Thinking of Upgrading to Explorer SE

redlined

Jan 15, 2006
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
MXT,Excellerator 4.5x7,Ace 250, Bounty Hunter 202
Hi all, let me start off by saying I've been MD'ing for about four years. I started off with a bounty Hunter 202. Last year I got an Ace 250. Both machines can and will readily detect the coins. Here is my dilemma though. I really don't get too wound up hunting for clad and I spend the majority of my time hunting old foundations and used-to-be's out in the middle of nowhere. I realize some of these spots may have been hit already, and I know some of them have never seen a metal detector.My love is finding the OLD stuff. I have found some older coins with the ACE, but I really feel like several of these spots are capable of giving up much more. I can't help but feel like I can't consistently hit the depth needed to get on the old stuff with the 250.

I have read and read and read about the exceptional depth of the Explorer SE and what a truly great machine it is. Is this the detector for me?I have gone through two now, and really would like to upgrade to somthing I'm absolutly confident will put me in the "deep" coins.Also, what about the learning curve? Will the Explorer floor me after using a different machine?How hard is it to program or get used to?Should I be looking at a different model instead? I would love some feedback from some Mine Lab guys and if these machines are as good as they're billed to be.What kind of difference can I expect compared to the ACE in terms of depth? All feedback would be appreciated, as I feel like I need to justify such a big upgrade from what I've been using to what I think I want.Thanks in advance.

Treasure-Diver

Feb 8, 2005
Houston, Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE W/ SunRay X-1 Probe
BH Pioneer 505
Fisher Impulse UW Pulse Ind.
Fisher F2
Sounds like the SE would work good for the type of hunting you are doing. I went from a BH 505 model up to the Minelab Explorer SE. Main difference I saw immediately between the Bounty Hunter and SE was Sensitivity. The SE will sound off on everything in the world. If it's metal it will find it. It has great depth. My BH would go about 6 inches the SE doubles that. I LOVE the SE for the depth and finding targets. You will have to sacrifice a few things however for all this power. The hardest thing for me was slowing my swing speed down. I can swing the BH 505 very quickly and listen for the high tones. The SE is processing tons of information (all those 28 frequencies) so in order to maximize its strengths you have to swing the detector some what slower. This also helps in separating the targets. The SE is a bit heavier, but nothing like what some people claim. I think it weighs around 4 or 5 pounds. I can swing it for hours before I fell a little tired. The SE is easy to learn. The best thing is to turn on the machine in factory pre-set and experiment with coins, rings, pull-tabs, etc. learn the tones, ferrous conductivity numbers, or placement on the Smart Screen. I prefer the numbers but a lot of users like the smart window. I can tell what coin I have simply by the number read outs before I even dig it. It is a fantastic coin machine. Once you learn the sounds you can begin "tweaking" the machine to fit your personal preferences. Hope this helps Good Luck and Happy Hunting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread