The ultimate tot lot machine?

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK all you tot lot hunters. I'm looking for the ultimate in tot lot detectors. Hunting tot lots makes up a good 50% of my hunting so I figure having the best would be nice.

I understand that "the best" will vary, most of the time, from user to user, but tot lotting has a few particulars that does target specific needs. Sensitivity to small gold, the ability to get close to playground equipment and light.

So what do you think would be the ultimate tot lot detector and why?

Thanks

Personally I've used the White's DFX, The Minelab E-Trac, the Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus and the Tesoro Silver uMax in tot lots, and each seemed to have pros and cons.

The E-Trac pulled jewelry from greater depths than any of the others, but is clumsy to use in a tot lot environment. Doesn't do well in getting in close to equipment.

The DFX does very well with good depth and in my opinion the most sensitive to small targets once adjusted, but shares the same clumsy issue as the E-Trac. Putting on the 4x6 DD shooter does make it one of my top choices for tot lots.

The Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus is a good solid hunter with fair depth and sensitivity. It does very well getting in close to playground equipment even with the stock coil. It is a bit on the clumsy side balance wise.

The Tesoro Silver uMax wins hands down when it comes to a light simple tot lot detector. With the stock coil is does fair in the sensitivity to small gold challenge. Depth isn't bad. What I don't like is having no threshold as I like to hear any little changes that could indicate a target good or bad.

LittleJohn

Apr 7, 2010
South Central, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Etrac,Fisher F75,Tesoro Golden UMax, Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For me the Golden UMax has been very good in the Tot Lots, however I only have the silver UMax to compare it to so far.

The silver also does a very nice job, but I like the different tones on the golden, especially the ones that say DIG!!!!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the DFX, but for tot lots I enjoy the Tesoro's light weight detectors. You can get close to swing sets with the smaller coils and find the tiny pieces of jewelry and coins.

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
Sandman said:
I have the DFX, but for tot lots I enjoy the Tesoro's light weight detectors. You can get close to swing sets with the smaller coils and find the tiny pieces of jewelry and coins.

Agreed, and I'm sure tabdog will too. :thumbsup:

Haven't heard from him lately. Maybe he will chime in on this thread. :)

OP
OP
Digger

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes Tesoro was my first choice because they are so light, but I tried the Silver uMax and didn't really care for it. It's a great detector and all, but I prefer to have a threshold so I can hear even the slightest changes, and a pinpoint mode. Pinpointing was pretty easy with the Silver uMax, but I'd still prefer a pinpoint mode. I know I can move on up the Tesoro line to get those features, but I feel if I'm going to pay that much, I'd might as well use my DFX.

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
I like the Silver Umax for the tot lots. With adjustable sensitivity, you can get in close to metal objects. I have had some high dollar detectors, but in the tot lots where I dig anything but iron, the Silver is awsome.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Good points Digger.

High end machines are just overkill in totlots. The Tesoro is a great all around rig. Bumped into a guy today using an XLT in the totlot with a giant coil on it. Advised him there was some new scraped dirt nearby and he liked that better. (then I finished the playground with my GC1023)

Still using my old 1235X in most totlot scenarios I run into, simple beep/dig. Doesn't get bothered by the posts and hardware as much as higher-end machines will and doesn't get bogged down by the sand or woodchips.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions