This is why i love my job

JasonL2972

May 8, 2005
sterling CT
The coin gods musta heard my prayers ( and late night crying fits).For those that don't know,i work with old old pianos,which i often find old coins in.Well,it was slow today so after alot of complaining the boss convinced me to start on the old 1920's player piano thats been kickin around the shop for close to 30 years.I took all the usual parts off in preparing to rebuild/refinsih it and happily searched under the keys for coins and stuff.Ah great,to old wheats.my lucky day i thought.Then it was time to tip the piano on a truck onto its back.Ok,fight with the weight,finally got it down...CLUNK!!.Hey,whats that?An old moth eatin,mouse chewed yellowish envelope.Seems pretty heavy,something in it...YEE HAAA!!!!!! Not one,but 2 silver dollars!! One from 1887 and the other 1921.And in awesome condition.
Needless to say,i came home from work early and with a smile so big i barely fit threw the door.God sometimes i just love my job!

Attachments

• dollar.JPG
    dollar.JPG
    24.3 KB · Views: 1,026
  • dollar2.JPG
    dollar2.JPG
    24.8 KB · Views: 1,018
Upvote 0

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! What an awesome day you had!!!

Congrats!!!

;)

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice coins,

HH

Lonewolfe

cableman79

May 17, 2005
Mobile, Alabama
You gotta love it when God just kicks ya in the butt!

1 Corinthians 10:31

So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does this mean that from now on you will be the guy who tips pianos! I can envision your name tag,"Jason, Chief Piano Tipper Overer"! :D Great find.

Getty

Bronze Member
May 1, 2005
Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds jason!!That 21 looks to be in AU condition.HH

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Totally awesome finds,,, WTG!!!
Good luck & Happy hunting~

F

Floater

I Love it when my favorite tune starts to play. Ching Ching. ;D HH

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Those are some nice morgans. That would have been a great surprise. It's just as big when you dig one. It's been about ten years for me but I have found a few myself. I guess you didn't have to work any over time that day.

Happy piano huntin Jer

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder if the wife would understand if I start buying old player pianos to search. Ha!

NO WAY !

Ed

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome treasure story! I'm still tempted to look inside my piano. Maybe tomorrow!

Chester Copper Pot

Apr 16, 2005
WI
Detector(s) used
Whites Idx Pro
Top news story tonight reads "Local authorities baffled at the recent rash of tipped pianos." I have been calling on freebie piano's for months. Now I have another reason to score one. Great finds!

OP
OP
J

JasonL2972

May 8, 2005
sterling CT
Thankyou everyone for the great replys.I love this site.If any of you do decide to check your pianos,be sure to look in the back at the bottom.Stick your hand right in there way down,as for thats where my coins came from this time.I find that alot of people put things on top of the piano and sometimes they fall in back.Be careful though,as many a picture was hung over a piano and fell breaking glass and leaving sharp pieces in the back.Also behind the front bottom board there's lots of room,and was a favorite for owners to hide their good stuff.The best place is under the keys though,because kids always stuck stuff between them and it would fall into the hollow beneath.They usually remain there because in order to get them you must remove alot of delicate parts,mainly the whole action.And if you have a grand piano,don't bother,under the keys is totally different and leaves no room to lose coins.Although once i did find some teens pot stash tucked away underneath on one of the beams.Of course we disposed of it right away..........NO not that way..lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread