ProspectingForStone

Nov 17, 2017
North East USA Maine
Detector(s) used
Raider Gold, Old machine of my Father's
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi.

Apology for the strange thread title- I speak of the expression of luck "Knock on wood".. No?...Alright on to the question. :blackbeard:

So, I have an issue in my area with door knocking, it isn't an issue of guts, though admittedly people make me pretty nervous, it is more of an issue with the housing of the area not being owned by those living there as they are tenants, and have landlords.. so my asking would sound something to the effect of "Hi do you mind if I look in your yard a bit with my metal detector, I promise not too dig too deep and to recover any holes made"? "I rent here dude? You would need to ask my landlord". Then I am supposed to get a name or number if not a door slammed in my face, and constantly have to contact landlords around my tenant rented neighborhood?

It is too much for me to deal with, it is a legal risk to go on a property which isn't owned by tenants here even if such tenants are kind enough to say yes.

My question is in regards to those of us who absolutely will not knock on a door, those who fight the good fight to refuse, so my question is in relevance to other ideas on where to detect? For myself here in Maine beaches our my best friend, the river is my best friend due to taking a sail with my families sail boat and doing some island detecting- I am certain there are island owners who may allow this, and going for a boat trip to some accessible (God willing) beaches... but it is November. A few land areas and hunting ideas would be great to have on hand.

My own backyard is a must- I plan to start here, there are a couple parks around here and that is a maybe- Woods around the railroad are a maybe as long as I do not find any trespassing signs- perhaps the park trail towards the tracks is another maybe- these things I will have to look into. My grandmother's house (old farmhouse) is a must if I can get up there a couple times, good for a visit to see my Gram good for her, good for me, plus I know she would not mind too much if I detect out there. Good old Grams.

So, any other ideas guys? Anyone else around the board with a people fear- and a big legal and asking pain with tenant living to deal with who has any other ideas of general places to search?

Any help here very appreciated guys. My father went over a few basics on how to use the detector today- we tried some batteries but they are low and the detector will "detect" this. So as soon as I get the batteries needed I do not plan for an instant to sit inside all winter.

Better cold than bored.

Thanks everyone.

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi.

Apology for the strange thread title- I speak of the expression of luck "Knock on wood".. No?...Alright on to the question. :blackbeard:

So, I have an issue in my area with door knocking, it isn't an issue of guts, though admittedly people make me pretty nervous, it is more of an issue with the housing of the area not being owned by those living there as they are tenants, and have landlords.. so my asking would sound something to the effect of "Hi do you mind if I look in your yard a bit with my metal detector, I promise not too dig too deep and to recover any holes made"? "I rent here dude? You would need to ask my landlord". Then I am supposed to get a name or number if not a door slammed in my face, and constantly have to contact landlords around my tenant rented neighborhood?

It is too much for me to deal with, it is a legal risk to go on a property which isn't owned by tenants here even if such tenants are kind enough to say yes.

My question is in regards to those of us who absolutely will not knock on a door, those who fight the good fight to refuse, so my question is in relevance to other ideas on where to detect? For myself here in Maine beaches our my best friend, the river is my best friend due to taking a sail with my families sail boat and doing some island detecting- I am certain there are island owners who may allow this, and going for a boat trip to some accessible (God willing) beaches... but it is November. A few land areas and hunting ideas would be great to have on hand.

My own backyard is a must- I plan to start here, there are a couple parks around here and that is a maybe- Woods around the railroad are a maybe as long as I do not find any trespassing signs- perhaps the park trail towards the tracks is another maybe- these things I will have to look into. My grandmother's house (old farmhouse) is a must if I can get up there a couple times, good for a visit to see my Gram good for her, good for me, plus I know she would not mind too much if I detect out there. Good old Grams.

So, any other ideas guys? Anyone else around the board with a people fear- and a big legal and asking pain with tenant living to deal with who has any other ideas of general places to search?

Any help here very appreciated guys. My father went over a few basics on how to use the detector today- we tried some batteries but they are low and the detector will "detect" this. So as soon as I get the batteries needed I do not plan for an instant to sit inside all winter.

Better cold than bored.

Thanks everyone.

My understanding on tenants is that they have the right to use the land around their rental as described in their lease. Usually, that means detecting would be ok unless expressly forbidden. That applies to land they have personally rented (like around a house) and not common land like you find in some apartment complexes. I have no problem hunting a rental if I get a yes from a tenant. I figure the onus is transferred to them if there is a problem with the owner. After all, you did your part.......you did ask. Not your fault if the tenant didn't have the authority to grant permission.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread