the state of floridas " catch 22" why they HAD to change their salvage process

Sapper23

Aug 22, 2007
FL
Detector(s) used
Explor II, seamk
Re: the state of floridas " catch 22" why they HAD to change their salvage process

As residents of Florida for almost 30 years, where could my parents go and see "All artifacts recovered by archaeologists" since they are "forever accessible to scholars, students and the general public" ?

GENERAL PUBLIC????????
I would like to know, where's all the Recovered relic's from Saint Augustine O' my bad.
there in a Mildew Closet on Marine street.
I been down south for awhile Commercial Fishing, rules are changing too. Treasure Hunting,
and Commercial Fishing is in the same boat!!!!

Sapper

OP
OP
ivan salis

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
Re: the state of floridas " catch 22" why they HAD to change their salvage process

uh its "accessible" IF --you know in advance what it is that your looking for --then you go to tallahassee ( to the RA Grey building) during bussiness hours and ask to see it , then after filling out the proper forms and showing your ID you can the "see" the "public's treasure" -- in some very rare cases if you put on gloves you might be able to "almost" touch it --if your lucky that is -- yep its clearly open to the public no doubt about it. (note who its there for to be seen by --- #1 scholars (archies) #2 students (future archies) --and last of all #3 the general public ====who do not know exactly whats in the "collection" and where its and how to access it --- so really the general public has little to no real chance of seeing most of it -- they might see a bit that on display in the basement of the R A Grey building --but most stuff is not on display

diverlynn

Oct 25, 2006
New Smyrna Beach
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Re: the state of floridas " catch 22" why they HAD to change their salvage pro

bikerlawyer,
93 "written opinions"?? You must have had to swim back to shore father than Scott and I and have come in later than we did. There were over 800 (and still going on when we realized what a wasted day!! And many from the same person, and many who knows absolutely nothing about salvage or how items are handled and preserved. I would have thought that strength was in numbers but I was told most did not want their company represented there so as not to be singled out and shunned and ignored at permit time. Shame to have to be "unheard" to try and save an industry we so much believe in. Did anyone else see Dan McClearion sleeping??
The first thing I noticed at the museum was that all the artifacts on display do not even offer the name of the salver or salvage co. who spent their livelyhood and took the physical and financial risks to be able to offer it to the public to see.

Tough world we live in

Diverlynn

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

There were 900+ public comments, and about 10 of them were pro-treasure hunting. This is what I was trying to say, if we would have gotten off our butts and sent in comments, they would have had to read them as well, but instead, we let the zealots stack the deck. I posted one of the form letters above in this thread, it went out to over 600 members of the SAAA. LAMP had a similar email with even more parties receiving it.

We lost step one, that's for sure. Now we will be applying for salvage leases following the new rules, and when are denied...the lawsuits will begin. (step 2) I wish more people would have sent in an email. With the time we all spend on TNET each day, we could have stacked the deck AGAINST them, but only about 10 people managed a few minutes to send something. ::)

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ACLU of Florida

Executive Director: Howard Simon
4500 Biscayne Blvd., Suite 340
Miami, FL 33137
Phone: 786-363-2700
Fax: 305-576-1106
E-mail: [email protected]

Northwest Florida Office:
ACLU Northwest Florida
PO Box 12723
Pensacola, Florida 32591-2723
Phone: 850-429-9128

Legislative Office:
Larry Helm Spalding
Legislative Staff Counsel
ACLU 314 West Jefferson Street
Tallahassee, FL 32301-1608
Phone: 850-425-1050
Fax: 850-425-5097
E-mail: [email protected]

West Central Florida Office:
P.O. Box 18245
Tampa, FL 33679-8245
Phone: 813-254-0925

JoeSWFla

Jun 15, 2007

Well folks,I sent my e-mail in.I asked them to be fair and without prejudice,
and consider where many of the finds they have are from.Also to consider
the funding issues,as private enterprise uses it's own money,not taxpayers.
Am I suprised at the results of the meeting-not at all.Remember they have
access to all the people at the universities,and can get as many letters and
comments as they want.They just use the "herd " mentality,and all the
comments will be as they want them to be.It will have to come down to
"shining the light" on whats going on behind the scene.Like what Steve did
in Alabama.The corruption,misappropriating of funds,misuse of power,etc.,
all came to the surface.A law suit may be the only way to stop this arrogance.
It reminds me of terrorism-if you're not chasing them,they are after you.It's
hard to comprehend that type of narrow minded,prejudiced thinking from a
group of educated people.It's like the KKK of archeologist.Hope they don't
burn a cross on any of the salvor's lawns.It's time to fight.Good luck, Joe

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

This meeting that you all went to was supposed to be a secret meeting so that treasure hunters wouldnt be able to attend,but the info was leaked to a treasure hunter so that we could attend.The state was in direct violation of the laws they make by not notifying anyone else in the treasure industry.

Q. What is the Sunshine Law?
A. Florida's Government-in-the-Sunshine law provides a right of access to governmental proceedings at both the state and local levels. It applies to any gathering of two or more members of the same board to discuss some matter which will foreseeably come before that board for action. There is also a constitutionally guaranteed right of access. Virtually all state and local collegial public bodies are covered by the open meetings requirements with the exception of the judiciary and the state Legislature which has its own constitutional provision relating to access.

Q. What are the requirements of the Sunshine law?
A. The Sunshine law requires that 1) meetings of boards or commissions must be open to the public; 2) reasonable notice of such meetings must be given, and 3) minutes of the meeting must be taken.

Q. What agencies are covered under the Sunshine Law?
A. The Government-in-the-Sunshine Law applies to "any board or commission of any state agency or authority or of any agency or authority of any county, municipal corporation or political subdivision." Thus, it applies to public collegial bodies within the state at both the local as well as state level. It applies equally to elected or appointed boards or commissions.

Q. Are federal agencies covered by the Sunshine Law?
A. Federal agencies operating in the state do not come under Florida's Sunshine law.

Q. Does the Sunshine Law apply to the Legislature?
A. Florida's Constitution provides that meetings of the Legislature be open and noticed except those specifically exempted by the Legislature or specifically closed by the Constitution. Each house is responsible through its rules of procedures for interpreting, implementing and enforcing these provisions. Information on the rules governing openness in the Legislature can be obtained from the respective houses.

Q. Does the Sunshine Law applies to members-elect?
A. Members-elect of public boards or commissions are covered by the Sunshine law immediately upon their election to public off ice.

Q. What qualifies as a meeting?
A. The Sunshine law applies to all discussions or deliberations as well as the formal action taken by a board or commission. The law, in essence, is applicable to any gathering, whether formal or casual, of two or more members of the same board or commission to discuss some matter on which foreseeable action will be taken by the public board or commission. There is no requirement that a quorum be present for a meeting to be covered under the law.

Q. Can a public agency hold closed meetings?
A. There are a limited number of exemptions which would allow a public agency to close a meeting. These include, but are not limited to, certain discussions with the board's attorney over pending litigation and portions of collective bargaining sessions. In addition, specific portions of meetings of some agencies (usually state agencies) may be closed when those agencies are making probable cause determinations or considering confidential records.

Q. Does the law require that a public meeting be audio taped?
A. There is no requirement under the Sunshine law that tape recordings be made by a public board or commission, but if they are made, they become public records.

Q. Can a city restrict a citizen's right to speak at a meeting?
A. Public agencies are allowed to adopt reasonable rules and regulations which ensure the orderly conduct of a public meeting and which require orderly behavior on the part of the public attending. This includes limiting the amount of time an individual can speak and, when a large number of people attend and wish to speak, requesting that a representative of each side of the issue speak rather than every one present.

Q. As a private citizen, can I videotape a public meeting?
A. A public board may not prohibit a citizen from videotaping a public meeting through the use of nondisruptive video recording devices.

Q. Can a board vote by secret ballot?
A. The Sunshine law requires that meetings of public boards or commissions be "open to the public at all times." Thus, use of preassigned numbers, codes or secret ballots would violate the law.

Q. Can two members of a public board attend social functions together?
A. Members of a public board are not prohibited under the Sunshine law from meeting together socially, provided that matters which may come before the board are not discussed at such gatherings.

Q. What is a public record?
A. The Florida Supreme Court has determined that public records are all materials made or received by an agency in connection with official business which are used to perpetuate, communicate or formalize knowledge. They are not limited to traditional written documents. Tapes, photographs, films and sound recordings are also considered public records subject to inspection unless a statutory exemption exists.

Q. Can I request public documents over the telephone and do I have to tell why I want them?
A. Nothing in the public records law requires that a request for public records be in writing or in person, although individuals may wish to make their request in writing to ensure they have an accurate record of what they requested. Unless otherwise exempted, a custodian of public records must honor a request for records, whether it is made in person, over the telephone, or in writing, provided the required fees are paid. In addition, nothing in the law requires the requestor to disclose the reason for the request.

Q. How much can an agency charge for public documents?
A. The law provides that the custodian shall furnish a copy of public records upon payment of the fee prescribed by law. If no fee is prescribed, an agency is normally allowed to charge up to 15 cents per one-sided copy for copies that are 14" x 8 1/2" or less. A charge of up to $1 per copy may be assessed for a certified copy of a public record. If the nature and volume of the records to be copied requires extensive use of information technology resources or extensive clerical or supervisory assistance, or both, the agency may charge a reasonable service charge based on the actual cost incurred.

Q. Does an agency have to explain why it denies access to public records?
A. A custodian of a public record who contends that the record or part of a record is exempt from inspection must state the basis for that exemption, including the statutory citation. Additionally, when asked, the custodian must state in writing the reasons for concluding the record is exempt.

Q. When does a document sent to a public agency become a public document?
A. As soon as a document is received by a public agency, it becomes a public record, unless there is a legislatively created exemption which makes it confidential and not subject to disclosure.

Q. Are public employee personnel records considered public records?
A. The rule on personnel records is the same as for other public documents ... unless the Legislature has specifically exempted an agency's personnel records or authorized the agency to adopt rules limiting public access to the records, personnel records are open to public inspection. There are, however, numerous statutory exemptions that apply to personnel records.

Q. Can an agency refuse to allow public records to be inspected or copied if requested to do so by the maker or sender of the documents?
A. No. To allow the maker or sender of documents to dictate the circumstances under which documents are deemed confidential would permit private parties instead of the Legislature to determine which public records are public and which are not.

Q. Are arrest records public documents?
A. Arrest reports prepared by a law enforcement agency after the arrest of a subject are generally considered to be open for public inspection. At the same time, however, certain information such as the identity of a sexual battery victim is exempt.

Q. Is an agency required to give out information from public records or produce public records in a particular form as requested by an individual?
A. The Sunshine Law provides for a right of access to inspect and copy existing public records. It does not mandate that the custodian give out information from the records nor does it mandate that an agency create new records to accommodate a request for information.

Q. What agency can prosecute violators?
A. The local state attorney has the statutory authority to prosecute alleged criminal violations of the open meetings and public records law. Certain civil remedies are also available.

Q. What is the difference between the Sunshine Amendment and the Sunshine Law?
A. The Sunshine Amendment was added to Florida's Constitution in 1976 and provides for full and public disclosure of the financial interests of all public officers, candidates and employees. The Sunshine Law provides for open meetings for governmental boards.

Q. How can I find out more about the open meetings and public records laws?
A. Probably the most comprehensive guide to understanding the requirements and exemptions to Florida's open government laws is the Government-in-the-Sunshine manual compiled by the Attorney General's Office. The manual is updated each year and is available for purchase through the First Amendment Foundation in Tallahassee. For information on obtaining a copy, contact the First Amendment Foundation at (850) 224-4555.

The fight begins.....

bikerlawyer

Jan 9, 2008
Melbourne Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I was there at the start of the meeting, had submitted my written comments the day before, but could have sworn they said there were 93 written opinions.

I may be wrong, but if there were 900, at an average length of 1 minute of reading, it would have taken 15 hours to read them all!

I left around 3:00 cause I was so disgusted I couldn't listen to it anymore.

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS

ScubaFinder said:
...if we would have gotten off our butts and sent in comments, they would have had to read them as well, but instead, we let the zealots stack the deck. I posted one of the form letters above in this thread, it went out to over 600 members of the SAAA. LAMP had a similar email with even more parties receiving it.

Jason,

There are at least 8 of my associates that sent in the electronic comments from the link that I witnessed personally and I also know of more than a few that sent in snail mail - and that's just in tiny little Pensacola. You can bet your bottom dollar that if they had 3000 pro-treasure hunting letters they would have never let that stack be anywhere near their questionable anti-treasure hunting stack to read from. I do admire and respect your passion with this whole thing, I just wanted to point out that I do think many people from our side of the fence did send in their comments. Nothing you can do when they're playing with a loaded deck.

The only reason why they had a "meeting" was to be on record as it being a parliamentary proceeding that fits in to the loose term of democracy. If they truly wanted to "protect" these sites, they wouldn't have slammed the door on salvors - I think it's more a matter of them exercising their muscle to what they perceive as THEIR territory. It's almost as if they want to encourage the plundering of illegal sites. It just doesnt make sense. You can bet they just created a very large looting community.

Pcola

fllawboy

Feb 19, 2008
Weston, Florida
Detector(s) used
White MXT/Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

This type of argument for state action to "benefit the public" drives me crazy! I see more benefit to finding this lost treasure than letting it remain lost. Doesn't the public benefit more from having these items found and preserved than not ever having them see the light of day and possibly being lost forever. How much treasure over the years has been found and the state just sat on it and done nothing with it, not even put it on display for the "public" to enjoy? Also, what about the economic impact of this decision? How many more jobs and industries can Florida afford to loose to stupidity? Where would we be today if our state leaders had had the foresight to come up with an environmentally sound drilling policy for offshore oil? Do you think we would have 4 dollar gas today if they had. As with the oil issue, peoples opinions can and do change.

I do not understand why we cannot put a system together like they have in England. From everything I have seen it seems to work well and there seems to be a good relationship between Treasure Hunters/Salvers and the Archaeologist. Under the English system the public truly is benefited.

I think it is time that we took a more organized approach to this problem, that is what the Archaeologists did. If this rule change passes it will not only kill the salvage industry it will eventually result in the death of metal detecting in Florida. We need to come together and get sufficient numbers so our voices will be heard. If anyone else feels this way, please contact me so that we can start coming up with our own plan to deal with this situation. Besides being an avid treasure hunter (on weekends) I am a full time attorney here in Florida, so if my day job can help the cause out, I am ready.

We need to form a political action group and lobby for change in the state government. We need to do public service commercials to truly educate the public on the situation and the economic benefit of the industry. We need to get Archaeologist who would support a law similar to that of England on board with us. This is a fight that can be won, it will just take time and organized effort. An entire industry in Florida could be destroyed because of ignorance and stupidity, we need to take a stand.

ScubaDude

Bronze Member
Oct 10, 2006
Coastal, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS, Garret Seahunter MK II, Geometrics 882, Marine Sonic SS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You'd think the overall goal of research, exploration, discovery, and learning that some acceptable common ground could be agreed upon.

To sit back and suggest that the resources are best left rotting is contrary to reality.

The other issue that is not getting raised is that all the wrecks in state waters were given to them under the Abandoned Shipwreck Act of 1987. They were also given rather explicit guidelines with respect to managing them. At some point this get pushed to another level, I'm surprised no one has in TX and some other states.

Interesting reading: http://www.nps.gov/archeology/submerged/intro.htm

The state governments and university's combined don't have the resources to even begin to even locate and vaguely identify the vast numbers of sites and anomalies. As Jason said earlier we're willing to do it right on our nickle, how can you legally prevent it from happening.

The other double standard at play here is that there are permits being given to other interested wreck hunting groups with little or no training, supervision, and they are poorly funded and equipped. How is it that they are allowed to operate under the radar? And their actions are acceptable? Are they going to shut them down too, I suspect they'll soon have a dog in this fight too.

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

To the lawyers here that want to help,or anyone else for that matter.There already is a organization that has been formed to fight this.Its called "HSSPC" Historic Shipwreck Policy Council of Florida.I dont know if they have a website or not.Those in charge are Jim sinclair,John Brandon and taffy fisher and a few others.
I would like to help but dont know what to do,im not a lawyer,all i can do is spread the word on the net an maybe keel haul a few that dont agree with us.I do have a 2 good friends thats are private investigators and friends in the media biz as well.

http://www.imacdigest.com/future.html

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Fisheye, I'm a member of HSPC, I mentioned the organization above. Biker Lawyer was also at the last meeting, so the one who wants to help is already there...it's coming. They don't have a website yet, but I'm getting ready to start on it, just need a few minutes with Taffi.

Jason

Trez

May 10, 2006
Treasure Coast (Vero Beach) to Sebastian
Detector(s) used
Sov Elite, CZ20, Minelab Sovereign XS, Explorer II, My eyeballs to bloody fingers have done me well also.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ScubaFinder,

In actuality, how many people went to the this meeting that have posted on this topic or thread?

I should say, actually attended the meeting w/ active participation and voice.

Taking a quote from your earlier post.
"I'd like to know from where so we can add it to our list of things to discuss at the meeting next week." Jason

Can you inform us as to what "you" actually voiced (in general) during the meeting and how much impact you feel it may have had? you are passionate about this we all see and commend you for your efforts and looking forward to your comments?

Trez

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

It's not that complicated. A lawsuit will be forthcoming. Who knows by whom? They better not focus on "fairness of rules," but focus on the current property of the people of Florida.

How much is really accounted for?
How much has been recovered by nonprofit vs. salvors?
Is the conservation between the two groups that different?
What is the current status of that conservation by the state? By salvors?
How accessible is it to the people they claim it belongs to?
How accessible are the artifacts salvors have recovered?

Answer these and a few more questions and it really shatters the core of their defense. Forget the looters - does the state think thieves will suddenly pay attention to these new rules? They're looters for crying out loud! You have to design the law for those who are trying to do it right. And those who are trying to do it right will have to show the state the error of their ways in a courtroom, not in "public" meetings or forums.

fllawboy

Feb 19, 2008
Weston, Florida
Detector(s) used
White MXT/Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Darren makes a good point, but be prepared as a lawsuit is not a cheap solution. If that is the way this is going to go, everyone involved is going to have to be prepared for a long and costly fight. I think there needs to be a two prong attack on this issue: A lawsuit and lobbying efforts for a new law or overhaul of the existing law. If you choose one over the other you are limiting your chances of success in my humble opinion.

It might also be time to reinvent the public image of the industry and hobby. A few years back the American Trial Lawyers Association did some research and found that the term "Trial Lawyer" had a negative image with the public so they changed their name to the "American Association for Justice." I am not sure if it has made a difference or not, but it is something to think about. Public image today has a lot to do with the results you are able to achieve in business and in dealing with the government.

From what I have experienced, the general public misunderstands treasure hunters in general. They do not see the good that comes out of our activities. How much history has come to light because of the activity of treasure hunters? I would say a lot and it is time the public is made aware of that.

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The DHR has opened the door for changes in the rules, and changes are needed big time. We should, as a community embrace this opportunity to work within the states rule making guidelines to effect a positive change in our behalf. This will take allot of hard work as the deck is currently stacked against us. However, all is not yet lost. This will be a game of political brinks-manship that will have to be fought on multiple fronts both publically and politically.
Our numbers a small, and I believe that the treasure hunting community is up to the task. We need to unite and organize now!

Tom

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Treasure hunters seem to be apathetic to forming a united front. HSPC is powerless, the DHR just ignores them. They are not the first ones. It started 14 years ago with the Treasure Coast Coalition. Nothing happened. Then came ProSea and then Sea Rex. Again- nothing changed. What we need is to sue the DHR but like fllawboy pointed out it is going to be expensive. Who will pay?

Reefdrifter

Jan 4, 2008
Punta Gorda, Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark

Hello All,
Having read along with this topic for awhile I am wondering......If the state of Florida requires "Approved" Archies on each treasure hunting boat and those archies can not work for a hunter that sells for profit his findings, the how do the Fishers do it? I have to believe they too must have the "Approved" Archie on each boat and we all know they sell some of what they find. Am I missing something? Are they Grandfathered in and don't follow the same rules?

OP
OP
ivan salis

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

grandfathered -- prior leases --so long as they are renewed the terms of the past hold -- these leases were before the archies had to be "state approved" most likely so a "normal archie" most likely covers the terms of contract --- besides their are a few "grandfathered" archies from the past --the state lost to mel fisher over the 1715 fleet and thus they fairly much leave them be via sepreme court order in the 1715 wreck site area -- the state and fed govt took a real "black eye" in that one

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions