THIS SHOULD GET YOUR ATTENTION IF YOURE IN SOUTHERN ARIZONA

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
THIS SHOULD GET YOUR ATTENTION IF YOU'RE IN SOUTHERN ARIZONA

This big mountain lion was shot recently in the San Pedro River Area. The big cat weighed 225 pounds. This area is just east of the Catalina / Rincon mountain ranges east of Tucson, Arizona. If this big lion does not have you looking over your shoulder then this will catch your attention below as these big cats have a huge range that they travel within prospecting areas.

biglion.jpg

Arizona Game and Fish has confirmed that Jaguars have moved into southern Arizona from Mexico. This big cat was treed by a lion hunter in Cochise County in southern Arizona. Loin hunter Donnie Fenn and his 10 year old daughter were out and about when his hound dogs had treed a large Jaguar. Currently AG&F have many cameras in undisclosed areas in the Santa Rita mountain range monitoring the movement of these large cats. The Santa Rita Mountains are just south of Tucson, Arizona. AG&F has many photos but would not release them as the surrounding areas would show just where these cats are being sighted.

jagr.jpg

Upvote 0

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You learn something new every day--I had no idea about the Jaguars in Arizona! Nice picture of the Mountain Lion--I saw a huge male this past summer about a mile from camp. I have no idea how much he weighed, and I didn't stop him to ask.

All the best,

Lanny

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep Jags,have been in Arizona for some time

Thats a big lion but I am doubting it was 225 lbs........regardless what they say.Those weights come up all the time on the net and they are usually urban legends....especially Arizona cats.The further North you go from the equator the larger (generally)are the animals average weight.The heaviest lions I have ever encounterd were in Canada........that is a big lion though!!!!!!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We see them all the time near Rich Hill, in Central Arizona.

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ditto, Lanny - "I had no idea" Side note: I think a MDer would be REALLY vunerable to attack, especially when alone, unarmed, concentrating on his
read-outs, and squatting over his dig hole.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys missed a "legendary",thread on here recently that touched severaltimes on the Jaguar topic"Big Cats In Tenn",in Gen Discussion

OP
OP
AzViper

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We see them all the time near Rich Hill, in Central Arizona.

Arizona has been home to the most famous prolific lion hunters to ever live,and my mentors!I used to make an annual trip to the Kaibab Plateu to run my hounds on lions on dry ground to tune them up.Great times!!!!

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's gotta be a fake. Sure... look at how they're putting it closer to the camera than their own bodies. The cat CANNOT be that big! No way. Hey Tim, call that guy in Tucson, you know, the one that wants me to come down and help him detect?? Tell him sompin's com up and I CAN'T make it. Ok? TTC

OP
OP
AzViper

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yep Jags,have been in Arizona for some time

Thats a big lion but I am doubting it was 225 lbs........regardless what they say.Those weights come up all the time on the net and they are usually urban legends....especially Arizona cats.The further North you go from the equator the larger (generally)are the animals average weight.The heaviest lions I have ever encounterd were in Canada........that is a big lion though!!!!!!

The person who emailed me the photo I work with. He saw the lion in person and said it weighed in at 225 lbs. The two hunters in the photo live in Casa Grande, Arizona. Here is another big cat... If memory serves me it weighed in at just under 200 pounds.

biglion1.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
AzViper

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It's gotta be a fake. Sure... look at how they're putting it closer to the camera than their own bodies. The cat CANNOT be that big! No way. Hey Tim, call that guy in Tucson, you know, the one that wants me to come down and help him detect?? Tell him sompin's com up and I CAN'T make it. Ok? TTC

I don't think the hunters intentions are to make the cat look bigger by them kneeling behind the cat. This is a classic pose that hunters do to show their rewards whether it’s a deer, javalina, elk, antelope, etc.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't think the hunters intentions are to make the cat look bigger by them kneeling behind the cat. This is a classic pose that hunters do to show their rewards whether it’s a deer, javalina, elk, antelope, etc.
WHOOSH!.... right over your head! (I was pulling your leg, friend) TTC

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
.......actually it is a trick,and is widely used by all hunters,that is exactly what they are doing too.Same thing with a fish,you hold it out from your body,and take the pic from down lower.Yea,ya know nobody trophy hunts so they wouldnt want there trophy looking bigger than it is>The Montana State record is 172 lbs

Last edited:

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kuger what kind of hounds did you run? I had Walkers . Great bear/longtail races!

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had em all,but partial to my Black and Tans and Finley River Walkers.I dont run anymore,did for 35 years though :thumbsup:

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This big mountain lion was shot recently in the San Pedro River Area. The big cat weighed 225 pounds. This area is just east of the Catalina / Rincon mountain ranges east of Tucson, Arizona. If this big lion does not have you looking over your shoulder then this will catch your attention below as these big cats have a huge range that they travel within prospecting areas.

View attachment 722489

Arizona Game and Fish has confirmed that Jaguars have moved into southern Arizona from Mexico. This big cat was treed by a lion hunter in Cochise County in southern Arizona. Loin hunter Donnie Fenn and his 10 year old daughter were out and about when his hound dogs had treed a large Jaguar. Currently AG&F have many cameras in undisclosed areas in the Santa Rita mountain range monitoring the movement of these large cats. The Santa Rita Mountains are just south of Tucson, Arizona. AG&F has many photos but would not release them as the surrounding areas would show just where these cats are being sighted.

View attachment 722490

Now if they could just be posted on the border and trained to only attack the illegals and drug runners!

arnofarrell

Feb 18, 2012
North West Iowa
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jaguars have been coming back in the south west for the last few decades. I have heard of reports in Texas, New Mexico and Arizonia. That lion pictured has a huge head. They must be kneeling back fairly far. Kugar, lions rarely do get over 200 especially in the south west. I was always told the biggest are further north in Canada. Also congrates on the lion in Montana, that must of been a rush to shot a cat with a bow.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Arno!Teddy Roosevelt holds the record weight and I beleive it is 230,and was killed in Colo....if that gives you any idea how rare a 225 lb lion is?

I stand corrected his was beat....
http://dnr.state.co.us/newsapp/press.asp?pressid=2081

Still 227 lbs and stood since 1901

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Arizona has been home to the most famous prolific lion hunters to ever live,and my mentors!I used to make an annual trip to the Kaibab Plateu to run my hounds on lions on dry ground to tune them up.Great times!!!!

Kugar, have you ever met Dave Carlson Home Page I play poker with him and his wife at the Legion Post in Yarnell.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread