THE TOP 5 in 27 years check it out....it is fierce and terrible COOL!!!!!!!

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
well this is a childs toy bow we found made from bone....... it broke and we glued it together
we found one about 20 years ago and it broke into several pcs and we never found all the pieces.....it was only half the size of this one but i still got the pieces
there was no camera available for an insitu.........but this is one of the top five coolest things ever to come from the great mandan site
get ready for this....sit down..my friends....it is a childs toy bow
i have wrapped some waxed linen thread on it to help illustrate its purpose as a toy......now i really think this is a good one.....once in a lifetime

IMG_0140.jpg

IMG_0142.jpg

IMG_0138.jpg

IMG_0144.jpg

IMG_0145.jpg

IMG_0133.jpg

Upvote 0

coteau

Apr 12, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-TERRA 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey nice find!
You should check out the museum in Washburn if you're ever up that way. I believe it's called the Mclean County Museum (not the Lewis & Clark Interpretive Center). Anyway there are numerous styles of bows and arrows there that I believe came from the historic village sites in the area before they moved to Fort Berthold. There is a child's bow there but I think it is larger than yours and not made from bone, but I'm just going by a ten year old memory. You might want to check it tho for comparative purposes...

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is truly the find of a lifetime! :notworthy: I'm so happy to that it's up there on the BANNER for all to see!

NewsMan

Mar 25, 2011
Ok... so I am putting this together... You guys were out at the site of a Mandan village... rain came and did you all a big favor, tons of relics to be found including this bow which was in pieces. Got it! Congrats, that is real cool.

swamp yankee

Jun 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a lifetime find for sure! You've saved a priceless piece from the ravages of weather/time! Thanks and HH ...

OP
OP
larson1951

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
Ok... so I am putting this together... You guys were out at the site of a Mandan village... rain came and did you all a big favor, tons of relics to be found including this bow which was in pieces. Got it! Congrats, that is real cool.

yup i have been the caretaker of this mandan site since 1986 for my high school friend john......twitko helps us also
the 30 acre site has a lot of red rooted pig weed, prostrate knot grass(which grows all winter long even under the snow), and also a bad problem with creeping jenny aka field bindweed
we cannot spray as there are5 shallow wells on the watershed west side
so we must turn the field over with a duckfoot several times each season......i set the stroke control at a depth of 5 inches for the 18" sweeps (shovels)......
we wait as long as we can as the weeds grow fast.....when i hear of a hard rain coming i gamble and turn the dirt over and hope for a good old fashioned gulley washer.....
.......well this time it happened, the rain was real hard and heavy and washed off many artifacts.....when we get a hard rain right after the dirt was turned over
we are able to find quite a bit..thanks much

larson1951

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first guess was way to small for a child's bow. From what I could tell its only about 6-12 inches long. :icon_scratch: I think its a fire bow too, from what I can tell they come in all shapes and sizes but....What do I know....?? :dontknow:
Cool find, congratulations on a banner find !! :notworthy:
Keep @ it and HH !! :laughing7:

kinchafoonee

Apr 2, 2013
SoWeGa
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is just too cool. Rarest of the rare! Think of how many clovis points we have seen, but how many bone bows have we seen.

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
Good method of weed control! win-win for everyone. Awesome find, congrats on the banner

OP
OP
larson1951

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
My first guess was way to small for a child's bow. From what I could tell its only about 6-12 inches long. :icon_scratch: I think its a fire bow too, from what I can tell they come in all shapes and sizes but....What do I know....?? :dontknow:
Cool find, congratulations on a banner find !! :notworthy:
Keep @ it and HH !! :laughing7:

hey hey thanks
today an archeologist looked at it and said that is super rare and it is only the second one he has ever seen
as far as the fire drill/bow drill idea goes he said the same thing i posted on this thread......

....."the mandan plains indians did not recognize the fire drill......they did not know what they were and they did not have them"

pat my archeologist friend was at the site today to pick raspberries he has lived and studied archeology here in the bismarck-mandan area all his life
......i have been friends with him since we were 5 years old

steve

OP
OP
larson1951

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
we are trying to find the broke childs bow that we found about 20+ years ago
i think it is inside one of these 7or 8 coffee cans that are full of broke bone tools

i found this one right on top when i opened up one of the cans
i am hoping to find the other broke examples soon so i can post them here

IMG_0204.jpg

IMG_0205.jpg

IMG_0208.jpg

CrazySlasher

Jul 6, 2010
SS of MA.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac w/Sunray probe and 15' WoTcoil.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely stunning.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions