it over a poorly covered drain ect..
Or at least somewhere you can't find it for half an hour.
:icon_thumleft:

Congrats on the neat score! And on getting out.
I kinda like it just like it is. (Here ya go , try these pliers...l.o.l.. No! Don't.) But it's yours to do whatever with.
Lol I've learned many of those lessons the hard way and now have many steps I take to avoid most those. I most definitely am not messing with it anything I attempt to fix quickly becomes unfixable for good lol.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Lol I've learned many of those lessons the hard way and now have many steps I take to avoid most those. I most definitely am not messing with it anything I attempt to fix quickly becomes unfixable for good lol.
I made what looks like sandstone using electrolysis on my first (and only) Indian cent recovered.
It was toasty/corroded bad to start , but some pretty good detail was showing up , so I ran it a little longer...

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I made what looks like sandstone using electrolysis on my first (and only) Indian cent recovered.
It was toasty/corroded bad to start , but some pretty good detail was showing up , so I ran it a little longer...
Lol yup electrolysis can cause problems if not watched or if you use too much power. Or in my case not pay attention and put the positive on what you're trying to fix and end up toasting said item and fixed the trash sacrificial piece lol

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Lol yup electrolysis can cause problems if not watched or if you use too much power. Or in my case not pay attention and put the positive on what you're trying to fix and end up toasting said item and fixed the trash sacrificial piece lol

We could start a new business.
Call it , Antiques made while you wait.
:laughing7:

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We could start a new business.
Call it , Antiques made while you wait.
:laughing7:
Lol. The worst thing I destroyed in not knowing what I was doing was my civil war veterans fraternity badge, wasn't worth anything but not something you find everyday and I used electrolysis on it and it just washed out any detail that was left it was devastating lol. Now I use a bit more caution.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Lol. The worst thing I destroyed in not knowing what I was doing was my civil war veterans fraternity badge, wasn't worth anything but not something you find everyday and I used electrolysis on it and it just washed out any detail that was left it was devastating lol. Now I use a bit more caution.
Me too. Now I leave my device (powered by a portable C.D. player that died's power source) unplugged. And hidden!

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Me too. Now I leave my device (powered by a portable C.D. player that died's power source) unplugged. And hidden!
I don't mess up as much anymore when it comes to trying to bring more detail out of things and I know mostly what to leave as is. Brass and copper are really finicky and those things mostly get warm water and a tooth brush treatment I know anything else usually doesn't go well unless you really know what you're doing and have patience as the correct cleaning methods regarding those metals can take days to months.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Dave, Well at least you have your daughter to keep you company. I'm sure it won't hurt on your sales calls either just tell her to bat her eyelashes at them...that'll do the trick....:laughing7::laughing7::laughing7:

Funny story for you one of our early female sales/marketing reps Nancy was newly appointed to her territory.

She was making a call to one of the tire companies and she could tell the old time traffic manager was a bit uncomfortable having a woman call on him.

He was giving her a tour of the plant and to lighten the mood somewhat....she took in a deep breath and told him she loved the smell of fresh rubber first thing in the morning.....:laughing7::laughing7::laughing7:

That's hilarious Bill. :laughing9:

My daughter and I had breakfast with a customer when we were in Montreal a few weeks ago, but other then that, she prefers to stay in the car and play on her all the time phone. :tongue3:

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You guys get to see first got my second ring of the year not silver or gold but I'm proud of this one been wanting one of these and never thought I'd find one. Hard to get good pictures to give it justice but this ring has a cool face carved into it with a lot of detail surprised it survived as the band is crushed. Was my first signal of the day within 30 seconds of swinging at a property I've gone over countless times.

That's a beautiful find John, definitely unique. As the others have mentioned, I don't think it was a ring though, possibly a cameo brooch. :icon_scratch: Maybe consider posting it in the What is it forum.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
:laughing7::laughing7::laughing7::laughing9::hello:
39B58BD3-45C7-47E7-B0E0-64ADA24E838E.png

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread