The way dimes used to be

50centman

Feb 25, 2008
Had the experience of a lifetime with a bag of dimes yesterday that I thought could never have existed in this day and age
I delayed picking up two boxes of halves last week until yesterday because I knew they were most likely skunks as they are except about twice a year when I can get some really good ones. I usually try to find 3 or 4 bags of dimes a week on my halves pickup so I asked if they had a bag(seems I allways miss them at this bank) and the teller checked and they had a bag of $1000 due to be pick up today so I said sure, I'll take them.
While carrying them out to the car I thought I could see silver through the plastic but I dismissed it as my imagination as the most silver dimes I had ever found in a bag like this was 11 which I thought at the time was terrific.
Well when I got home and laid the bag on the kitchen table I could see silver dimes staring at me throughout the bag and it dawned on me that this could be something very special. I could even see a merc through the plastic!
Going through that bag was such a thrill it will be one of my great memories. Some of the handfulls had ten or more silver and it dawned on me I was like a time traveler going back to who knows when. Perhaps if there is an old timer reading this they could tell me how far back you would have to go to get these results. the thing is, the coins were strewn throughout the entire bag
I took pictures and hope I can figure out how to post them. There is a solid rectangle that measures 22inches by 16 inches. There are 22 mercs the oldest of which is a 1919. There are 697 rosies of all different years. That translates to over7% of all the coins in that bag or every 14Th coin being silver!!! WOW!!! Pinch me!!
Once again, it's all about being in the right place at the right time as I'm sure many of you out there can relate to.

Upvote 0

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OMG!!! That is incredible!! Over 700 silver dimes in one bag.....congrats 50CM.....very, very nice.

WAHOOOOOOO

Cat J

Dec 17, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Whites Sufe Master PI Pro
I remember 1965 when my daddy put a new shinny quarter in my hand. At first it looked nice then I saw that copper in the middle and told him it looked dirty and I did not like the new coins I wanted the old ones. LOL Boy wish I had kept a bunch of them.

Oh well.

Cat

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
kestrelia said:
Remember to go back to the same bank to look for quarters! Great Score!

Brian

And grab up all the Nickles and Penny's as well.

Way to go "10centman" on the Dime bag. That is for shure a DREAM BAG. You got an entire collection and could probably fill a book. At least with the Rosie's

Mojo

OP
OP

50centman

Feb 25, 2008
Thanks for all the comments and advice guys. Going to see if I can fill most of a book. Got a nice 55 in the bunch. Doesn't get much better than that.

OP
OP

50centman

Feb 25, 2008
Packer, I take them to a bank that has a buzzsaw of a counter that has a common box for all coins, the service is free if you have an account there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions