The Smallest Colonial Flat Button I Have Ever Found!

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found a colonial flat button today about four inches down. Nothing special about it, except that it's only 1/2" in diameter! Thought it was a rivet until I cleaned the dirt off the shank. Without a doubt, the smallest flat button I have ever dug!

DSC02946.JPG DSC02948.JPG

Upvote 6

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is a very small button and a fantastic find. I'll betcha someone on this site can share more knowledge about it's use and age.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are very common on sites dating to around 1800 give or take a few years. It's just a matter of hearing them. If they are down more than 4 inches or so, they are difficult to pick up.

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good find.Sometimes got to listen for that slight sound to find those little cuff buttons.

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a very small button and a fantastic find.

Thanks! I think it's a great find as well, especially in a public park that's full of pull tabs, can slaw and foil. By the way, it rang up as a nickel. Almost didn't dig it, since a nickel signal with my Ace 250 is rarely a nickel!

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those are very common on sites dating to around 1800 give or take a few years. It's just a matter of hearing them. If they are down more than 4 inches or so, they are difficult to pick up.

That must explain why I haven't found mine yet!
Very nice find. I've yet to find a flat one of any size.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I regret to inform you that mine is smaller than yours. both were dug from corn field in Ulster county NY. last week before the 4 days of rain. the tiny one is 7/16" diameter and has lettering on back that is not readable at 25X magnification. both were treated in peroxide bath 6 times and still need help due to the fertilizer damage. IMG_1085.JPG IMG_1086.JPG
Found a colonial flat button today about four inches down. Nothing special about it, except that it's only 1/2" in diameter! Thought it was a rivet until I cleaned the dirt off the shank. Without a doubt, the smallest flat button I have ever dug!

View attachment 1008440 View attachment 1008441

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I regret to inform you that mine is smaller than yours.

I'm not going to touch that statement, but those are very nice finds with the Ace 250!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I regret to inform you that mine is smaller than yours. both were dug from corn field in Ulster county NY. last week before the 4 days of rain. the tiny one is 7/16" diameter and has lettering on back that is not readable at 25X magnification. both were treated in peroxide bath 6 times and still need help due to the fertilizer damage. View attachment 1009290 View attachment 1009291

Can I play?

8mm seems to be the smallest the 18th C examples go. No idea what they used them on, maybe just decor on a sleeve??

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 202

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
they are civilian cuff buttons,find em all the time at colonial sites

Attachments

• IMG_0879.JPG
    IMG_0879.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 74
OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
they are civilian cuff buttons,find em all the time at colonial sites

Not many who post here have access to colonial sites on a regular basis, so finding a 200 year old flat button at a public park is a thrill. If you think they're common and worthless, feel free to send me all your flat buttons ASAP!

Hunthicks

Oct 22, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like finding those little buttons at four or five inches, gives me confidence I'm not missing much!

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find. Out of curiosity, how do you know it's colonial? Is it just the lack of a back mark?

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find. Out of curiosity, how do you know it's colonial? Is it just the lack of a back mark?

It's probably incorrect, but I call any paper thin flat button without a back mark "colonial". Maybe I should call it colonial era flat button instead.

Also, this spot has produced a 1780's Artois shoe buckle, .69 caliber musket balls and 1776 and 1784 half reals, so it could be from that period.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions