This is the strangest thing I have found so far!

Company F

Mar 16, 2009
Nashville, TN
Detector(s) used
White's MXT/White's Classic IDX/Fisher F2
I found this today at a public park in my neighborhood. I was getting a VDI of 85 on my White's MXT using my smaller 5.3 concentric sniper coil. It is an old brass Coca Cola watch fob measuring 1-3/4" by 1-3/4" and was manufactured around 1925 by the Schwaab company in Milwaukee. Cokes were 5 cents back in those days and probably still contained cocaine. Back then, the swastika was a symbol of good fortune and success. It had been used throughout history dating back to the ancient Egyptians and our own Native Americans, just to mention a couple. It was not a symbol of hatred or Nazi Germany yet. This was all about to change.

Attachments

• IMG_2109.jpgcrpsm.jpg
    IMG_2109.jpgcrpsm.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 2,615
Upvote 3

milk86

Jun 6, 2011
Oklahoma City, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
High Plains Digger said:
I have a "good luck" medallion with a large swastika on it, surrounded by other good luck tokens.

I believe that the Good Luck piece that you are talking about is called an Excelsior Shoe Medallion. This was placed on Boy Scout shoes back when scouting first started just to let the scout know he was wearing official shoes. If the item is silver that was given to the scoutmaster if all the scouts had the official shoe. Back in Victorian era it meant good luck leave it to Hitler to mess that up. lol

High Plains Digger

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2008
I will have to go and look for it. I seem to remember the date "1910" on it, maybe a bit early for BSA, but maybe not. I am not relying on my memory any more (see CLAY MARBLE in the ID forum). Let's see if I can find it and get a photo on the thread for general information. I will also try to get the recruiting poster. It is too cool, and the swastika is a super minor but interesting artifact in it.

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have seen a few around at gun shows....60 dollars is a decent price.

milk86

Jun 6, 2011
Oklahoma City, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
High Plains Digger said:
I will have to go and look for it. I seem to remember the date "1910" on it, maybe a bit early for BSA, but maybe not. I am not relying on my memory any more (see CLAY MARBLE in the ID forum). Let's see if I can find it and get a photo on the thread for general information. I will also try to get the recruiting poster. It is too cool, and the swastika is a super minor but interesting artifact in it.

here is a link for you. http://www.sageventure.com/coins/misc.html 1910 is the date stamped on them as this was the year scouting begain.

Bunker

Apr 6, 2010
St. Pete, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / Etrac / T2se / Blisstool V5
Pistol Probe / Pro Pointer / VibraProbe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way cool find!!! Congrats!
Bunker

High Plains Digger

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2008
Milk 86---good research. There were so many of them, but it must have been like type 11, as I was a boy scout and the time and maybe would have remembered if it was like the others that said BOY SCOUT. That is it. I thought it was a little weird at the time I received it.

To all the posters: This was an interesting thread the Coke watch fob generated. I enjoyed it and learned from it. How much better can that be?

milk86

Jun 6, 2011
Oklahoma City, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
High Plains Digger said:
Milk 86---good research. There were so many of them, but it must have been like type 11, as I was a boy scout and the time and maybe would have remembered if it was like the others that said BOY SCOUT. That is it. I thought it was a little weird at the time I received it.

To all the posters: This was an interesting thread the Coke watch fob generated. I enjoyed it and learned from it. How much better can that be?

Not bad for not seeing a picture...LOL I have been in scouting as an adult now for going on 4 years and as a youth as well. I am glad that I was able to help you identify a treasure. I have one of those little jewels. They are selling on ebay for about 15.00 no I did not buy it from there. I am getting geared up to go MD'ing with the son ( 14 ) for the first time. We and a friend are going to hunt an ghost town of Oklahoma tomorrow. I am hoping that he finds something old just to get him going with MD'ing.

Keep Digging

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool find! :icon_pirat:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here in Hungary the swastika, together with the red star and hammer&sickle are illegal to display in public (flags, t-shirts, hats, armbands, jewelry, etc) except for purposes of education, reenactment, etc.. So please appreciate the freedom to display your antique nazi-coca-cola medal!!! :laughing7:
Anyway, it's a real cool find. Congrats!!!!!!!!! :hello2:
Sorry wrong answer. The Nazis had nothing whatsoever to do with this Coca-Cola Fob. The swastika symbol has been around for thousands of years before the word "nazi" ever existed. Hitler was the pig who turned it into a symbol of hatred.

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI Company F; Now that is COOOOOOOOOLLLLL. !!!! PEACE:RONB

JmCraz8

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Currently using: XP DEUS, T2 SE and the Garret Carrot lol
Have used: Garret Ace 250, Garret AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting