This looks promising.

kc10bull

Jan 20, 2006
Palm Harbor, FL
Detector(s) used
excal / Fisher
I'm guessing you found something very interesting and you might have even done a dance when you finally looked into that pile of rocks. Still we are curious, but we do understand about loose lips! Enjoy your discovery and keep us guessing! ??? :smileinbox:

littleneckhalfshell

Jun 21, 2005
Responding to the statement.....

""What does it matter where it is? This is a sedimentary outcrop of rocks, not igneous or metamophic. Looks like limestone to me, maybe sandstone. Either way are you telling me that there is gold in them there hills???""

Check out: http://www.prospectorsparadise.com/html/geology.html

"One widely accepted hypothesis proposes that many gold deposits, especially those found in volcanic and sedimentary rocks, formed from circulating ground waters driven by heat from bodies of magma (molten rock) intruded into the Earth's crust within about 2 to 5 miles of the surface."

Note, the words "sedimentary rocks" Gold is and always has been where you find it, and it can be found within 'sedimentary' locations.
Sometimes it may even be associated with particular sedimentary rocks, such as Dolomite, but the forces that push Gold to the surface through faults does not always have to be through igneous or metamorphic rocks.

karajo

Dec 29, 2004
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I love that when people post about potentially being able to find something cool, everyone tells them to keep their mouth shut. But when someone really does find something and doesn't want to talk about it for obvious reasons, everyone gets mad! ::)

Jul 9, 2010
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
hmm, i think he either found a cache, or nothing and just wanted to drive everyone mad with curiosity... i know i am now! :icon_scratch:

SushiDog

Oct 5, 2010
Sacramento, California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark (Under water unit)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was LQQKing at the face of the rock in the first pic, and does anyone see what I see? I see some sort of staining that might be a picture of something...perhaps an animal? SushiDog

Lucky13

Oct 9, 2010
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics,Teknetics,TEKNETICS!!
From looking at those pictures It appears to be the base of an old cliff sticking out of the hillside,looking at the pic of the rock pile its either been blasted to make the road bed and fallen that way,or maybe even and old grazing spot for cattle,The rocks were stacked commonly to herd cattle in the opposite direction as they will tend to not walk over a pile of stone,instead they`ll go around them.As far as the rusted lock goes,Unless its on posted property it isnt breaking and entering if you open it,Its more or less litter left beside of a road,Its worth checking out if the property isnt posted,But im betting its more than likely nothing due to the location,Id like to see a photo of the lock,I could give you an idea of the time period as ive recovered a bunch of mid 1800` railroad locks and im quiet knowledgable of the time period padlocks generate from. Good Luck ,Hope its a confederate gold bullion stash,But im thinking its most likely and old explosives box from when they made te road bed based on the rock pictures posted here. Just be careful when you examine it next time.As old dynamite is quiet unstable.

coin_diver

Oct 3, 2003
Syracuse, ny
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, xl500 (27 yrs) XLT (17 yrs)
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Chances are someone lived there, judging by the soot inside. The other spot is definitely a covered well site which was needed for the squatter.

2bits

Nov 19, 2009
Detector(s) used
One to many
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What it appears you have there is a powder magazine. In the old days, miners, farmers, ranchers used to keep their Black powder and dynamite in that type of enclosure. Most had small doors just like that, and I have seen several built into the side of cliffs just like it. The soot could very well be decayed powder. They liked to build them in cliffs away from the main houses and mines. HH
omm

DIGDIG

Nov 23, 2009
Space Coast/Florida
Detector(s) used
WHITES SURF P.I.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeez , this whole thread was a tease. it's smart to keep quiet about something you find but don't get the train rolling and then hit the breaks.

AlaskaAng

Dec 23, 2004
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
White's XLT, MXT Pro, Garrett AT Pro Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really? I was hoping to hear what was behind door #1 and under rock #2 :crybaby2:
You made us all real curious...

AlaskaAng

DIGDIG

Nov 23, 2009
Space Coast/Florida
Detector(s) used
WHITES SURF P.I.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kinda gotta wonder since the guy has not been on the site since his last comment on this.

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Put a very long stick in the hole looking for snakes. What is the latest news.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1. I hope he didn't use bolt cutters on the lock, maybe pried it open. Could be the only thing worth something (collector value).

2. If that hole is right above the road, hope he takes a friend. They might've shored the boulder up with rocks when the road was built instead of getting a piece of heavy equipment to move it.

3. Does look like a powder magazine. Hope he didn't try to pick up the case of dynamite that sweated all the nitro out! ;D ;D ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread