This is fun!

fiatboy

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2007
I just started coin roll hunting this week, and wow it's fun! I haven't ordered any boxes yet, but I have found 5 90% halves, 16 40% halves, a 1989 Proof half, and 10 Ike dollars---thanks to a friendly and informed teller. Altogether I searched about 450 dollars worth. The first 300 dollars worth were nothing but clads, but the last few rolls were just incredible. The last roll alone had 3 1964's. I couldn't believe it! Anyway, I'm hooked, and I love the discussion. First thing Monday morning, I'm off to the bank

Upvote 0

tw656

Jan 13, 2007
Congrats!

Its a great hobby, in so many ways!

The first time I roll searched about 7 months ago, I walked away from the bank with 2 half rolls and about 20 ikes. In the rolls, I found a couple 64's, a 40%er and a Walker. That was it. I was hooked. I search now nearly every other day.

Searcher.

E

el_gral

ConGrats man, I know what u mean I just started Coin roll hunting about 3 weeks ago, ive gone through $770 worth of halves and ive found about 20 silvers 8 of which were 1964's. Its really Fun!

OP
OP
fiatboy

fiatboy

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2007
I'm already mapping out which banks to hit (very interesting, mathematically)! However, for all you veteran hunters out there, I've a question: over the years, how much of a decline have you seen in the amount of silver in circulation?

Here's a sidenote. A few days ago, my girlfriend said that with silver prices _still_ rising year after year, it's only a matter of time before more and more people start doing this, and she said that it's merely a race against time. And then later that night we were at a party and there were people drinking, chatting, etc.---the typical small talk at a college party---and the conversation turned to precious metals. Interesting, I thought. Since when is coin roll hunting the topic of conversation at a frat party? They talked about face value versus melt value, the Mint's new melting law, and one boy mused, "Why doesn't someone just go around to a bunch of banks and get all the silver and copper?" My girlfriend and I just looked at each other. If they only knew that we had been to a dozen or so banks that very day. haha. We didn't say anything. What do you veterans think about all this? Do you encourage others and risk competition? And how much silver do you really think is left out there? I've been into numismatics for years, and "knew of" coin roll hunting, but only recently have I heard others talking about it. And again, I love the forum!

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are exactly the "imponderables" we try to figure out here, fiatboy.

According to HobBob's numbers for last year everyone on this site collectively found over 11,000 40% halves and just under 2,500 90% halves (Barbers, Walkers, Franklins and JFK's combined). That's barely a drop in the bucket compared to how many were made. And let's assume there are 100x more roll hunters than we have here who don't report their findings and had similar results as our group. It still comes to just a fraction of the silver that was minted. I think silver will be around for quite awhile.

bigtime400

Jan 27, 2007
the moon
I think they will be around for a while. Less and less im sure just because there are always new ones coming out even though not as much as they used to make. Yes collectors are getting some. But a teller once told me that alot of older people just bring them in and cash in their coins that they have had forever and dont really care. So im sure there is new stuff getting added every day! I know it probably seems insane to me or you.... but not everyone is a coin collector. and the money they would make isn't worth it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread