This guy is on the bad list

NewsMan

Mar 25, 2011
jeff of pa said:
NewsMan said:
How will stuff like this be here for my kids to enjoy while a selfish few destroy them for artifacts?

Nothing Personal

But How are your kids going to to enjoy Them ?

Are they going to Loot, Dig through the Basement
of a Walley World, Become Archaeologists,
Or Rifle through Boxes Stored away in Museum
& Archaeologists Basements ? (If they didn't sell them)

My post specifically refers to earthworks, as the example. If every Joe Blow with a MD can go digging through those earthworks, they won't be around long enough for my kids to enjoy. That seems pretty straight forward and logical. Fortunately most of the forts and earth works are covered in thick brush while they work to come up with a plan. You guys answering me are selective reading and not reading my posts before chiming in.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NewsMan said:
You guys answering me are selective reading and not reading my posts before chiming in.

I'll confess to that :laughing7:

It just gets My Goat When People say The relics in the Ground
are there for everyone to Enjoy, When only a select few
have permission to dig them & Won't Because
they "Need $$$" .
And even if they Received the Money,
They still wouldn't Let "Eveyone" Who wants to handle & Enjoy them
to do so.

So naturally I Get a Little Hyper over this :thumbsup:

It's like saying this is the last Zebra on earth.
We want to preserve it So our Children & Childrens Children
Can enjoy it.
Then they take it, Stuff it, & Put it away in a Climate controlled
Vault. & Only Maitenance gets to see the Crate it's in.

"Schrodinger's cat"
is it alive or dead ?
it it even there ?

lostcauses

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2008
NewsMan said:
jeff of pa said:
NewsMan said:
How will stuff like this be here for my kids to enjoy while a selfish few destroy them for artifacts?

Nothing Personal

But How are your kids going to to enjoy Them ?

Are they going to Loot, Dig through the Basement
of a Walley World, Become Archaeologists,
Or Rifle through Boxes Stored away in Museum
& Archaeologists Basements ? (If they didn't sell them)

My post specifically refers to earthworks, as the example. If every Joe Blow with a MD can go digging through those earthworks, they won't be around long enough for my kids to enjoy. That seems pretty straight forward and logical. Fortunately most of the forts and earth works are covered in thick brush while they work to come up with a plan. You guys answering me are selective reading and not reading my posts before chiming in.

I have seen areas that the relics and others artifact that as a kid were abundant. Today not much left of a few places due to every one that went across it took what they found.
Strange thing about this it is the same attitude they use to say about the animals back when. Hey just have fun with the sport shooting of em, they will come back.

These items folks want that they claim is history unto themselves are not being made today ( some fakes are).

If every one was allowed to go out and find IT.

It keeps getting thinner every year.

This is also a reason for people to ignore the law, and ethics to go were such is not allowed.

The stuff is there of course due to it has had limitations placed upon it.

Folks may not realive that metal detectors have been around and used since the 50s.
Yes the modern ones go deeper and are easer to use, yet that great looking place that does not show much, and is easy to get to, well it most likly was hit a long time ago.

Think about it. They don't just make this stuff from the past any more.

NewsMan

Mar 25, 2011
jeff of pa said:
NewsMan said:
You guys answering me are selective reading and not reading my posts before chiming in.

I'll confess to that :laughing7:

It just gets My Goat When People say The relics in the Ground
are there for everyone to Enjoy...

It's not the relics in the ground that's as important as where they were located. That info is what matters. Once the info is gathered, I personally could care less where the artifacts end up (I would prefer that they were public). Beyond that, related to this example, my concern is that places like earthworks, that cannot be replaced, are destroyed forever. Not sure why this is an argument if you truly believe in history.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
things I think

#1 the guy was clearly wrong to go "poach" in "off limits" land --and for giving metal detectorist a public "black eye" hes a idiot in my veiw --

#2 he broke the "law" and as such he will be punished for it ---so be it

#3 -- I strongly disagree that 15 holes and 3 bullets is $9,000 in damage however --unless the holes are house sized craters (earth works are uh basically "piled dirt"--what no one knows how to use a shovel anymore?)-- $600 dollars per hole --jeez oh petes come on.

#4 while there is a need to preserve some spots for history , the constant shutting off of "publicly owned land " to the bulk of the public that wishes to use it for various reasons is dead wrong ---- ( like buying grazing land out west with public money then "renting the same land for peanuts to cattle barons" while making the same land "off limits" to normal folks) --- which amounts to nothing more than a govt "private" use land grab funded by our tax dollars.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
The easy solution to this is for the Park Service to hold hunts . Items found that were already in their museum could be kept by the finder. Items found that were not in their museum would automatically be donated to the museum and a donation certificate given to the finder [tax deduction]. This would clear up the whole mess and multiply the items on display. it would be a win/win situation, except for the Arches. That's why it will never happen! Frank

NewsMan

Mar 25, 2011
Frankn said:
The easy solution to this is for the Park Service to hold hunts . Items found that were already in their museum could be kept by the finder. Items found that were not in their museum would automatically be donated to the museum and a donation certificate given to the finder [tax deduction]. This would clear up the whole mess and multiply the items on display. it would be a win/win situation, except for the Arches. That's why it will never happen! Frank

This idea I like as long as they record the information relative to the relics' location I think all would be well. Clearly, however, ARCHES aren't too interested in compromise.

Aquila

Jun 9, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 150, Golden mask 3
This dude dug three bullets. Damages USD 9000 :P. Sounds impossible and this tells something about local authorities and their opinions about relic hunters. Thank god Im hunting in Europe. In liberal society I can say so what if somebody dig three bullets. In Russia, Ukraine and other eastern europe battlefields there are lots of bones waiting to be buried honorably and thanks to relic hunters many are resting now in cemeteries. Also these relic hunters are saving lots of ww1 and ww2 and other war relics for rottening away. I wouldn hunt anywhere in US because of mademans with sniper rifles shooting illegal trespassers and authorities with gestapo-like attitude to relic hunters. :tongue3:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aquila said:
This dude dug three bullets. Damages USD 9000 :P. Sounds impossible and this tells something about local authorities and their opinions about relic hunters. Thank god Im hunting in Europe. In liberal society I can say so what if somebody dig three bullets. In Russia, Ukraine and other eastern europe battlefields there are lots of bones waiting to be buried honorably and thanks to relic hunters many are resting now in cemeteries. Also these relic hunters are saving lots of ww1 and ww2 and other war relics for rottening away. I wouldn hunt anywhere in US because of mademans with sniper rifles shooting illegal trespassers and authorities with gestapo-like attitude to relic hunters. :tongue3:

Yea I Don't Get the attitude of Some people either.

That they Feel Taking somones Life For
Stepping on their Property
or Taking an object,
is Justified .

Just Know The Whole U.S. does not have that attude. :coffee2:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ivan salis said:
things I think

#1 the guy was clearly wrong to go "poach" in "off limits" land --and for giving metal detectorist a public "black eye" hes a idiot in my veiw --

#2 he broke the "law" and as such he will be punished for it ---so be it

#3 -- I strongly disagree that 15 holes and 3 bullets is $9,000 in damage however --unless the holes are house sized craters (earth works are uh basically "piled dirt"--what no one knows how to use a shovel anymore?)-- $600 dollars per hole --jeez oh petes come on.

#4 while there is a need to preserve some spots for history , the constant shutting off of "publicly owned land " to the bulk of the public that wishes to use it for various reasons is dead wrong ---- ( like buying grazing land out west with public money then "renting the same land for peanuts to cattle barons" while making the same land "off limits" to normal folks) --- which amounts to nothing more than a govt "private" use land grab funded by our tax dollars.

:icon_thumright:

I agree with Ivan, this guy broke the law and makes all of us look bad, all this does is cause those in power to want to restrict our hobby even more......

I was at Custer Battlefield Memorial one morning early when they first opened up. Some hunters with detectors had snuck in the night before and there were hundreds of holes all over "Last Stand Hill". Even today they still examine and doccument the battle there, by examing the cartridges and lead they have been able to track specific weapons as they moved across the battlefield, from being carried down into the valley in the attack on the village and then all the way back up to last stand hill as the weapons were picked up by the indians and used on the calvery, the artifacts recovered and stolen destroys any chance of that for a lot of the weapons......

The majority of the battlefields actually contain only a small portion of the actual battleground as part of the Parks.... We will never get them to open up the National Parks and National Battle Grounds for detecting and anyone who thinks we will are dreaming.... What we need to do is show as a community we obey the laws in effect when it comes to this kind of hunting so our hobby is not restricted even more.......

I have camped in most National Parks west of the Mississippi River and the last thing I want to see in them is hundreds of holes everywhere from hunters who don't know how to recover a target.

Just my personal opinion.....

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The guy at Chickamauga was wrong and he knew it. You can not pick up anything. It is well posted there. He found 3 bullets and did not have a metal detector. The equiptment being used out there is exposing some top soil. Chickamauga is the second largest battlefield behind Gettysburgh. It is hallowed ground.They have had problems with people sneaking in and hunting at night for years. They have to prosecute offenders.
All of North Ga and South east Tennessee are battlefields. My house sits on a major battlefield and I have dug numerous items and at least a 100 bullets from my yard and the neighbors yards. If you look at Chattanooga for National parks you will see it is huge stretching all the way to Chickamauga. They add land to the parks every chance they get. You will notice the metal detector in the picture by the civil war cannon. This was on PRIVATE property where a battle was and they placed a cannon and plaque there but it was outside the park. It was legal to hunt there with permission so with research and permission you can still hunt these areas. Of course I found nothing there cause I guess everyone had permission! lol
The Archeologist do not have time and they are just now learning to use metal detectors and putting them in their arsenals. I have been contacted before by them for information I had on some maps and how to use a metal detector. They had access to a segment of a park for two days to do a study. There is a big diffrence between a Park Ranger and a Archeologist.
I say hunt battle sites only with good permission from the landowner. I know that Archeologist are reading these post and wish they would chime in.. :sign13:

Attachments

• Private property.jpg
    Private property.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 881

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Not many people get shot for tresspassing, unless you are in lost Dutchman territory! Frank

NewsMan

Mar 25, 2011
Some of you guys are missing the point that he was CAUGHT with three bullets. The questions is: How many other times was he not caught. When you catch a thief, rarely is it his first time, I would say.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TnM

How far are you from Ringo Ga? I have a good friend who lives there, he is real close to the Chickamauga battlefield.....

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure_Hunter said:
TnM

How far are you from Ringo Ga? I have a good friend who lives there, he is real close to the Chickamauga battlefield.....

Ahh Ringo or Ringgold? Ringgold is close to the park borders it on one side. It is about 15 minutes from me. I can be in Georgia or Alabama from Tennessee (home) in about 10 minutes. Good little battle in Ringgold with Clebourne after Chattanooga fell. It is where my gg uncle caught Andrews Raiders that stole his train. I know the area well.
Get up this way look me up :hello:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TnMountains said:
Treasure_Hunter said:
TnM

Ahh Ringo or Ringgold? Ringgold is close to the park borders it on one side. It is about 15 minutes from me. I can be in Georgia or Alabama from Tennessee (home) in about 10 minutes. Good little battle in Ringgold with Clebourne after Chattanooga fell. It is where my gg uncle caught Andrews Raiders that stole his train. I know the area well.
Get up this way look me up :hello:

Sorry your correct I wasn't paying attention to my typing, he lives in Ringgold, just a couple miles off of I-75. I have wanted to get up there and hunt some relics.....He says he has friends who live close to the battlefield...... I told him if I lived there I would be out hunting, he is in a rich area for artifacts, he doesn't hunt, although I did loan him one of my Excals and took him beach hunting when he was down here for Christmas....

If I get up that way I will certainly give you a headsup.... :icon_thumright: The same if your ever down this way, I have a backup excal I can loan you if you want to water hunt......

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will take you up on that when down your way. I have some friends in Orlando that look good on a beach :icon_sunny:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TnMountains said:
I will take you up on that when down your way. I have some friends in Orlando that look good on a beach :icon_sunny:

Well that works good, I live in Orlando and my wife looks good at the beach..... :laughing7:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aquila said:
TnMountains said:
The guy at Chickamauga was wrong and he knew it. You can not pick up anything. It is well posted there. He found 3 bullets and did not have a metal detector. The equiptment being used out there is exposing some top soil. Chickamauga is the second largest battlefield behind Gettysburgh. It is hallowed ground.They have had problems with people sneaking in and hunting at night for years. They have to prosecute offenders.
Exactly how hallowed is ground were people have been slaughtered :(. I haven`t noticed Berlin isnt very hallowed ground after what happened 1945.

It is hollowed ground to we Americans because both sides were Americans....Berlin was the capitol of a country that started WWII and whose leaders murdered over 6 millions humanbeings in death camps.... Many people consider the grounds around the death camps to be hollow ground......

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TnMountains said:
All of North Ga and South east Tennessee are battlefields. My house sits on a major battlefield and I have dug numerous items and at least a 100 bullets from my yard and the neighbors yards. If you look at Chattanooga for National parks you will see it is huge stretching all the way to Chickamauga. They add land to the parks every chance they get. You will notice the metal detector in the picture by the civil war cannon. This was on PRIVATE property where a battle was and they placed a cannon and plaque there but it was outside the park. It was legal to hunt there with permission so with research and permission you can still hunt these areas. Of course I found nothing there cause I guess everyone had permission! lol
The Archeologist do not have time and they are just now learning to use metal detectors and putting them in their arsenals. I have been contacted before by them for information I had on some maps and how to use a metal detector. They had access to a segment of a park for two days to do a study. There is a big diffrence between a Park Ranger and a Archeologist.
I say hunt battle sites only with good permission from the landowner. I know that Archeologist are reading these post and wish they would chime in.. :sign13:
:hello:

Interesting post TN :)
On Sunday I was at a dig and was talking to a guy known as Spartigus, he posted a couple of times on here, and showed a video of a large Roman hoard being dug.
Anyway we got talking in the field, and he told me of a area nearby were we digging, were, he discovered a Roman Villa :o which he duly reported to The Archy's :notworthy: bad move :-\ the next time he visited the site , the Archy's were there doing a dig, he duly introdced himself as the finder of the site, only to be told that he could not detect the site anymore, they don't want us on sites digging up relics, they say it's down to them to recover, plane and simple, tell them nothing, the only thing I would tell them about , is a burial :)

SS

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread