the worst skunk EVER

AGninja

Dec 1, 2010
dumped about 200$ in dimes, went down the street and got a box of dimes. brought them home and what do you know - every single dime was 2010 minted. i didnt even bother opening 90% of the rolls because it was glaringly obvious that it would have been a useless effort.

This ever happen to anyone else in any demonination? needless to say im never going back to that bank.

Upvote 0

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
I've gotten a $500 box with mostly 2010-D dimes in it. I usually weigh the rolls and I could tell they're using less metal when it comes to the dimes. The rolls weigh less than regular circulated clad rolls. Guess they're trying to save money anyway they can. I was lucky that I got a 1964-D in the box amongst the few circulated dimes that were mixed in with the 2010-D's. I just took the box down the street and gave it to another bank. Dimes are by far the easiest to search as long as they are in clear plastic wraps.

As far as skunks, I've gotten skunked on a penny box with zero wheats. There were some coppers in there however. The ultimate skunk would be a penny box with all circulated zincolns and no new 2010's.

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
AGninja said:
dumped about 200$ in dimes, went down the street and got a box of dimes. brought them home and what do you know - every single dime was 2010 minted. i didnt even bother opening 90% of the rolls because it was glaringly obvious that it would have been a useless effort.

This ever happen to anyone else in any demonination? needless to say im never going back to that bank.

Happened to me once. I got a solid box of 2009 dimes. I was about to toss them when my son told me that they were worth money. He sold them on ebay for $1700.00 or thereabouts.
HH
Rich

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
Yep, with dimes. Bought several boxes that were 100% 2010 and a couple that were over 80%.

If you have "that kind" of rapport with the bank, you can open the box first, and elect to still buy them or not.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Rich Hartford said:
AGninja said:

Happened to me once. I got a solid box of 2009 dimes. I was about to toss them when my son told me that they were worth money. He sold them on ebay for $1700.00 or thereabouts.
HH
Rich

It's a shame that 2010 dimes aren't worth anything like the 2009's. I checked on Ebay and it seemed like no one wants to pay any premium for 2010-D dimes.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
All my boxes have the visual holes, I always check first, and if you see shiny new dimes, maybe you can swap with a box of circulated.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I literally just got home with $210 in rolled halves. EVERY SINGLE half is a "Bicentenial 1776-1976". Is this some sort of joke? What a strange and unexpected thing to happen...

cuttybce

Feb 16, 2010
Western PA
I have seen A LOT of solid 2010-P dime boxes in western PA. Started a few months ago.....it was like they all hit the system at once.

I've also had a few "boundary boxes" where every dime except one or two in each roll were solid 2010's.

I have also come across solid 2010 boxes of nickels and pennies. I'm trying to hit more customer-wrapped rolls until things settle down.

HH,
cuttybce

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
And why are 2009 dimes valuable? Is it because nobody was collecting them? Is it only the uncirculated? Is this something else I need to watch out for?

Excuse the ignorance, Ron

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RW said:
And why are 2009 dimes valuable? Is it because nobody was collecting them? Is it only the uncirculated? Is this something else I need to watch out for?

Excuse the ignorance, Ron
The mintage was very low compared to other years. Same goes for 2009 nickels. I've yet to find one.
HH
enamel7

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread