The Trilogy of Pits Begins and Ends solving a 100 year old Urban Legend!!!

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Hopefully you will stay with me for this most intriguing story of a mystery that is over 100 years in the making. An Urban Legend of Northern Indiana that may have been finally solved by some research, pit finding luck, Forensic Anthropologists, Indiana University Archaeologists and the Historians of one of the Richest business familes of the late 1800's located in South Bend Indiana.

The story began somewhere around the 1840's - 1850's where a child was born and eventually grew up to be associated with the personal family Physician of the Oliver Family of the Oliver Chilled Plow Works. Oliver was absolutely rich by todays standards let alone the late 1800's. He enjoyed a life similar to that of the Studebaker Families. Let's just say the Oliver Mansion is now one of the best Museums in the country at over 12,000 square feet that is loaded with the kinds of treasures we all love to find.

Back to the child that was born in the mid 1800's...The Urban Legend known to many in these parts including the current homeowner and the Heritage Foundation(Previous Owners) as well as the local Anthropologists and Archaeologists have always known of an "Unknown" grave that was located somewhere close to the Oliver Estate but this was always the things of Myths and Legends.

The story follows a path of a person indigent and out of money, sick and in need of a doctors care. His debt paid to the doctor only after death! :'( The home in which this tale unfolds was built in 1879 and was owned by a lady that was the Tutor of the Oliver Children. The home was located 100 feet away from the Mansion. But the Mansion was not yet built. It appeared in the late 1890's. As years went by the home was sold to the Doctor of the Oliver Family. Sometime around the turn of the century. Now the Oliver Mansion was built and the Doctor had easy access to the Family and all of its needs.

It was during this time that the child, who was now at the age of around 40 to 50, was being treated by the Oliver's Personal Doctor. The Legend continues to say that this person could not pay for all of his ills. His debt to the Doctor would be paid back after his death by way of his own donation to science. His body donated to the Oliver Family Doctor for his continued works, teachings and healings. It was then that the Doctor would eventually make a Medical Skeleton of the man.

But then what happened to the skeleton over the years? The timeline of the homeowners was muddied through the decades to come and the Urban Legends fame began to grow. In the early 1970's another family moved into the home and discovered a box in the attic :o They opened it and found a Medical Skeleton inside.( A strange side note was that the Anthropologists mother was friends with the family and her daugther baby sat for their children.) The mother remembered that the kids took the skeleton and spray painted it yellow. Maybe to use it for a scary Halloween scene or whatever the kids used to do with things like this. :dontknow: Sometime around the later 1970's the kids were made to bury this skeleton in a proper manner and place a grave marker on it that said "UNKNOWN".

Flash forward to Wednesday where two crazy bottle diggers made their presence. It took us over a month to finally come back to this property and dig a pit that we thought was "Iffy" at best. We thought we had plenty of other pits to dig that felt better. But I told Don that we needed to go back and dig this particular one. Since we knew the house was built in 1879 it may hold some treasures or "Unknown things". We never saw this marker when we probed for the privy, but now it was there. Sitting in the corner of the property 30 feet away from where we wanted to dig. The baby sitter later told us that it was on the other side of the yard back in the 1970's. So it never really crossed our minds because we did not know of the Urban Legend....Yet! :-X

So now we dig...Funny how this pit was so hard. The soil like concrete and no signs of glass but it did have a distinctive cap. I pushed the probe rod down and through into what I thought was the use layer. A couple more shovel fulls of dirt and I saw a piece of cloth. It looked like old curtain cloth, white and still fairly intact. Don said " Man, I think that looks like the inside of a coffin". I said no way man. I then used my hand rake and the first thing I pulled out stuck to the rake was the lower jaw of a human :o :o A couple of teeth were still there. The next thing was a Femur, large enough to be an adult. Then I pulled out what was the hands and feet. Connected together with intricate wiring as if a master had done his handy work. Strange though, these things were painted yellow. An obvious sign, at least to us, that we had uncovered a medical skeleton. Now it was time to call the professionals!

So my coworkers wife who just so happens to be an Anthropologist was called. Her husband is a homicide detective as well. So they both came out to the pit. He immediately called the county coroner and advised him of our find. He said it would be the jurisdiction of the DNR and the anthropology departments at either Indiana University or Notre Dame. Several more calls were made and paperwork filed to secure the site for the Indiana University professors and students to come and take over the site. They soon arrived and began their work. Dedicated to preserving what we had found so that they could continue their research at the lab. It took two days to uncover and retrieve all the historical bones, the cloth and parts of the box. They had heard of the Urban Legend and said that they would do all the research that they could to properly identify the remains, contact any possible relatives, and possibly donate this find to the Oliver Museum as a historical find and the solving of a 100 year old Urban Legend. :thumbsup:

Now I know some might find these pictures a bit disturbing and I am sorry for that. But these photographs depict the finding of a man lost to years of myths and stories of a man who donated himself to the cause of medical science. I respect that more than anything and this is why I called the proper people to investigate. Sure we could have uncovered the first bone and then reburied it, but we had this feeling of solving something. That sixth sense of getting closure, even for a family long since gone. If not for the museums sake and the history of it all, then lets hope we can place a name on this UNKNOWN man and get him a final resting place that would be fitting for a person who gave his death to the lives of others. :)

There are photo's of our first days pit dig, then the Urban Legend dig, and then finally a farm dig that unearthed a cache of Spear Points and a Beautiful Clasped Hands historical flask. On a final note, please be careful while digging as I finished the three days with seven stitches in my forearm from a shard of glass that was stuck in the side of the pit next to the boulder. Can you say OUCH! I Did :tongue3: I hope you enjoyed the novel as well as the many pictures. Be safe out there and hope to get some more digging in before the cold hits :thumbsup: jgas

Attachments

• s3.JPG
    s3.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 2,052
  • s13.JPG
    s13.JPG
    77.6 KB · Views: 2,046
  • s12.JPG
    s12.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 2,039
  • s11.JPG
    s11.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 2,053
  • s10.JPG
    s10.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 2,045
  • s9.JPG
    s9.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 2,052
  • s8.JPG
    s8.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 2,057
  • s7.JPG
    s7.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 2,054
  • s6.JPG
    s6.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 2,052
  • s5.JPG
    s5.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 2,061
  • s15.JPG
    s15.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 2,040
  • s14.JPG
    s14.JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 2,052
Upvote 0
OP
OP
jgas

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
The continuation of pics....

Attachments

• s24.JPG
    s24.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 2,010
  • s23.JPG
    s23.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 2,021
  • s22.JPG
    s22.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 2,033
  • s21.JPG
    s21.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 2,026
  • s19.JPG
    s19.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 2,030
  • s16.JPG
    s16.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 2,029
  • s25.JPG
    s25.JPG
    67.4 KB · Views: 2,010
  • s26.JPG
    s26.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 2,009
  • s27.JPG
    s27.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 2,016
  • s28.JPG
    s28.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 2,002
  • s29.JPG
    s29.JPG
    77.3 KB · Views: 1,999
  • s30.JPG
    s30.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 2,004
OP
OP
jgas

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
More pics to check out....

Attachments

• s35.JPG
    s35.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 1,987
  • s36.JPG
    s36.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 1,988
  • s37.JPG
    s37.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 1,973
  • s38.JPG
    s38.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 1,978
  • s39.JPG
    s39.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 1,981
  • s41.JPG
    s41.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 1,968
  • s42.JPG
    s42.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 1,974
  • s34.JPG
    s34.JPG
    43.2 KB · Views: 1,982
  • s33.JPG
    s33.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 1,981
  • s31.JPG
    s31.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 1,995
  • s32.JPG
    s32.JPG
    93.3 KB · Views: 1,998
  • s43.JPG
    s43.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 1,971
OP
OP
jgas

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
And more for the road....

Attachments

• s49.JPG
    s49.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 1,964
  • s53.JPG
    s53.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 1,961
  • s52.JPG
    s52.JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 1,957
  • s51.JPG
    s51.JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 1,966
  • s50.JPG
    s50.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 1,959
  • s49.JPG
    s49.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 1,970
  • s48.JPG
    s48.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 1,977
  • s47.JPG
    s47.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 1,965
  • s44.JPG
    s44.JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 1,981
  • s54.JPG
    s54.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 1,965

junkhunter

Oct 4, 2010
only ever found 1 grave myself

cool bottles,found a grave marker once that was 2 foot down.told owner about it.he said it was in deed but had no idea who,or where it was till i told him.he almost put a parking lot on top of grave,adjusted it over a few feet after i found it.very cool finds you got their.

Tigger

Mar 6, 2011
N Central Fla
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love reading your posts and this was no exception. Now that his remains are no longer needed for science, I hope he is reburied in a cemetery and his name found. Please keep us posted about their progress!

Love those points and the clasped hands bottle! Get well soon!
Tigger

OP
OP
jgas

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Thanks for the replies guys. Sorry the story was a bit long. I am healing up quick and hope to get back out there real soon. :thumbsup: jgas

jimbob450

Feb 26, 2008
spokane,wa.
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic I.D.
That is one of the most interesting things i have read.Glad you solved the
legend. Hope your arm heals o.k. Jimbob 450

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great story and finds!!!!!!!! MR TUFF

ridger12

Apr 4, 2005
Sandy Ridge Pa
Detector(s) used
Minlab e-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, we have pulled some odd stuff out privies but never a skeleton! Congratulations on the goodies, that Eagle Flask is great. I have only found one and it was in pieces. Those arrowheads are cool too. You should post more pics of that flask after it is cleaned up. It has to be a banner worthy find.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that is a treasure hunting story! Very cool,awesome finds and the flask is fantastic!! The story of the skeleton is pretty wild to know people painted it yellow for show. I was in a pub/restaurant in Scottland a few years back and they had a medical skeleton on the wall right over our table. Pretty wild. I could not help but wonder the story behind it.

OP
OP
jgas

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Thanks for all the replies everyone. I will surely get the flask as clean as possible and post a few pics of it. Maybe even tomorrow. We find pieces of them fairly regularly but the whole ones are tough to come by thats for sure. It was our first intact Clasped Hands Flask! :thumbsup: Thanks again for the replies and the Banner knod :icon_thumleft: jgas

diggin jimmy hoffa

Oct 5, 2007
Somewhere in Michiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus for now
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome story about the dig and most fitting for the Halloween season.

3 guns in 1 pit? Real or toys?

Take care of that arm and try to be a bit more careful next time.

Baggins

Bronze Member
Jan 2, 2007
TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV / Garrett Ace 250/Minelab X-Terra 70
VERY cool story, and NICELY done!
Baggins

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fantastic story and finds. those points are awesome! :headbang:

OP
OP
jgas

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
The Chas. Dennehy bottle is a whiskey from Chicago circa 1898 or later. Thanks for the replies guys. :thumbsup: jgas

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread