Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been on a silver roll for the last few weeks with 21 pieces last week and 12 this week. Went out yesterday to one of the same parks that's been hunted for years. Tried a new spot and started finding lots of wheaties so I figured there was silver around. Well, there was. Ended up with 6 Mercs and a war nickel. 4 of the Mercs were in a pocket dump. Can't believe I didn't find one Indian although I did find 24 wheaties.

This is an interesting large old park. The spot everyone used to hunt 30-35 years ago was a big field and now is completely overgrown with brush. You can't even swing a loop. The spot I was at yesterday used to be park like with giant old oaks. The oaks are still there, but the grass area is now filled with small saplings. Basically it's hunting the woods, which I like a lot. I guess I'm going to have to keep going back until the ground freezes.

20151218_162508finds.jpg

20151219_075352 dimes.jpg

20151219_075450 dimes reverse.jpg

The pocket dump is below.
20151218_150912.jpg

Upvote 32

thrifty76now

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
Sunman Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT MINELAB SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would go back until the ground was frozen solid and then use a pick axe at that heavily hunted park.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! You're really cleaning up on those silvers!

The Aluminum Monster

Mar 18, 2015
New Bedford, MA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro, Tesoro Mojave, Garrett AT Pro, 5x8 DD, 15" NEL Attack, Garrett Pro-pointer, Pro Series 5x9 sand scoop, 30" Royal Compact sluice, 36" Bazooka Gold Trap, Gold Cube.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I get goosebumps just thinking of all that silver jingling around in your pocket! Great saves!

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow what a great outing. You New York guys & your parks are really killin the silver.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice going on the silver bounty, congrats on the latest hunt.
It seems that the parks have changed over the years as it seems that the maintenance programs get cut back so the urban park themes were adopted, so what the public used a century before is now grown over and it provides a great area for detecting I've found.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I presume you're using the stock coil on the CTX. I know that swinging mine in a stubble field is really annoying - and limiting.

So with that heavy sapling growth, and such a promising place, personally I'd be thinking of a small coil for the CTX. The serious problem is, CTX coils are too danged expensive! At least with my E-Trac, I picked up a 6" for $150. It went with the E-Trac to another honorable member here.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Great day and I see some masked targets are now coming out? And that's a beautiful OD Nickel you found too, Don.

OP
OP
doninbrewster

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I presume you're using the stock coil on the CTX. I know that swinging mine in a stubble field is really annoying - and limiting.

So with that heavy sapling growth, and such a promising place, personally I'd be thinking of a small coil for the CTX. The serious problem is, CTX coils are too danged expensive! At least with my E-Trac, I picked up a 6" for $150. It went with the E-Trac to another honorable member here.

I'm still using the stock coil. Fortunately the saplings aren't too close together to make it tough to swing. Those CTX coils are expensive.

Great day and I see some masked targets are now coming out? And that's a beautiful OD Nickel you found too, Don.

Yes, some of the masked targets are coming out if you have the patience. I think the OD nickel would make him proud. Always nice to add to a pile of silver.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

I'm still using the stock coil. Fortunately the saplings aren't too close together to make it tough to swing. Those CTX coils are expensive.

You just have to follow the guys that change their equipment like underware soon enough the like new coils are sold off. Picked up a 6" for the CTX for $150 all in and it didn't have a scratch. The open web concept is a pain in the stubble, E-Trac stock coil is a pain in the mud as it collects in the web spokes.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet digs, 7 silvers in one hunt and 4 in one hole. I have pulled 3 from one hole, but never 7 in one hunt. That's 3 weeks of silver for me.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like your silver nickel, but I like mine better:laughing7:
Very nice hunt and site!

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two replies beat me to it--------------------use a sharp shooter coil even if you have to use your backup machine. I love my 4.5" in tight places.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread