The Smallest Colonial Flat Button I Have Ever Found!

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found a colonial flat button today about four inches down. Nothing special about it, except that it's only 1/2" in diameter! Thought it was a rivet until I cleaned the dirt off the shank. Without a doubt, the smallest flat button I have ever dug!

DSC02946.JPGDSC02948.JPG

Upvote 6
That is a very small button and a fantastic find. I'll betcha someone on this site can share more knowledge about it's use and age.

Those are very common on sites dating to around 1800 give or take a few years. It's just a matter of hearing them. If they are down more than 4 inches or so, they are difficult to pick up.

good find.Sometimes got to listen for that slight sound to find those little cuff buttons.

That is a very small button and a fantastic find.

Thanks! I think it's a great find as well, especially in a public park that's full of pull tabs, can slaw and foil. By the way, it rang up as a nickel. Almost didn't dig it, since a nickel signal with my Ace 250 is rarely a nickel!

Those are very common on sites dating to around 1800 give or take a few years. It's just a matter of hearing them. If they are down more than 4 inches or so, they are difficult to pick up.

That must explain why I haven't found mine yet!
Very nice find. I've yet to find a flat one of any size.

I regret to inform you that mine is smaller than yours. both were dug from corn field in Ulster county NY. last week before the 4 days of rain. the tiny one is 7/16" diameter and has lettering on back that is not readable at 25X magnification. both were treated in peroxide bath 6 times and still need help due to the fertilizer damage.IMG_1085.JPGIMG_1086.JPG
Found a colonial flat button today about four inches down. Nothing special about it, except that it's only 1/2" in diameter! Thought it was a rivet until I cleaned the dirt off the shank. Without a doubt, the smallest flat button I have ever dug!

View attachment 1008440View attachment 1008441

I regret to inform you that mine is smaller than yours.

I'm not going to touch that statement, but those are very nice finds with the Ace 250!

I regret to inform you that mine is smaller than yours. both were dug from corn field in Ulster county NY. last week before the 4 days of rain. the tiny one is 7/16" diameter and has lettering on back that is not readable at 25X magnification. both were treated in peroxide bath 6 times and still need help due to the fertilizer damage.View attachment 1009290View attachment 1009291

Can I play?

8mm seems to be the smallest the 18th C examples go. No idea what they used them on, maybe just decor on a sleeve??

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 202
they are civilian cuff buttons,find em all the time at colonial sites

Attachments

• IMG_0879.JPG
    IMG_0879.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 74
they are civilian cuff buttons,find em all the time at colonial sites

Not many who post here have access to colonial sites on a regular basis, so finding a 200 year old flat button at a public park is a thrill. If you think they're common and worthless, feel free to send me all your flat buttons ASAP!

I like finding those little buttons at four or five inches, gives me confidence I'm not missing much!

Nice find. Out of curiosity, how do you know it's colonial? Is it just the lack of a back mark?

Nice find. Out of curiosity, how do you know it's colonial? Is it just the lack of a back mark?

It's probably incorrect, but I call any paper thin flat button without a back mark "colonial". Maybe I should call it colonial era flat button instead.

Also, this spot has produced a 1780's Artois shoe buckle, .69 caliber musket balls and 1776 and 1784 half reals, so it could be from that period.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back