Thebes I Had Restored

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this Thebes about 3 weeks ago at a site close to where I work where someone has been doing some excavating. I'm not sure if the excavating is for archaeological purposes or for something else, especially since I found 4 other points and a killer Scraper the same day I found the Thebes and have since found more pieces there, including a killer Fracture Base Dovetail I found just last week. (sorry, but no pictures of the Dove since I'm still not able to load pics onto my computer)

I sent this Thebes off to Dr Gomer and he just sent me my certificate tonight by email and is mailing the point out on Monday. This is the first piece I've ever had restored, but as soon as I found it and saw the damage I knew I was going to get it repaired. It was just too nice of a point made of killer Flint Ridge jewel quality flint to not have it fixed. Gomer did an incredible job of repairing it and I can't wait to get it back.

Attachments

• 08-121.jpg
    08-121.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 346
  • steve_valentine.JPG
    steve_valentine.JPG
    102.7 KB · Views: 342
Upvote 0

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Big pics are great, can see it in detail, I can see why you had it restored, its a beautiful point. Gomer sure is a perfectionist.
Thankyou for sharing that...

Molly. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
The Grim Reaper

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys and gals.

RJ, I wish I could get the picture of the Fracture Base Dove on here so you could check it out. It is a really nice point made of a bluish Coshocton material, nicely beveled and serrated. It rivals my Thebes from earlier this year as my Point Of The Year.

ohio

Bronze Member
May 28, 2007
Steve, man he did such a nice job on that (I am always amazed at how he is able to match the translucent qualities of the stone). I have quite a few that are in that sort of shape. If I start having them restored I will have to refinance my house. You gotta show us that Dove.............in fact it would be a great opportunity to start a "Let's see your Doves" thread". Hint, Hint!!
Chuck

OP
OP
The Grim Reaper

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chuck, I wish I could because it is very nice. We haven't been able to load pics to the computer from my camera card for quite a while. We got a virus that my wife and so finally got off of the computer, but the computer wont recognize the printer, which is were the camera card goes. It also won't recognize the camera if we try to hook it up directly through the USB ports. As soon as I can I'll get the pictures up.

ohio

Bronze Member
May 28, 2007
Steve, i certainly understand about computer problems. I have had my share. I thought they would end when I bought a brand new one last year but, that was not the case. If YOU say the point is nice I am sure it is wonderful. The fractured base dovetail is certainly a rare form. Keep us posted.
Chuck

harker52

Greenie
Mar 30, 2008
Dorkfish, try searching Yahoo Answers to find solutions to your computer problem. I have found a lot of helpful answers for questions I have had before. By the way, that is a nice restoration!

OP
OP
The Grim Reaper

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I got the Thebes back today and I must say the pictures don't do it justice. What a phenomenal job Dr. Gomer did on this point. It just amazes me at how well he matches up the color. The most amazing thing though is how he gets the translucency of the points correct. I can hold this Thebes right up close to a bright light and you can't tell the difference in the repaired area from the actual flint. If I ever get my computer to allow me to load pics again I'll take some really nice close ups of it and post them. But even then I don't think it will do it justice. You have to hold it to see the real craftsmanship Dr Gomer puts into his work.

My hats off to you sir for a fantastic job. Thank you very much!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread