The south rose again. (slightly)

Bell

Jan 13, 2011
Got a chance to get out with Woodland Mike this week and had a great time, only wish we had a better spot. Got back to my CS camp that I had high hopes for only to discover it had been pounded hard. Late to the game I guess. None the less I enjoyed hunting with Mike and had a few finds. I got my sixth NC nessler bullet although this one was destroyed. Also found a fired .69 round ball and another fired minie. Dug a small pewter button, some camp lead, and a what would have been a whole harmonica. Two rheeds stacked perfectly on each other about a foot deep. Also got some unknowns. No idea what the brass comb looking thing is, or the iron stake looking thing or the mechanism on the plate. It definately appears to be a lock with a skeleton keyhole of some sort, although the mechanism looks strange for a lock. Ideas?
2012-01-13195414.jpg

2012-01-13195457.jpg

2012-01-13195516.jpg

Upvote 0

olenodigger

Mar 2, 2007
north florida,U.S
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250,infinum LS,White's Spectra V3i,white's TDI pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The comb like object may be from a curry comb.Nice finds.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
THE LOCKPLATE ( most likely ) THE REMAINS OF A LOCKIBLE WOODEN BOX *- (wood rotted away over time )-- horse curry comb or even maybe a comb / lice comb for human use --the brass comb item

Curious The George

Sep 4, 2008
East Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Metrotech
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The comb looking thing is from a telephone wire. It is half of a tension locking device used to connect wires to stationary objects. With the other half you can put a wire in it and pull and it locks on the wire and holds it in place. The more the pull the tighter it gets and the notches ratchet and won't let it slip back and release. It holds the wire and then another wire, like small cable goes to the connector on the telephone pole. If ever a lineman wants to take the wire down all he has to do is take the tension off of it slide the two pieces in the opposite direction and it will release the wire.

I have found 5-6 of them and usually around where there are power lines and telephone lines running on the power line poles.

OP
OP
B

Bell

Jan 13, 2011
Thanks everyone. I thought the comb might be more modern. I agree on the lock, pretty cool as it looks period. Still no idea on the iron piece but the nessler bullet made the day.

Lakemonster

Mar 20, 2011
Chandler Tx
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Garrett AT PRO, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
BUMP!!!

I got one of those iron whatzits this weekend. Its my second or third to find....but still have no clue as to what it truly is...I do have some speculations.

I suspect that the other sides of these things are broken off.... I have not found a whole one. Looks like a pin goes through and its some sort of shackle that swings.... maybe run some rope through the two depressions... or chain?

Attachments

• ironwhatzit.jpg
    ironwhatzit.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 452
OP
OP
B

Bell

Jan 13, 2011
That's interesting. Definately the same thing. Maybe some sort of tractor hitch or something.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread