AU Seeker

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
E-Track, MXT, CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TheCannonBallGuy, I was hoping you maybe able to shed some light on a find by a fellow from Virginia.

The item was found in Virginia, some people think it maybe something to do with CW artillery. it was found in area that he and his friend had found other CW relics.

I ask him to give as much info as possible and I will quote what he wrote and then the 2 pictures he posted.

"The piece is exactly 4 Lbs. 6 Oz. , 3 5/8" wide, and 2 1/4" tall , and is concaved on the botton flat part. I did find it on a hill side in the Indian town area, about 50 yards down hill from an old house site, that has nothing left but a big rock pile where the chimney was. At that same area, my partner & I found a cannon ball fuse, some eagle buttons, lots of flat buttons, silver spoons, Navy buttons, some confederate bullets, an eagle breast plate, and other things, but nothing so far that appeared to be federal,except for the breast plate. I did notice there was an indention around it, and thought it looked like it was once attached to something. Just don't have a clue as to what it was attached to. IF you need any more info I would be glad to give it to you. I do remember there is a small creek at the bottom of the hill from where I found it, and seemed to be some sort of man made activity around the area, like ditches, and mounds, but did not appear to be trenches, or gold tailings. Just about 90% of everything we found in that area has been civil war era, as far as things we could identify. All the other stuff we could not identify, but seemed to be the same era, according to debth, rust, color and design. But what ever it is , it is old! Thanks again for your help.
P/S By the way, it has no holes or projections"

file.php

file.php

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sorry to have to disappoint. I do not know what the item is. All I can tell you with certainty is that it definitely is not an Artillery relic (from any era of Artillery History).

Upvote 0
OP
OP
AU Seeker

AU Seeker

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
E-Track, MXT, CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to have to disappoint. I do not know what the item is. All I can tell you with certainty is that it definitely is not an Artillery relic (from any era of Artillery History).

Thanks for your reply, no disappointment at all, we can now rule out it being artillery related.

If we find out what it is I will update this thread.

Upvote 0

osage express

Oct 22, 2012
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
fisher 1236-x2 --Whites TM808---Whites Bullseye 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We weld things like that on the end of pipe for the oil field.I think it is called a weldment.That is about all i know about it.I do the machine work on them.... Osage

Upvote 0

osage express

Oct 22, 2012
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
fisher 1236-x2 --Whites TM808---Whites Bullseye 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What makes me think it is that is the weld bevel.....Osage

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread