these gems ! to clean, or not to clean !

ctitech0019

Nov 17, 2012
southeast pa.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter qd 2, garret pro pointer !
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi everyone, happy new year to you ! found these guys bout 2 months ago and just going back and forth on what to do with, on the left is what i believe to be a Connecticut copper , can just barely read CONNEC, on the one side , and bout 30 feet away was this 1829 large , alson these were found where i pulled the 1829 5c out , as well as some pocket watch bodies ,so i ask the wonderful people here , 2clean? or not to clean? and if so, how with out destroying ?

ty for looking and hh HPIM1218.JPG HPIM1219.JPG :happysmiley::metaldetector:

Upvote 0

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, i personally let my old coppers sit in olive oil for a week, then use a Q tip to lightly clean off the coin---i never rub them ---olive oil loosens the dirt and crap up pretty good----thats just my opinion, they wont ever look new---but will help

stewielouie

May 14, 2012
Virginia
Detector(s) used
MXT, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pour hot peroxide on them that will clean a lot of that stuff off them

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a good idea to clean in that condition. The green is what is giving it the eye appeal it has and if you remove that you'll just have a pitted mess. Many can't resist, and those are the ones that wish they had left it alone. By the way... I'm very pro-clean when it comes to detecting finds, but only when it makes the find better.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread