Jan 2, 2016
Warrenton, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro and
Garrett pinpointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Update - "TheCannonballGuy" was able to clean it out this weekend. Had a family member drop it off to him so I have not seen it yet. I am super excited to get it back when I see my family member again. I heard there was a large piece of paper that came out during the cleaning that might show the time fuse tics. (not sure I am saying that right). THANK YOU CANNONBALLGUY!!!!!

Think I found a Parrott Shell today around the Battle of Auburn in Warrenton VA. Not sure what to do with it or how to tell if it is live. I marked it and left it where I found it in case it is dangerous. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• PART_1451768634634_20160102_144153.jpg
    PART_1451768634634_20160102_144153.jpg
    628.5 KB · Views: 201
  • PART_1451768689125_20160102_144158-2.jpg
    PART_1451768689125_20160102_144158-2.jpg
    648.8 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:
Upvote 16

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like you have already moved it. That was risky! If it is a shell, it's still live. The best thing to do if you think you have found some live ordnance is to call the police department and let them make the determination. I myself had a very close call with a live bomb some years ago. I found it on an old World War II bombing and strafing range. I did not dig it up once I saw the fins. EOD had to come out to evaluation it. They determined that it was far too dangerous to move. So they blew it up on site. I have since found more than twenty bombs in the area close to my home. Two of them had to be destroyed on site. Some of the smaller ones are not dangerous. I was taught how to make them safe. In fact, I found one just today. I'll be making a post on the "Today's Finds" later. What I found today was a Mark 23 Marker bomb, and are the only ones I will handle. Everything else stays in place for EOD to deal with.

Gotta admit that that is a pretty cool find though...

Desert Don

WRONG. The EOD will destroy all ordinance, even stuff that is already intert. If you want to see history destroyed, and a great fine turned to shrapnel, call them.

OP
OP
acm3

acm3

Jan 2, 2016
Warrenton, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro and
Garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My buddy runs the EOD and SWAT team around here and when i sent him a picture of it he asked where i found it. I told him not to worry about those details (ha ha). His EOD team lead told me to keep it and not worry about it going off. He also told me that if they were called out to handle it, they would wrap some DET cord around it and blow it. He is a fellow metal detectorist and said add it to my shelf of finds!

Gaspipe

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like you have already moved it. That was risky! If it is a shell, it's still live. The best thing to do if you think you have found some live ordnance is to call the police department and let them make the determination. I myself had a very close call with a live bomb some years ago. I found it on an old World War II bombing and strafing range. I did not dig it up once I saw the fins. EOD had to come out to evaluation it. They determined that it was far too dangerous to move. So they blew it up on site. I have since found more than twenty bombs in the area close to my home. Two of them had to be destroyed on site. Some of the smaller ones are not dangerous. I was taught how to make them safe. In fact, I found one just today. I'll be making a post on the "Today's Finds" later. What I found today was a Mark 23 Marker bomb, and are the only ones I will handle. Everything else stays in place for EOD to deal with.

Gotta admit that that is a pretty cool find though...

Desert Don

Nobody's going to argue about safety but yeah the police thing is a bad idea. Might as well rebury it , call me, and i'll come and dig it.

TheGreatNorth

Sep 6, 2015
Southern Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATGOLD w/every coil..
GArrett ACE250
Garrett Pinpointer
CTX3030 mostly
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find! Definitely take precautions. I heard of a guy having one blow up in his den!! I guess it was just in the display case but the temp in the room changed or something. Thankfully he wasn't home... Be safe!!!

OP
OP
acm3

acm3

Jan 2, 2016
Warrenton, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro and
Garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Was finally able to have a family member drop off my shell this weekend to "TheCannonballGuy" to clean it out. THANKS AGAIN. I have not gotten it back from my family member yet and going nuts to see it. I guess there was a large piece of paper that came out during cleaning that may show the markings for the timed fuse. I might not be explaining that right. ha ha
Thanks again "TheCannonballGuy" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions