The world rushed in

ron of SEMO

Jan 20, 2005
S. E. Missouri
I have been reading a book called The world Rushed In. This book is about a man from the east coast who travels to California in search for Gold in 1849. This book contains actual letters and diary excerpts written along the way. In a lot of cases people would dump most of their loads to lighten the wagons for easier traveling. Some of the items were complete blacksmith shops; anvils, forges, hammers, chains and hoists. People would set up camp at night and decide at morning to just pack a backpack, walk off and leave an entire camp set up. This particular man leaned his rifle up against a tree, hung his shot pouch over the end of the barrel and walked away, he just got tired of carrying it! Having said all of that, my question is would it be possible to retrace the wagon train trails and be able to find any of the bigger items? I realize it would not be in mint condition being almost 160 years old, but still.....! ???

Silver Fox

Dec 8, 2007
New York City, USA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
ron of SEMO said:
I have been reading a book called The world Rushed In. This book is about a man from the east coast who travels to California in search for Gold in 1849. This book contains actual letters and diary excerpts written along the way. In a lot of cases people would dump most of their loads to lighten the wagons for easier traveling. Some of the items were complete blacksmith shops; anvils, forges, hammers, chains and hoists. People would set up camp at night and decide at morning to just pack a backpack, walk off and leave an entire camp set up. This particular man leaned his rifle up against a tree, hung his shot pouch over the end of the barrel and walked away, he just got tired of carrying it! Having said all of that, my question is would it be possible to retrace the wagon train trails and be able to find any of the bigger items? I realize it would not be in mint condition being almost 160 years old, but still.....! ???
Many years ago a documentary was shown on TV where such trails were found and followed (due to mostly dry weather not affecting the wagon wheel ruts) and you could see some of the dumped items right on the trail. I'm sorry I have no other info but if you google wagon train trails you might find the info you're looking for.

Silver Fox

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Yes, it has been tried and tried countless times. The history citations you alude to (travelors casting off belongings to lighten their load) are nothing new. And the routes they took are also nothing new. Many books have been written detailing the exact routes. Even in stretches where modern roads do not follow the original routes, the old routes are "no secret" ::)

So even since the 1930s, when auto-travel made it popular to get to more remote places, collecting nick-nacks, bottles, collectibles, etc... was already in full swing. For example, in the late 1950s/early 1960s, a lot of west coast "ghost towns" were already being stripped of visual artifacts, thus leading to the preservation efforts of those that were remote enough to not already have been pillaged (like Bodie, in the early 1960s). Yeah, those earlier times would be top-of-the-ground visable things, but the point is, it's been long-ago thought of.

There is a particular stretch of desert called "the 40 mile desert", where a lot of what you're aluding to went on (lightening loads, deaths, etc...), and people for the last 30 yrs have detected it ad-nauseum. A few coins have been found. But I think the "lightening of loads" would primarily, as you say, been things that were heaviest, not coins. Your best bet for coin hunting would be where they camped for the night, and be regular fumble-finger losses. In that sense, the coin-hunting potential would be the same as any other campground setting, whether for CA travel or otherwise.

The club in San Jose, for example, organized a group hunt to work the 40-mile desert. They mostly find caste-iron type stuff. I believe a coin or two was found on those expeditions, but no more so than a person would be served in hunting any other period place, or period campground.

There is a good book on the subject called "The California Trail". I don't have the author's name in front of me, but it was written in the 1940s, if I recall. At that time, the author could still (and did during the 1930s, for instance) interview older people who could actually recall the travel as young kids. The "castoffs" you refer to also happened at the Eastern end of the trail (once they got to the plains states). If I were gambling on a purposefully stashed cache of coins (as if someone would choose silver and gold to lighten their load, verses iron implements), I would hunt campsites. Quite often, the travelers used and re-used the same sites for camping (typically along rivers, or any watering hole site).

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
There ARE book dealers that specialize in old and rare books...

Might be easier to search them out, and ask them for what they do best....

Best,
rmptr

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread