Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bottom line is it is against the law, and the government is not going to ever change that...... If it is a fine of $9000 then that is the fine, the man knew it was against the law and got caught breaking the law, so now he pays the price. A stiff fine will make him think twice about doing it again...

In truth very little of the battle grounds of most battle fields are actually in the parks control........

lostcauses

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2008
NewsMan said:
lostcauses said:
You also fit as an outsider in the game with the responses you have made.

Which ones...? The one where I think people should get permission? The one where I think relic positioning is important to history? The one where I believe it would take 1,000 years for a minnie ball to "crumble"? Which one shows I'm an outsider? I've been MD'ing for 15 years, have owned three detectors (currently an MXT) and don't consider myself an "outsider". Sorry.

The post were you asked folks to send you GPS information. The post that it all about the money. etc.

By the way I am on your side. I would love to see a system were the locations of finds could be sent and stored: and used by the archeologists.. both relic and artifacts.

Simple reality that is ignored by the Archys, and Law Enforcement is this stuff is going to go away. They might catch a few, but it will still go one.

Finding a way to get the data, should be a priority. Yet there is no simple answer..

And a couple of questions I got to ask you:
Have you been tempted to cross that line of the law??
Are you addicted to Md'ing??

NewsMan

Mar 25, 2011
[/quote]

#1 - Yes
#2 - No

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
NewsMan said:

#1 - Yes
#2 - No
[/quote]

No and no. Period

I chase Spanish trails.
Carefully.

Always research property BEFORE entering.
People still get shot at for trespassing.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aquila said:
TnMountains said:
The guy at Chickamauga was wrong and he knew it. You can not pick up anything. It is well posted there. He found 3 bullets and did not have a metal detector. The equiptment being used out there is exposing some top soil. Chickamauga is the second largest battlefield behind Gettysburgh. It is hallowed ground.They have had problems with people sneaking in and hunting at night for years. They have to prosecute offenders.
Exactly how hallowed is ground were people have been slaughtered :(. I haven`t noticed Berlin isnt very hallowed ground after what happened 1945.

You are kidding right? Aquila :angry9:
Anyways. I am seeing a date of 2005 on this arrest. There was similiar incident out there a month or so ago ???
The Archeologist do not really care to excavate many sites because they do not contain any new information. I know of several large sites containing hunderds of ancient burials where they would do a sampling of the culture and get a time line. The few items they did keep were jaw dropping,,, but it was nothing that has not been seen before so they let big money build the complex over the whole thing. Same thing with our Battlefields that are protected. There is not much new there that has not been seen before and they figure it is better for it to rot in the ground. :dontknow: Anyways after War World II many of these places were dug to death by the old mine detectors.
If they let people metal detect it, it would be destroyed. Imagine Gettysburgh with holes all over the place. I have lost great sites around here because people snuck in with no permission and stole and put holes everywhere.
I think the guy knew he was wrong and he was. Why risk everything for a few relics?
To many places to hunt with permission. :icon_sunny:

lostcauses

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2008
I think the guy knew he was wrong and he was. Why risk everything for a few relics?

That is the question of a lot of acts with in the relic/ artifact hunting / looting. WHY??
The money? The need for a find? The reality that "most likely will never get caught?? Etc..

One of the most prolific looters ( pot hunter grave digger) made a simple statement that is total ignored by most.
He said he would do it even if he could not make money at it. ( He did make money at it also).

This is not an uncommon statement in all of the field of relic/ artifact hunting and all of its forms.

It this topic the guy was warned and still went back. Stupidity/ money/ or some thing more??

Rational thinking checks out for a few items in or on the ground.

NewsMan and Old Dog, thank for the answers.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think they could raise a lot of money if they would sponsor national hunts for a large entry fee in those areas and use the money to improve and maintain the battle fields. These hunts could be held once or twice a year under the auspices and supervision of the national park service and the recovered items could be turned in and put into a museum for all time. As it is, soon there will not be anything in the field worth salvaging and I don't think anyone would agree that those historical items should just be allowed to rust and rot away. And oh yeh, that guy is an idiot!Monty

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Lets get real about this!
Legally, he was dead wrong.
Morally, I would say he was forced into it by not being able to legally get permission.
If he was fined for digging holes and leaving them, I would say that is OK.
If he is fined for stealing "government property" Boooo.
Frank

fishbone3d

Apr 1, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Whites Prizm III, Bounty Hunter
The problem is, that the majority of the MD community is very respectful. The other one percent ruins it for us all. I was recently exploring an old gunpowder mill, that exploded in the early 1900's. As I walked along some of the foundations in the middle of the woods, I saw holes. Not little ones, huge ones! There were some, that a small child could fall into. Whoever was there, just left these holes in the ground. That is the problem that a lot of places see. Just think for a moment... You are hiking in the forest with one of your loved ones. All of a sudden, your loved one breaks their ankle, or leg because of a hole that some disrespectful person left unfilled. What if a thousand of us went out to a place to hunt, and only one left the holes unearthed? That is the problem with this situation. The holes that I saw in the forest were huge! A hole the size of a child's foot though, could still do some serious damage. They have to make generalized laws out there for a lot of places, because of a small band of idiots. Did you ever read the warning on items like bleach or detergent? DO NOT DRINK! It is there, because someone in the past did just that. A lot of these laws just come down to insurance and liability. That is why a lot of property owners will not let you hunt. Not out of greed, but out of the fear of being sued if you get hurt. I have a lake on my property. The insurance is twice as much because of that body of water. It is because historically, people get hurt and then sue the owners.

Aquila

Jun 9, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 150, Golden mask 3
TNMountains, No disrespectful thoughts here ;D. I know US civil w battlefields are holy and intresting places. Just this is what is >:( >:( >:( >:( "that you dug two bullets from federal land. You stole from goverment and u will go to jail next 20 years". Metal detectorists there with the murderers and rapists and other criminals because they want find and save artefacts :P.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aquila said:
TNMountains, No disrespectful thoughts here ;D. I know US civil w battlefields are holy and intresting places. Just this is what is >:( >:( >:( >:( "that you dug two bullets from federal land. You stole from goverment and u will go to jail next 20 years". Metal detectorists there with the murderers and rapists and other criminals because they want find and save artefacts :P.

It appears your laws and restrictions are just as bad........

http://www.nba.fi/en/antiquitiesacte

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aquila said:

We are good and I understand what you are saying. I just wrote a thesis and deleted the whole thing.It took a long time for this to get to court down in Rome. The fine was excessive. This economy and government has people scrambling I guess and relics ,especially Civil war relics are income to some. People make bad decisions that hurts all of us. Especially the diggers with out permission that steal.

That is all I am going to say.

Aquila

Jun 9, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 150, Golden mask 3
In Finland 100 years old older finds should be reported to the national board of antiquities. Never heard anyone has been arrested but there are hunreds of detectorists now here and detector market is booming. So it is matter of time when somebody is arrested also here and maybe whole hobby will become illegal like in Sweden. Estonia has also prohibiting hobby next summer. Some idiots are digging even iron age tombs and that is grave robbing and strictly forbbiden by law.. These guys really should be prosecuted. When I started detecting hobby years ago I never saw anyone other detecting. I believe there wasnt anybody doing this in my hometown when I started. But that was years ago. Last summer there was small meeting and there was 10 people Wow. :tongue3:

Small edit. I dont believe this dude left holes. I have dug 10 000 bullets, roundballs, musketballs etc. from 1710 war to Finnish war 1808, civil war 1918 and WW2 and never left any holes. ;D

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Fishbone3d, I stated that if he left holes he should have fined for that, but walking in the woods is not like walkind down the sidewalk. You have to take the responsibility of watching the area you are walking on. Mother nature furnishes holes and rotten stumps also. Don't blame all the holes on detectorest!! Frank

JD-GA

Feb 2, 2010
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Im in Georgia also and to let all know exactly what a person has to do to detect legally is........... First get written permission from the land owner where you will be hunting. This means if its owned by the federal government you are already ruled out. If its owned by the state government you are ruled out. If its owned by local as in city or county you may get permission but that is up to your talking skills. And of course private land you may get permission.

Now that is hoop number 1. Hoop 2 you must then jump through is to then email, mail, or fax your copy of written permission with a form of identification of your own to the state archeologist for approval. If you receive approval you will then be allowed to proceed. Now if you dont do step 2 the chances of getting in real trouble arent real high but if you are caught you can lose anything you find to the state. Of course this is exactly why no one follows that rule because telling them who you are, where you will be, and when gives them exactly what they need to come see what you find.

The best part? When I called to get all this info I asked what I needed to hunt my own backyard and I was told I didnt need written permission but I did have to inform the state arche when, where, and what in order to get permission from them to do so.

This my friends is certified BS.

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
JD-GA said:
The best part? When I called to get all this info I asked what I needed to hunt my own backyard and I was told I didnt need written permission but I did have to inform the state arche when, where, and what in order to get permission from them to do so.

This my friends is certified BS.

I agree, it is your property and what you dig on that property is and rightly should be yours.
to do with as you see fit.

If you want to melt the bullets down for fishing weights ... it is your business.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread