THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
SanMan,

So true about the not working part.....I used to pick wild berries at my aunt and uncle's farm when I was about 10 or so as well as stuff from their garden when I was a kid. I'd sell the berries at the farmer's market for 35 cents for a small styrofoam cup that seems cheap but remember that was circa 1960. And continued doing odds jobs until I started working full time at 17 years old.

The local supermarket where I stop in for my morning coffee pays $12.50 per hour starting salary and they are literally begging for employees.

I would have jumped for joy to have that job starting out.

Off the soap box now.....:laughing7::laughing7::laughing7:

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
SanMan,

So true about the not working part.....I used to pick wild berries at my aunt and uncle's farm when I was about 10 or so as well as stuff from their garden when I was a kid. I'd sell the berries at the farmer's market for 35 cents for a small styrofoam cup that seems cheap but remember that was circa 1960. And continued doing odds jobs until I started working full time at 17 years old.

The local supermarket where I stop in for my morning coffee pays $12.50 per hour starting salary and they are literally begging for employees.

I would have jumped for joy to have that job starting out.

I got my first job with a hunting lodge when I was 13... I still work there.

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I took off for my first combat mission today. I was piloting a lil' piece of crap the Air Corps decided to give me, and it wasn't much. Mission objective was to take out enemy ground troop positions by bombing, and to take out flak guns and fighters if necessary. We were flying over France at around noon... After 25 minutes of flying, we spotted our targets, and I dropped two 100 pound bombs onto a German Convoy, destroying several troop trucks, and an armored vehicle. The Germans got some support in the air, and sent a mess of fighters to take us on. I helped our British friends, in the Spitfires by assisting in taking out a Me-109, and I took down a Stuka all by myself in my first recorded kill. I flew into a barrage of flak, and got my oil reserves knocked out, so I limped back to our little airstrip, and landed the plane with no fuel or oil. Mission 1 complete.

Oh yes, War Thunder by the way. :laughing7:

SanMan

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2012
West Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, AT Max, AT Gold - Tesoro Euro Sabre - Tesoro Bandido II uMax - Troy X2 - Tesoro Stingray - Mojave - Fisher 1280X- Fisher 1235X - and many more.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SanMan,

My mom drove me to a bicycle shop when I was 10 and told the guy to give me a job.
Told him I worked on my own bikes everyday.

First job he gave me,.... a brand new 10 speed bike still in the box.
Never touched one before,..... I got it all squared away with out asking any questions.

He said, "well, you took a while,... but it looks good"

At one point as a young guy I worked 3 jobs,.....
I worked in a machine shop, for a mechanic shop,.. and I worked for a crowd management co,...
(LA Sports Arena, The Coliseum, Long Beach Arena, Olympic Auditorium,...etc)

I took other side jobs as they came around, the Miss Teen USA beauty pageant up at Universal studios
hired local black belts for security,... I worked that when it came up.

Back in the day I filled out 3 applications on one day,... and all 3 offered me a job.

I have noticed "A LOT" of these no good bums simply don't want to work,.....

They just want to scrape by,.... use the system, beg money in the street, and stay loaded.

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I took other side jobs as they came around, the Miss Teen USA beauty pageant up at Universal studios
hired local black belts for security,... I worked that when it came up.

You lucky dog! :)

I am hard set on my job, and that is with the railroad. If that doesn't pan out, heavy machinery operations.

SanMan

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2012
West Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, AT Max, AT Gold - Tesoro Euro Sabre - Tesoro Bandido II uMax - Troy X2 - Tesoro Stingray - Mojave - Fisher 1280X- Fisher 1235X - and many more.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Both those jobs pay well RR,...... you're on the right track.

Those beauty pageants were a lot of time on my feet,.... but,....

On the last night, a very nice dinner, and dancing, with pretty girls,..... bonus!

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

On the last night, a very nice dinner, and dancing, with pretty girls,..... bonus!

I've had my eyes set on those two for a while, but if the U.S. goes to war, and I'm still young, I'll enlist somewhere...

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
SanMan,

Here's a real life scenario that when I see cases like this it literally drives me nuts....:laughing7::laughing7::laughing7:

Pretty much every morning I do a hour to hour and a half walk.

Well the coffee break I take midway is a local supermarket that has a little table section. There's a guy there who's late 60's....divorced and has 2 adult children living with him.

The son is late 20's and has asperger's which is a mild form of functional autism and is on social disability pension, the daughter suffers from depression, panic attacks, etc and also receives social assistance.

Dad was on welfare before retirement because he had a hard time holding down a job because he also had panic attacks, etc....

So pretty dysfunctional situation.

So when he mentioned awhile back that his daughter had the depression problems I went out of my way to print up material off of the internet with clinical proof that excercise in the fresh air such as walking was pretty much the best solution rather than anti depressants, etc....well guess what her response was walking is boring so she's still on meds and depressed.

He complained awhile back that most of the medical resources for people with asperger's was put aside for kids rather than adult sufferer's so his son was on a 10 year wait list to get counselling I snooped around and found someone on youtube who also had asperger's and was a former Nasa engineer and had self help videos that might be useful. Zero feedback so doubtful his son check them out or tried any of the steps that might help.

He complained about the high cost of food so I suggested the best way to go was do your own cooking from scratch since it was healthier and cheaper. So what does he do does a potato and cabbage casserole using pre schredded cabbage at $2.50 lb versus 99cents for the whole cabbage and 4 oz of garlic butter at $2.49 rather buying actual butter and adding either chopped garlic or garlic powder.

On pension I make more revenue that the 3 of them combined and still we cook most of our food from scratch....I also play the stock market and my wife has a few sidelines both to keep busy and make a bit of extra money for luxuries.

Last edited:

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting

What if you just have a brown dress belt? :laughing7: kidding buddy. I have a dress black.

SanMan

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2012
West Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had my eyes set on those two for a while, but if the U.S. goes to war, and I'm still young, I'll enlist somewhere...

I would have to stop you on that cousin,.......

It's just this,..... very big risk to your health, very little money, and the armed services are not
what you think they are,..... they way you think they are,.... that's the way they used to be.

You would be miserable.

The railroad will take you,.... I'll write a letter myself.
You're smart and skilled, any outfit running heavy equipment would take you in a second,.....

If things roll funny somehow,..... I'll help you get into an electricians apprenticeship.
Every hour you work counts toward your electricians license.

I have a connection in Kansas that just kept at it,..... got his license,.... got the contractors license,
just kept at it,...... got his heavy line electrician license,..........

The city gives him work "all the time", high paying work,.... he gets out there, gets the job done,...
before the city can decide who to send and what truck to use.

RR,.....it's good to make a comfortable living while you're working toward what you want to do.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
RR,

I'll 2nd SanMan's opinion. I spent 35 years doing railway marketing which paid me good money very demanding work but afforded me a good lifestyle with a good pension.

We have 2 admins on the Canadian forum ex military with stress issues related to their service it's fine to be patriotic, however, better left to people who have no other option or skill sets IMHO.

SanMan

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2012
West Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RR,

I'll 2nd SanMan's opinion. I spent 35 years doing railway marketing which paid me good money very demanding work but afforded me a good lifestyle with a good pension.

We have 2 admins on the Canadian forum ex military with stress issues related to their service it's fine to be patriotic, however, better left to people who have no other option or skill sets IMHO.

Thank you bill,.......

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
I would have to stop you on that cousin,.......

It's just this,..... very big risk to your health, very little money, and the armed services are not
what you think they are,..... they way you think they are,.... that's the way they used to be.

You would be miserable.

RR,.....it's good to make a comfortable living while you're working toward what you want to do.
========
RR, reading about the Civil War and going to some re-enactments for fun and learning is one thing. Enlisting may be patriotic, but this is REAL. You can't stop and hit the "Pause" button, the dangers are real and lethal. Heck, servicemen die even during basic training. You have VERY LITTLE control over anything you do or want to do. And if a "Recruiter" is talking to you - BEWARE - . During my son's Senior year at High School the recruiters were out in FULL FORCE. They tried to become best friends and even took him out for lunch or supper. They made promises that they had NO intention of keeping. Once they recruit you, you are now in the hands of the next phase and WHATEVER THE RECRUITER HAS PROMISED can be denied. They had promised things and a life that there was no way they could guarantee. My son was probably hours away from signing up before I stepped in. I went down to the recruiters office several times to complain and each time was told that whatever was said was between the recruiter and my son and that my son would be legal age and it is his decision. I contacted my Senator in Washington who also stepped in. "IF" my son wanted a military career, that would be one thing, but to trick him into signing up with promises of something they could not guarantee or deliver was a completely different story. You need to listen to all those on this thread before you jump in to play war. It is NOT all you think it is.

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
That's pretty neat, we have several posters here that are familiar with martial arts :notworthy:
ARC's ship is WELL protected from any "Hostile" takeover attempts :tongue3:

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
GGGGGReat Grandfather fought in the revolutionary war, Six direct ancestors fought in the Civil War, along with many cousins, My great grandfather was a WWII linguist, another was a bomber pilot, another was a decorated sergeant purple heart winner, my one grandfather was in the service, another grandfather was a Vietnam sniper with many confirmed kills, and my dad was in the airforce. You know Lieutenant Dan in Forrest Gump? He had it in his mind that he was predestined for it. I am kinda the same way. I get the speech from my mom every other day about it.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other

IF you consider enlisting , doing so with a job/MOS guarantee is the way to go. Pre-war too.
Don't accept a recruiter saying after you get in you can wait for a position you desire. Their job is to recruit. Not assure you're where you want to be if you don't ensure it..
Otherwise you will just be a pair of feet. A filler of voids.
The discipline suits many folks. More so later in life. There is an adjustment though when returning to civilian life that the military is not responsible for.
Not only food ,shelter,clothing and work , but mentally adjusting too. And active service is not easily translated/transferred for everyone once "back home". As you well know.

Part of having a guarantee is to ensure what you do in the military translates to civilian life later. (Exception for if you would retire from the military of course, but ...You have to hold up your end of the deal to to remain qualified for an MOS..)

Look ahead by research and planning towards education. Before ,during and after service.
When/if you leave the military with a skill /formal job training) that relates to your civilian type ambitions in employment , you gain.

Being a sniper for example , might not excite the railroad human resources department.
Nothing wrong with only being a pair of feet either. But if you can be and get more out of the deal ,you might as well.

You are in charge of you now.
You won't be when in the military as much. Yet...Still in charge of a good part of your present and future ambition.
Thanks for your patriotism , but spend it/yourself wisely too , should you apply yourself in the military.

Last edited:

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have learned by vet accounts NEVER trust a recruiter. Ever.

I have also learned what I want, and I don't want to do anything fancy. If I enlist, I will enlist as a fighter, and nothing else. Support has its advantages, but if we're at war, I'd like to go in war. I already suck at fitting in in the "real" world. The jobs I have chosen are a perfect fit for me. I mostly get to do my own thing, with a limited number of people. Yes, in the military I will NOT be doing my own thing, (:laughing7:), but at least it would be the right thing. What else am I supposed to tell my Nieces and Nephews when WWIII is over? If I don't make it, my brother is a good enough story teller to take my place. :laughing7:

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Rusty,

Fact is go with the Railway career option....lots of other people are prepared to go the military route.

If you choose the Railway which is a very rewarding career be the da*n best at it that you can be.

Real life story about 25 years ago me and a fellow marketeer at the railway were chosen to head up an internal marketing course.
Both of us had only high school education but learned the job from experience and the school of hard knocks.

The teaching group was 5 or 6 people for an intensive 2 day session. We ended up giving about 12 or more sessions over a 2 year period. Long drawn out story but me and Wayne had the time of our life during these courses the rookies consisted mostly new hires who had MBA's.

Be the best you can be at whatever you choose and the world is your oyster.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread