🥇 BANNER This could have been a once in a lifetime hunt!

Jamesbondaka

Mar 18, 2010
Portland, Oregon/ I travel
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
V3i xlt dfx gmt mxt f75 Exp SE ace 150 Umax etrac goldmaster coinmaster Cz-5 Cz-3D Goldengate 3D BH 300 ctx 3030 jeohunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This could have been a once in a lifetime hunt! MORE FOUND

4 Part Story with 4 different hunts with more treasure and pics ......maybe more soon!

A friend of mine said he had a day free so, we set up a hunt. I knew of a very large park yet to be explored by either of us. We hunted for several hours and got about 15 coins or so...it was so clean and not even one pull tab!
We gave up on it and decided to go have lunch. After, my friend Danny said he had a little time but not much as he had a football game to watch. We headed to a new site that Danny got permission to hunt. When we arrived at the home site and were surprised to find a demolished house, everything was gone! Pushed up and the burn piles were still smoldering! Debris strewn all over the lot like a tornado just blew thru. The bulldozer left piles of earth with a mixture of insulation, old wiring, nails, glass and the fall leaves. Everthing had changed! I think most people would have just driven away but since we didn't have much time, we decided to make the best of this "war" zone. I was thinking..."what did Danny bring me to"? We hunted for a short time and Danny found a hot spot for pennies, a lot wheat backs. He invited me to hunt with him but I said, "thats your spot". He insisted and I started digging up a few wheat backs. I was a bit tired at that point so decided to leave him and venture on. I headed to another area about 75 feet away. I got decent tones but all trash mostly. I really expected the detector screen to say, "Enough already"! or "No More"! Tons of iron, pipes, wires and just your run of mill....trash. It was driving me crazy! Several times I was 2 seconds away from going to the semi manicured lawn next to where we were hunting. I kinda had enough. The day was fun but it wasnt very productive. Danny headed my way and he told me he got a bunch of pennies. He asked how I was doing and I said not too good but this signal I just got sounded good. It was dollar range signal! I dug down a few inches and up popped 3 pennies, all together. I said just old pennies. I checked the hole again...I still got the dollar signal. It was a good signal but not too deep and not very strong. Probably some kind of trash. I told Danny, it was a good steady signal....lets hope! Wow, up popped the unmistakable look of a silver dollar! I didnt touch it. I said to my friend....you WONT believe this! YOU WONT BELIEVE THIS! Hes looking at me puzzled and I pointed at the hole.
A nice 1921 morgan silver dollar was peeking at us. The iron & trash etc was trying to null out and confuse the signal.
I didn't know this day would EVER happen. Ive known of people hunting 30 years to only find 1 dollar. Ive been doing this about 3 years. Its my lucky day! Danny gave me the high 5 and took some pics. We started hunting again and Danny and got some more wheat backs. About 5 minutes later, I got another signal. Up pops another! I yelled at Danny, another one!!! Hes saying wow...its your lucky day. It was! Then, Danny got a signal. He probes it and I can see the shine from 10 feet away. He scores a very nice dollar in a plastic pouch. High 5 again and pics. He is beaming and I was happy for him. WE continued to hunt. I'm getting multiple signals all over the place. I'm pulling up wheat pennies as fast as I can unearth them. Lots of them! Then, I get 3 signals all in a 2 foot radius. One silver dollar, then another... then a third! I am exstatic! 20 minutes ago, I'm almost ready to pack it in. Now, I'm plucking 5 silver dollars and lots of wheat backs like a crazy person. Danny gets another dollar, then a Franklin half. There were so many wheats that I would probe the signal with my pinpointer...set it down...and it would beep again. So, I would move it....and it would continue to beep again....Coins everywhere! I continue to pull up 2 more dollars and Danny has several halfs. You have NO idea whats coming...and neither did I. I got a silver tone...moved a small amount of dirt and I instantly new what I had. Now, with 7 silver dollars and hundred or two of wheat pennies, I yelled at Danny again. Can you believe a 10 oz silver bar???....in the wrapper. Danny could not believe it and I was almost speechless. It was now dark and we continue to hunt continuing to pull up mostly wheat backs but a occasional silver. We searched in the dark using mostly just the light from our probes. It was almost a frenzy. All in all, Danny missed his game by about 5 hours. I think he can live with that. I know I can! I walked out with 287 pennies, 1 franklin half, 10 oz bar of pure .999 silver AND 10 Silver dollars. Danny got several dozens wheat backs, 2 Silver dollars, 7 halfs and two nice tokens yet to be identified.
Wow, what a day!!! In general, it was a nice day. No rain, if there was, we wouldn't have hunted. I would not have ever found this stuff if Danny did not take me there. I don't think we would have found all we did if I hadn't decided to keep looking in such a trashy area. So, we would both be nowhere without each others help. Happened on my departed Dads birthday too...Thanks for the inspiration! This might have been once in a lifetime experience and I will never forget it.
I hope WE have some good luck again... as I do everyone, so don't give up and who knows maybe you will have some silver in your future and turn your trash ...into Treasure!

Attachments

• first silver dollar (Large).jpg
    first silver dollar (Large).jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 2,646
  • silver dollar day 3 find extra (Large).JPG
    silver dollar day 3 find extra (Large).JPG
    108.1 KB · Views: 2,723
  • silver dollar day 10 oz bar (Medium).JPG
    silver dollar day 10 oz bar (Medium).JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 2,509
  • silver dollar day 10 oz bar close up (Medium).JPG
    silver dollar day 10 oz bar close up (Medium).JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 3,569
Last edited:
Upvote 67
OP
OP
Jamesbondaka

Jamesbondaka

Mar 18, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
V3i xlt dfx gmt mxt f75 Exp SE ace 150 Umax etrac goldmaster coinmaster Cz-5 Cz-3D Goldengate 3D BH 300 ctx 3030 jeohunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We ventured off to our semi local spot. Pretty cold today...not raining but close to it. Our coldest day to hunt...with lots of wind. We tried to make the best of it.
As per our last hunt not much to report. Coins are becoming very hard to find. A few coins but nothing to get really excited about. I had a few signals in the dollar range but no joy. We searched all over and was getting colder and evening was approaching. I headed over to Danny to see how hes doing and he thought I was done for the day....I pretty much was. I got a good dollar signal and had to dig it up... and did....and got a nice piece of ol rusted iron. I look at my battery strength and Im at 8.23 volts....not much time left....at 8volts it dies and forgot my spare battery...So, I will give it till it quits. I headed over to another area that both of us worked for a little while. I got a boucing signal with some good tone. Lots of iron signal too. I wanted to move on and remember about all the extra iron in the ground so I switched to analyze. Signal wave was smooth but not good....at least not what it should be. Then, I switched to pinpoint. Huge signal. Different than Ive got before with iron and was very strong on good conductors. I start to dig... I dont see anything. Then, I see a plastic bag....Ive gotten bags before with nothing in them. Pull it up and nothing was there. Then, I see some shiny wire. I look closer and it looks like hoops....3 of them. What the heck is it? Sure looks like some kind of silver...or am I just tired? I pull a bit more and it sure looks like one nice long chain. I called to Danny. I said look at this. He said...."looks great...maybe gold"? I continue to pull. More plastic sack and debris comes up and I know have now, 3 separate chains. Danny checks and its .925 silver. Nice! I continue to check the hole and theres signals everyplace. About 4 pieces of iron come up. Then a glimmer! Another chain! Still more signals in the hole. I see more silver! I pull out more and more and more...there is so many I cant count them all! I dont know if its the cold or nerves but Im shaking a bit. I continue to probe and get more iron screws, bolts and a 3 inch iron spring. Then, I see it....MORE Silver!....and Larger! I gingerly pull out more chains out of the water drenched soil. Danny and I are both laughing and trying to figure out.....WHY?
I get more iron bits and then see an outline of a ring. I then pull out a pretty heavy ring! NOW, Rings too! Wow what else???
I checked the hole profusely...more iron but no other good targets that we can detect. Danny counted them....99 Sterling Silver chains & 1 Silver ring....go figure.

I still cant quite come to terms with this. Im exausted but my blood is pumping. I dont think I will be able to sleep....again.

More pics to come when I can clean it all up.

Attachments

• silver chains unearthed sacks.jpg 2.jpg
    silver chains unearthed sacks.jpg 2.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 257
  • silver chains unearthed sacks.jpg
    silver chains unearthed sacks.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 240
Last edited:
OP
OP
Jamesbondaka

Jamesbondaka

Mar 18, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some more pics.

Attachments

• silver chains hoard (Large).JPG
    silver chains hoard (Large).JPG
    106.2 KB · Views: 246
  • silver chains & ring (Large).JPG
    silver chains & ring (Large).JPG
    163.4 KB · Views: 249
  • silver chains chain (Large).JPG
    silver chains chain (Large).JPG
    191.8 KB · Views: 226
Last edited:
OP
OP
Jamesbondaka

Jamesbondaka

Mar 18, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jamesbondaka that would be awesome if you could provide more pics of both coins! and good luck on your next hunt!

here you go! what do you think?

Attachments

• 34d.JPG
    34d.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 214
  • 34s.JPG
    34s.JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 215

rachums107

Oct 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
The second dollar definetly looks like a D mint. Still hard to tell on the first one. Looks like an S to me though, considering the mintmark isnt as wide as the second one. is there any way you can provide a closeup picture of the mintmarks? Try taking a picture through a magnifying glass. thanks for these ones, though. and i cant beleive the stuff you guys are finding! Awesome!!

granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Ace 350, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crazy amazing.

gordonquixote

Apr 8, 2012
N FL
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Holy ish...that is astounding. My best silver day was a dollar and a fiddy-cent piece.....I can only Imagine how good that felt.

Have you looked at them 5,342,000 times since you found them? I know I would.

OP
OP
Jamesbondaka

Jamesbondaka

Mar 18, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy ish...that is astounding. My best silver day was a dollar and a fiddy-cent piece.....I can only Imagine how good that felt.

Have you looked at them 5,342,000 times since you found them? I know I would.

Thanks again Grant!

I remember a short time ago when I looked down and saw the reeded edge of my first silver dollar, peeking out of the earth....I was extremely excited...to say the least! I thought that was my one and only for many years or maybe forever. Little did I know what was coming. I still shake my head ....but I do smile! So, in answer to your question about looking at them.....YES and maybe more than 5,342.000 times. Care to guess what my screen saver is now? Thank you.

btw, Heres a cleaned up silver pic for you.....soaked, washed with soap, then ammonia, then boiled! Me and the silver!

Attachments

• hoard pile (Large).JPG
    hoard pile (Large).JPG
    157.5 KB · Views: 249
Last edited:

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
wow its still giving up silver,time for a backhoe and a sifter LOL
the safe must be getting full,so the chains weigh 3+#
keep going,gotta be another Sbar or 2

themarkd

Nov 22, 2011
Detector(s) used
White's Prism V 950
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good god that place is puking money. :headbang:

sparkydog

Sep 28, 2008
Boulder Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites: Surf, Eagle II SL, GMT.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A Great Story! Your finds encouraged me to go out several times on cold wet days when I otherwise might have stayed home. I have 3 observations: The plant attached to those 3/8 roots should have annual rings to date them, The shallow dollars in the bulldoser push may have been headed for a pile...maybe others made it there? As a kid I turned my allowance into silver dollars and some halves just because it was fun to put them in a deerskin bag and handle them...I loved the weight and the clink! No smaller coins interested me, maybe yours got saved for similar reasons...big coins are more like treasure to be hidden!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jamesbondaka

Jamesbondaka

Mar 18, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow its still giving up silver,time for a backhoe and a sifter LOL
the safe must be getting full,so the chains weigh 3+#
keep going,gotta be another Sbar or 2

Yes, I got lucky again but we have not found 1 Silver Dollar or Half since we found the lot. Who knows...maybe there are more in another spot but as of now......no more dollars/halves.

Last edited:

FlakyNugget

Tenderfoot
Nov 26, 2012
Kelowna, BC
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster Pro
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What an incredible spot. Congratulations on the finds.
If I was to guess from the dates of your silver dollars I'll bet they were hidden shortly after April 5, 1933, when President Franklin D. Roosevelt forbid the Hoarding of Gold Coins . The original owner probably thought silver was next. Now the question is where did they hide their gold?

rachums107

Oct 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Jamesbondaka-if you are planning on selling any of your finds, try putting the 1934-S peace dollar (im pretty sure its the one on the left in your last picture) up as a seperate auction. If not, then by all means enjoy what y'll found!

xtrmdigger

Oct 28, 2012
Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Garrett AT PRO
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett GTI 2500
TESORO SAND SHARK
FISHER PULSE 8X
Let's make it DOUBLE BANNER!

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I simply would nt e able to do any thing but detect that site.

I can have every thing I need delivered. And charge my batteries in the car or with a 5 hour energy drink

It would be fun just to watch you on a hunt like this

OP
OP
Jamesbondaka

Jamesbondaka

Mar 18, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A Great Story! Your finds encouraged me to go out several times on cold wet days when I otherwise might have stayed home. I have 3 observations: The plant attached to those 3/8 roots should have annual rings to date them, The shallow dollars in the bulldoser push may have been headed for a pile...maybe others made it there? As a kid I turned my allowance into silver dollars and some halves just because it was fun to put them in a deerskin bag and handle them...I loved the weight and the clink! No smaller coins interested me, maybe yours got saved for similar reasons...big coins are more like treasure to be hidden!
You have given me an idea or two...thanks for your comments!

Jamesbondaka-if you are planning on selling any of your finds, try putting the 1934-S peace dollar (im pretty sure its the one on the left in your last picture) up as a seperate auction. If not, then by all means enjoy what y'll found!
I think it is too...I post another pic...hopefully it will be better....have you tried blowing the pic up? thanks

I simply would nt e able to do any thing but detect that site.

I can have every thing I need delivered. And charge my batteries in the car or with a 5 hour energy drink

It would be fun just to watch you on a hunt like this
We have put many hours into this location...there has been several times that we have walked away wiith little to show for it. The good days...of course....have been great. We are considering doing a video in the near future.

Last edited:

GoGoGopher

Jun 24, 2011
Syracuse, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac - 11" Pro, 6" EQ2 coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Were there ever club hunts there...SOunds like a plant from a Seeded Silver hunt to me...Very great find though!

HH,

OP
OP
Jamesbondaka

Jamesbondaka

Mar 18, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Were there ever club hunts there...SOunds like a plant from a Seeded Silver hunt to me...Very great find though!

HH,

This is private land so no hunts....if there is prizes given away like this....Im joining!

Here is another pic sent to me

Attachments

• silver chain & rings coming out (Large).JPG
    silver chain & rings coming out (Large).JPG
    147.6 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread