The Sand Can Be Your Enemy Or Ally

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A couple of recent chunckers.
8.5 gram 14k.
10.5 gram pt950 with small diamond.

scrap4.jpg plat4.jpg

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like it!!! :occasion14:

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done Bigscoop, I'm interested to know how in this example, was the sand your ally?

Just trying to let the sand tell me where to hunt. Focusing on it's movements. Where it goes, I don't. I'm always looking to hunt deeper, so whenever I see sand building up I go the other way, wherever that takes me? When sand is building it's my enemy. When it's being removed, or when it's been fairly quickly reshaped, it's my ally. While it may not always seem like it, the entire beach is literally loaded with good targets, it's just a matter of being able to access them. All that sand you see building up on the beach, it had to come from somewhere else, etc.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bigscoop,

Good going on the rings......seems reading the sand is pretty complicated much like trying to figure out my better
half....lol.

Regards + HH

Bill

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This summer will provide the real challenge. Going to be "a lot" of extra sand on the beach if things stay the way they are right now. Need a few good blows between now and then to help keep this sand from settling in too early.

icatchbigcats

Dec 2, 2012
Just south of the Canadian border
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur, E-Trac, Explorer SE, Quatro, Whites PI Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The way I see it bigscoop, you have taught yourself to turn the sand from your enemy to your ally. It tells you where to hunt and where not to hunt.
By the way, thanks for sharing your knowledge in your books, both are great!

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The way I see it bigscoop, you have taught yourself to turn the sand from your enemy to your ally. It tells you where to hunt and where not to hunt.
By the way, thanks for sharing your knowledge in your books, both are great!

Glad you enjoyed the books. Hope some of the information in them will help you as much as it has helped me. :thumbsup:

Ringdigger

Nov 27, 2012
Hawaii
Detector(s) used
excal ll, white's surf PI, Tesoro sand shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
We have some beaches here in Hawaii that can pile 5 feet or more in a day. It is frustrating when you know there are recent losses that can't be detected. Each time the sand moves in or out the heavy metals sink lower and can't be retrieved until a monster storm comes and takes the sand away down to the hard rock. Maybe every 10 years or more. The bottom drops off quickly too so there isn't much under water area to cover especially when it is rough. But it can be productive under ideal conditions. Anyway congrats on your great finds.

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Whites Surfmaster Dual Field, Fisher CZ 6a,Teknetics G2,Deeptech Vista Gold, Tosoro Sand Shark, Minelab Sovereign GT, Sunspot sand scoop
More really good finds! Congrats again!

herb n surf

Jun 12, 2011
Gulf Coast Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites' Pi Pro, Dual Field, and fisher labs' Cz21 , BH Land Star, BH 3300 ,Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Congratulations on the nice rings . WTG !!

occy

Oct 21, 2012
St Aug
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal sword
Primary Interest:
You should be really proud of those! Not because they are awesome and heavy, but because you found them when you did. I am calling it pure skill on your part. This past couple of weeks have been horrible for finds on my beaches. I doubt yours are a whole lot better. Find much else with these?

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should be really proud of those! Not because they are awesome and heavy, but because you found them when you did. I am calling it pure skill on your part. This past couple of weeks have been horrible for finds on my beaches. I doubt yours are a whole lot better. Find much else with these?

I have learned many valuable things from many posters on this site and others that have helped me tremendously. Guys like OBN, Casper, Dewcon, Dewguru, Gary D., Balragian, TH, Whydah, and many, many others. If not always in what they say, but rather the way they say it. But perhaps the most important thing I've learned from them is simply this:

"No question is a stupid one, and every curiosity is worth exploring." :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions