diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sites like these on the internet. https://ancientstoneart.blogspot.com/p/did-you-know-that-native-americans.html

Look it's a head! Ridiculous.

New_1_Dec13+761.JPG

Now for my rock, lol!

At least this rock is interesting. I still haven't figured out whether it's natural or carved. It was posted in the Rocks and Minerals board but the consensus was natural or not sure from the few who did reply. I don't know. It was in a collection of Mixtec artifacts that I purchased.

IMG_6740 (1280x818).jpg IMG_6739 (1280x721).jpg IMG_6734 (1280x720).jpg IMG_6736 (1280x720).jpg IMG_6771 (1280x697).jpg
IMG_6770 (1280x809).jpg IMG_6773 (1280x904).jpg IMG_6774 (1280x772).jpg

Attachments

• IMG_6737 (1280x809).jpg
    IMG_6737 (1280x809).jpg
    235.4 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
Upvote 0

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Would be extremely difficult to carve. Why go through all of the difficulty to just carve a cool design? Anything is possible but looks natural to me.

Mine Shaft

Apr 11, 2017
Fontana, California
Detector(s) used
NA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OMG, i just red a few comments. This will fuel the fire for sure. PPl need to read about native American cultures and get informed. If they want to find the truth about these so called images in rocks & stones they need to contact a geologist or go to there local collage but its very doubtful they will. The person that designed that website is a nutjob.

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah complete BS .... unreal people would even think natives would make such crappy , sloppy effigys just look at any arrowhead and the skill required that should be proof enough that there rocks are all natural

Mine Shaft

Apr 11, 2017
Fontana, California
Detector(s) used
NA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Some of the stones should be in the Smithsonian and a lot of these ppl should see a shrink its a affliction that should not go untreated.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That website was pretty darn professional looking, but it doesn't make those rocks artifacts. Totally ridiculous! "FAKE" archeology. As for your rock, I remember you've shared this before. I'm pretty sure this was an almost spherical, finely layered concretion, curiously eroded. In fact, I believe you could come pretty close to replicating it with an onion. Slice it in half across the rings, then remove slices at an angle to the center ring until you get that curved ring appearance. I just tried it, and it works. For whatever reason, that's how it wore down
naturally. IMHO. It IS cool, and I would keep it.

georgia flatlander

May 21, 2017
Southeastern U.S. (Georgia)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My rule of thumb is that Indians were not into abstract art. They created things that were as similar as possible to the real thing. If you have to turn your head a certain way, or portray something in certain lighting in order to 'see' it, chances are that it ain't what you think it is.

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well people I believe this is more widespread than we first thought. It's called "portable rock art".

Here is a site dedicated to portable rock art.

Archaeology of Portable Rock Art

another... https://www.rockartmuseum.com/

and more...

Portable Rock Art / Figure Stones - America's (almost) Invisible Prehistory

What I really wish is that I could find something/anything remotely similar to my eroded rock. I've searched concretions and nodules and naturally eroded rock forms looking for something close. Searched through Simon & Schusters Guide to Rocks and Minerals trying to ID the rock itself with no luck. Until then maybe I'll put it on ebay for $1k or something. lol, Joking :laughing7:.

Last edited:

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just went on that site and told them it was B.S. but there was a message saying my comment needed to be"approved". I suggest everybody here calls them to the carpet too.

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In Colorado they call it "stoned art". Suggest they make it into a necklace for their wife.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sites like these on the internet. https://ancientstoneart.blogspot.com/p/did-you-know-that-native-americans.html

Look it's a head! Ridiculous.

New_1_Dec13+761.JPG

Now for my rock, lol!

At least this rock is interesting. I still haven't figured out whether it's natural or carved. It was posted in the Rocks and Minerals board but the consensus was natural or not sure from the few who did reply. I don't know. It was in a collection of Mixtec artifacts that I purchased.

View attachment 1621189 View attachment 1621193 View attachment 1621188 View attachment 1621191 View attachment 1621197
View attachment 1621194 View attachment 1621195 View attachment 1621196

Natural or carved, your rock is bad arse. If its natural its one in a million, if its carved its one in a million !! Nice find diggumup !! I wouldn't pass it up out on the trail.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found a couple of those web sites too. Fake news! There are a lot of delusional people in this world evidently. Gary

jamus peek

May 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well people I believe this is more widespread than we first thought. It's called "portable rock art".

Here is a site dedicated to portable rock art.

Archaeology of Portable Rock Art

another... https://www.rockartmuseum.com/

and more...

Portable Rock Art / Figure Stones - America's (almost) Invisible Prehistory

What I really wish is that I could find something/anything remotely similar to my eroded rock. I've searched concretions and nodules and naturally eroded rock forms looking for something close. Searched through Simon & Schusters Guide to Rocks and Minerals trying to ID the rock itself with no luck. Until then maybe I'll put it on ebay for $1k or something. lol, Joking :laughing7:.

I love it when they pile three rocks on top of each other and then call it a Mammoth.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
someone put a lot of time and thought into that site! but what the heck...look at how many world religions there are and all the stories that go with them...so here is a question...are there any European sites documenting nonsense over there?

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still hold the same thoughts as Kray does concerning your stone as well diggum. At least you dont have "diamonds" showing up here. Picture rocks I understand but I agree there is a world of difference in whats manufactured by hand and what you can just pick up in a stream bed.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
For many years, all the artifact forums have had to deal with folks bearing rocks, and rocks described as effigies. I know I myself have put much time and effort into understanding what at times just seems to be a delusional belief system. Writing to the folks who are behind the portable rock art sites described in this thread would do little good, IMHO.

And look at this development, from the mainstream world of art history, not from the delusional world of rocks claimed as effigies, but from the mainstream art world:

First Sculpture: Handaxe to Figure Stone at the Nasher

https://www.dallasnews.com/arts/vis...culpture-includes-object-23-million-years-old

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just went on that site and told them it was B.S. but there was a message saying my comment needed to be"approved". I suggest everybody here calls them to the carpet too.

Same here. Our comments will never see the light of day.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
someone put a lot of time and thought into that site! but what the heck...look at how many world religions there are and all the stories that go with them...so here is a question...are there any European sites documenting nonsense over there?

See the links I left above. Although the exhibit ran in Dallas, the suggested effigies were from Old World sites far older then any known in the New World....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread