The Summer has come to an end...but not before more Spanish Silver!!!

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well yesterday I was able to get out just once more (baby is due in three weeks and next weekend I am tied up on campus with work) so this was officially it. I almost did not even go, but boy am I glad I did.

I immediately started back at the latest bullet hotspot, and it is still hot. I plucked about 15 or 17 bullets from the spot and then moved on a few yards to where I dug the dime last weekend. After digging half of a beautiful shoe buckle, I hunkered down and began to slowly grid the area. I dug a few small pieces of lead and then BAM a nice solid high-tone on the AT Gold and a few seconds later I was holding a beautiful 1722, 2-reale pistareen. I was a happy guy, and content, but I decided to give it another 30 minutes or so.

A few buttons surfaced along with a few more musket balls and then finally the other half to the shoe buckle, along with pieces of others (I will find you all HA HA) when I decided it was time to head out. I decided to walk back to the bullet spot one last time to dig one more good target. Walking towards my "end point" I suddenly got a nice mixed tone, I immediately thought either bit button or perhaps a piece of silver. Imagine my surprise when it turned out to be a nice 1 real 1669 cob - my day was complete. The coins cleaned up pretty well after solution bath and quick charge.

During the day I also dug some big lead, the large net weight and super large lead scale weight (both blew my headphones off) had me believing in something amazing until they came out.

In total, I ended up with 22 musket balls, 3 buttons (the small brass one is not a tack, it is a small high-dome button) the shoe buckle, other do dads (pewter spoons, furniture brass) and the two coins.

Well the summer has been good to me and the silver has been plentiful - it will still be there for me next summer - I will find them HA HA. I told Bill this week that it dawned on me when i realized the first silver coin I found this summer was an 1838 seated dime, and I thought last weekend was my last trip and it yielded a 1838 seated time...first and last...glad it did not work out that way as these two make me happy.

HH

Dan

Attachments

• 1a.JPG
    1a.JPG
    674.7 KB · Views: 174
  • 1b.JPG
    1b.JPG
    485.7 KB · Views: 176
  • 1c.JPG
    1c.JPG
    617.2 KB · Views: 176
  • 1d.JPG
    1d.JPG
    635.3 KB · Views: 165
  • 1e.JPG
    1e.JPG
    652 KB · Views: 169
  • 1f.JPG
    1f.JPG
    430.8 KB · Views: 180
  • 1g.JPG
    1g.JPG
    486.8 KB · Views: 188
  • 1h.JPG
    1h.JPG
    488.6 KB · Views: 168
  • 1i.JPG
    1i.JPG
    527.7 KB · Views: 145
  • 1j.JPG
    1j.JPG
    400.6 KB · Views: 173
  • 1k.JPG
    1k.JPG
    615.5 KB · Views: 209
  • 1l.JPG
    1l.JPG
    647.8 KB · Views: 212
Upvote 17

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd call that an all around complete hunt. The pistareen would have made my year and then the cob!! Congrats on an amazing day. Were these all water finds? It would be hard to keep me away from a site like this but you have much more important things to take care of. Congratulations on the your soon to come baby.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was a heck of a day Dan. You have had a great "wet" season.

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Real nice finds! In a couple months you will be willing to trade all those silvers for a good nights sleep....LOL

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are a couple of real beauties buddy! Congrats on a fantastic summer of finds. Man those are nice

Auriemma

Jul 24, 2014
SE PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab: Sov XS; Sov XS2 Pro ; XS2a Pro ; E-TRAC; Profind 25, Garrett PP AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow... Great finds!

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
that would be a dream hunt in my neck of the woods, really nice, of course I would be totally calm and collect after finding all of that (yeah right!). if this is your last hunt for a while, what a way to end it! congrats

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that would be a dream hunt in my neck of the woods, really nice, of course I would be totally calm and collect after finding all of that (yeah right!). if this is your last hunt for a while, what a way to end it! congrats

Ha yea I stay fairly calm, but the 2 reale did get me to give a few fist pumps. I will be hunting for sure but the summer is winding down over the next two to three weeks and during that time I won't be out. If it is still warm enough in early October I might be able to swing back for a bit, if not, will be in the woods for sure.

bootybandit

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2014
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21,
Tecnetics Omega 8000,
T-Rex 9.5"
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Really nice! Congrats!

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy crap... Please clean off the scale counter balance weight and post...my goodness man!!

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Another heck of a day Dan. You don't see many whole pistareens around here, especially of the 2 reale variety. And that pillar and waves cob is another great indication as to the early occupancy of the site. You've accumulated a huge pile of relics and coins from that site. I'd like to see you need to post a group shot of all your summer finds, or at least do the silver coins. I've lost track you've dug so many this summer. Even if you can't make it back out this fall the site will be waiting for you next summer. Congrats on an unbelievably productive water hunting season.

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can definitely see the dagger mark, and it looks like there are others. Nice trade weight!

I can make out one of the others - it is a crown, the other is too worn to tell. I saw the dagger initially, I know it means it was stamped/checked in london. I am happy with it.

This sucker took me about 20 minutes to get out of the clay (1' down)

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread