diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sites like these on the internet. https://ancientstoneart.blogspot.com/p/did-you-know-that-native-americans.html

Look it's a head! Ridiculous.

New_1_Dec13+761.JPG

Now for my rock, lol!

At least this rock is interesting. I still haven't figured out whether it's natural or carved. It was posted in the Rocks and Minerals board but the consensus was natural or not sure from the few who did reply. I don't know. It was in a collection of Mixtec artifacts that I purchased.

IMG_6740 (1280x818).jpg IMG_6739 (1280x721).jpg IMG_6734 (1280x720).jpg IMG_6736 (1280x720).jpg IMG_6771 (1280x697).jpg
IMG_6770 (1280x809).jpg IMG_6773 (1280x904).jpg IMG_6774 (1280x772).jpg

Attachments

• IMG_6737 (1280x809).jpg
    IMG_6737 (1280x809).jpg
    235.4 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Same here. Our comments will never see the light of day.

Yes, this is an excercise in futility. It's not as if they have never heard from detractors before. For every idea that could be conceivably entertained by we humans, there will be people who support it. JMO, but its best to leave be the creators and supporters of such websites. They are, after all, entitled to be mistaken. And, if someone falls under their spell, so to speak, well, one cannot "save" everyone. And this is the World Wide Web. It's a democratic venue, where every idea under the sun can, and will, have its proponents.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
one thing is for sure, i can pick up "effigy" stones all day long from any site i go to but not find an actual worked point or even a pressure flake for weeks on end. some one sure was busy making human heads and thunderbirds and dropping them willy-nilly ...maybe it was the Jesuits!

Fred250

Jun 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I try not to believe everything I read on the net. It’s hard when it describes exactly what I see.

PullTabSlayer

Jan 31, 2017
Troy Missouri
Detector(s) used
That one I grab for the day.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have several rocks that look like yours, I have found mine in creeks or river sand bars, i think they are petrified pieces of wood that are worn down to what would have been the wood grain. I didn't read all the posts so sorry if someone else posted this.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I try not to believe everything I read on the net. It’s hard when it describes exactly what I see.

Well, in fairness, here's another article about the same research, but not from The Sun:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/science...-may-have-used-mysterious-moonlit-ceremonies/

I could also post the abstract from the academic paper, but the full paper is too costly, so I won't bother. I debated this subject elsewhere on the web(the archaeologica forum), and it was rightly pointed out that, when recording petroglyphs, it is always best to do so when the rock panel is hit by very low angle light, near sunrise, or near sunset. I recorded a large petroglyph site in RI years ago, and obtained my best results near sunrise, as my site faced East. Anyway, it's possible moonlight would work best at those British sites, and their speculations may be way off as far as ceremonies by moonlight is concerned They may just be noting that glyphs are best seen in certain lighting conditions.

I have to doubt you are seeing the same type of carvings here as are seen at Megalithic sites in Great Britain, however. Although there is a lot of similarities in rock art the world over. But, rock art, as in petroglyphs, is simply not the same as stone effigies, and that British research was dealing with carvings on stone, not the effigies as seen on the portable rock art sites.

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
diggummup;5898033 Now for my rock said:

If the material is volcanic in origin, I'd bet it's some type of stamp or roller. As you probably know, the Mixtec were prolific stamp makers, usually clay but rock ones are fairly common. A lot of times they are round, but they can also be oval to "rounded triangle" depending on the design.

My artifacts are packed up while we are living overseas, but here is a roller stamp I have from the Caribbean that has a detailed design on the front but the back & sides has a similar concentric line design.

Maybe loop the grooves, they should show peck marks or work. Or if you get some clay you can flatten it out and roll the stamp across the surface and then rinse off the rock to remove any clay before it dries. (If you are using playdough you might want to lightly oil the surface so nothing sticks.)

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, it helps when I actually load the photo.

View attachment 1621830
Photo still didn't load. I don't think it's a roller type stamp though. It's not round enough. Definitely not petrified wood of any type.It has a glassy black almost obsidian like appearance when viewed close up here (Click photo 3 times). Best viewed on something other than a phone...

IMG_6770 (1800x1292).jpg

The the other end does show some small holes though out it...

IMG_6774 (1800x1268).jpg

I'm gonna see if 30x viewing helps anything.

Whatever it is, it's much more exciting than those portable rock art things they call artifacts.

Attachments

• IMG_6725 (1280x721).jpg
    IMG_6725 (1280x721).jpg
    256.1 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_6726 (1061x1280).jpg
    IMG_6726 (1061x1280).jpg
    434.7 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi Charl, would love to see your glyphs, maybe post in a new thread as not to tread on this one.

The site I recorded, and which was included in a book on Northeastern petroglyphs, is complex, at least the story is, but I can do that sometime. In the meantime, when I've time later today, I can post a couple of examples of portable petroglyphs from New England...

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've edited my last post. After running a few tests and examining it closer, I'm want to say this is a naturally eroded piece of rock, no matter how unique. My gut is telling me that but my brain wants to argue with me. Probably because I have yet to find something/anything that even remotely resembles a piece of this size.

It streak tests white. Anybody know what kind of black rock leaves a white streak?

I took a toothpick to one of the grooved areas and it lifted some off white material out of the depression. The "channels" do fizz when a drop of hydrochloric acid is put on it. However, the main rock itself not affected. I'm wondering if the reaction to the acid is just the foreign matter deposited in the weathered areas over time.

I'm also wondering if I should soak it in acid to find out? What do you think? Or maybe there is some other type of solution I can use with my ultrasonic cleaner to clean off any foreign debris?

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've edited my last post. After running a few tests and examining it closer, I'm want to say this is a naturally eroded piece of rock, no matter how unique. My gut is telling me that but my brain wants to argue with me. Probably because I have yet to find something/anything that even remotely resembles a piece of this size.

It streak tests white. Anybody know what kind of black rock leaves a white streak?

I took a toothpick to one of the grooved areas and it lifted some off white material out of the depression. The "channels" do fizz when a drop of hydrochloric acid is put on it. However, the main rock itself not affected. I'm wondering if the reaction to the acid is just the foreign matter deposited in the weathered areas over time.

I'm also wondering if I should soak it in acid to find out? What do you think? Or maybe there is some other type of solution I can use with my ultrasonic cleaner to clean off any foreign debris?

I admit to thinking the same thing Joshuaream suggested when I first saw your rock, because somewhere in the recesses I thought I remembered associating Mixtecs with objects like that. Did not say anything, because it was just a vague memory, and searches brought up no images where I could say "aha, there's one". But, what I would suggest is to just leave it be. Joshuaream knows his stuff where Mesoamerican stuff is concerned, and you may someday be able to show it to authorities specializing in Mixtec. That may be a long shot, I know, but I would not soak it in acid. None of my business, but since you asked, I would not damage it without being 1000% certain I did not have something. You won't gain anything really by soaking it in acid. JMHO.

Fred250

Jun 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A dark stone chamber with a small shaft of light let in would make a good place to see art made for the dark. I think we got a few of those around here. Just a thought.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A dark stone chamber with a small shaft of light let in would make a good place to see art made for the dark. I think we got a few of those around here. Just a thought.

Yes indeed. A change of subject, but I've been involved for years investigating some of these chambers. I am not aware of any with petroglyph panels, however. But the famous Upton chamber in Mass. was recently demonstrated to be pre-Colonial:

Study suggests Upton Cave is Native American - News - Milford Daily News - Milford, MA

https://www.researchgate.net/public..._Suggestions_for_Future_Luminescence_Research

Colonial root cellars or something older? People in the Northeast have been researching that question for close to 100 years now....

Stone Structures of Northeastern U.S. - Prehistoric - Chambers

Here's an inteteresting grouping I found in Foster, RI. The stick in the photos is one meter, so the two smaller structures here are very small for such things. But, in general, local tribes have lately been tying such sites to their oral traditions. It's made for an interesting debate in New England and the Northeast as to just how old the many chambers in our region really are.

IMG_1149.PNG

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions