THIS SHOULD GET YOUR ATTENTION IF YOURE IN SOUTHERN ARIZONA

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
THIS SHOULD GET YOUR ATTENTION IF YOU'RE IN SOUTHERN ARIZONA

This big mountain lion was shot recently in the San Pedro River Area. The big cat weighed 225 pounds. This area is just east of the Catalina / Rincon mountain ranges east of Tucson, Arizona. If this big lion does not have you looking over your shoulder then this will catch your attention below as these big cats have a huge range that they travel within prospecting areas.

biglion.jpg

Arizona Game and Fish has confirmed that Jaguars have moved into southern Arizona from Mexico. This big cat was treed by a lion hunter in Cochise County in southern Arizona. Loin hunter Donnie Fenn and his 10 year old daughter were out and about when his hound dogs had treed a large Jaguar. Currently AG&F have many cameras in undisclosed areas in the Santa Rita mountain range monitoring the movement of these large cats. The Santa Rita Mountains are just south of Tucson, Arizona. AG&F has many photos but would not release them as the surrounding areas would show just where these cats are being sighted.

jagr.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
AzViper

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And the dispute continues. As I said earlier I can only print what was forward to me. To say what the big cat weighs in the first photo is only an estimate from onlookers in these forums in looking at the photo. Bottom line the urban legend continues.

No,no,bud,not at all!!!!I am not arguing,I am clear,you are just repeating what was told to you......maybe it is!!If it is its in the top five heaviest ever recorded...ITS A HUGE CAT!!!

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Anyone know how bear spray works on mountain lions...in the unlikely event you had a chance to use it that is?

Mine it and recycle it!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Anyone know how bear spray works on mountain lions...in the unlikely event you had a chance to use it that is?

Mine it and recycle it!

Doesn't work on an angry or hungry bear. The lions are smaller, but lot's faster. I doubt most people would have time to get a shot off, much less fumble with a can of spray in an attack situation.

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Someone with brains, go to utube - Yosemite mountain lion vs. coyotes I'm too lame to get it up here:BangHead:

Last edited:

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry,very true,about the bears....I have seen it work(thank GAWD it did)and I had my camp ravaged by bears that bit my big can bear spray not once but three times.....the Mont. Outfitters assoc. now has that can.Lions attack from the back and immediatly go for the head/throat.I have seen video of a lion attack on small boy that actually knocked the boy out of his shoes....the boy made it thanks to Dad being close and quick!!
post note...I need to clarify...I was not in camp when the bears paid visit....my bear spray was obviously...my point being if it was a sure fire deterant the bear would have only bit it once?Its great to have when you have no other option and sometimes even with that option...while guiding a guide can not have a firearm,just bear spray,but when hunting on my own and had a side arm and spray I always found myself reaching for the spray

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good to know about bears and bear spray. Think I will keep carrying mine for the two legged predators though.

Mine it and recycle it!

Gravelwasher

Jan 3, 2011
El Dorado County
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Great thread with some great replies. Gotta say agree with most everything you put down Kuger. Woulden't want to be cat food but woulden't want to be the person on the front page of the local ppr for killing a cougar or bear, I would skin and eat the bear if I had to kill it and not say nothing about it unless someone saw it. Just as the ocean has dangers its not our safe play pool, the forest has its own residents and I respect that. Its the chance I take every time I go out and I do it willingly, not to say I wont shoot if I have to, but I do not go looking to shoot something. As far as I can tell these animals have been pushed back by urban sprawl enough where else can they go, will we ever decide not to develop more or will we all be living door to door someday, when is enough enough? Not just for the animals but for our own recreation and places to go to fix our nature deficit disorder we all get from slaving under fluorescent lighting in cubicals for 40 plus hours a week? I already go out to the national forest and find its been sold off and developed since my map was printed, nothing like Private property signs all over the place land locking sections of good gold country. Just my two cents for what it's worth.

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks viper - it could easily be condensed to 5 mins.(not by me!) The best part was a Tour bus going by 50 ft. away and the woman calling to somebody
- totally unaware.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just watch this and the action really starts at around the 5-minute mark. When it happens, you'll have to back it up again to catch it and see it again!!

Last edited:

cazisme

Aug 6, 2012
Motherload
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was Deer Hunting Near Weaverville in the wilderness area and found a cache of pots pans and the like that a bear had got into the blue barrrel it was in was chewed off at the top and I found one of those canned hams like an 8 pounder that had been chewed like bubble gum. That was when I began to take bears seriously. The same trip was after a larger forest fire that burnt all the 10 foot high sagebrush off except in deep gullies so we would roll rocks off the ridges into gullies and bears would run out the other side like 200-300 pounders last rock I rolled kicked out a bear that was easily 3 to 4 times the size of the other bears and I decided to not roll anymore rocks. On the way home stopped at ranger station and found out that they used this area to put all the bad bears from yosemite. No wonder they were everywhere in this area.

As for Mountain lions I know 2 people attacked by them one was one of the first recorded attacks in Califorina in the early 90's near the YUBA rRiver he was calling turkeys sitting with back to oak tree when all of a sudden he was smacke din the head by a lion knocking his shotgun 20 feet from him his brother was 20 yards away and only heard clatter saw no lion. Fish and game hemmed and hawed trying to call it a misunderstanding and not a human attack. He had to get 40 stiches on neck and head and rabies shots. Other one was in COOL another friend and his hunting partner were turkey hunting and had decoy out lion went up to decoy then turned and charger the two hunters who were up against an oak tree 20 yards away they yelled waved and then shot the lion which landed in his lap dead. Fish and Game accused him of shooting lion illegaly all kinds a grief until autopsy revealed that the wad of the 12 gage was a foot inside th lions chest and would have to have been shot at 0 to 3 feet for that to happen. Needless to say I am very aware and carefull hunting turkeys now.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Terry, that was an awesome video...right up to the point where the guy squeezed the trigger.
Honestly, I'm glad the hunter got his prize, but seeing that beautiful cat flopping in pain from
that first shot was a bit over the top for me. Done enough killin' in my life, and that was a good
reminder why I don't care to hunt anymore.

(I always asked myself..does this beautiful cat really need to die?)

Good work with the predator call, as lions are tough to call in and require the ultimate in
patience. A lion can take an hour to come in to a call, as they are very cautious critters
that generally watch awhile before they move in closer.

Just to clarify, the video didn't offend me, and I am glad the hunter got his
cat. It's more of a personal issue, as I just love cats of all kinds; from the formerly
feral cats that I've spent years socializing so they can have a regular home all the
way to the tigers and cheetahs I used to assist my sister with.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was Deer Hunting Near Weaverville in the wilderness area and found a cache of pots pans and the like that a bear had got into the blue barrrel it was in was chewed off at the top and I found one of those canned hams like an 8 pounder that had been chewed like bubble gum. That was when I began to take bears seriously. The same trip was after a larger forest fire that burnt all the 10 foot high sagebrush off except in deep gullies so we would roll rocks off the ridges into gullies and bears would run out the other side like 200-300 pounders last rock I rolled kicked out a bear that was easily 3 to 4 times the size of the other bears and I decided to not roll anymore rocks. On the way home stopped at ranger station and found out that they used this area to put all the bad bears from yosemite. No wonder they were everywhere in this area.

As for Mountain lions I know 2 people attacked by them one was one of the first recorded attacks in Califorina in the early 90's near the YUBA rRiver he was calling turkeys sitting with back to oak tree when all of a sudden he was smacke din the head by a lion knocking his shotgun 20 feet from him his brother was 20 yards away and only heard clatter saw no lion. Fish and game hemmed and hawed trying to call it a misunderstanding and not a human attack. He had to get 40 stiches on neck and head and rabies shots. Other one was in COOL another friend and his hunting partner were turkey hunting and had decoy out lion went up to decoy then turned and charger the two hunters who were up against an oak tree 20 yards away they yelled waved and then shot the lion which landed in his lap dead. Fish and Game accused him of shooting lion illegaly all kinds a grief until autopsy revealed that the wad of the 12 gage was a foot inside th lions chest and would have to have been shot at 0 to 3 feet for that to happen. Needless to say I am very aware and carefull hunting turkeys now.

List of Mountain Lion Attacks On People in California

first recorded was a bit before 1990's.....

homestead-hunter

Jan 18, 2013
Roswell, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
BH Elite 2200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jaguars natural range is through arizona, but the ranchers killed them off, the are no having problems repopulating due to border activities, lots caught on border cams coming back north.

cazisme

Aug 6, 2012
Motherload
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kuger,

I guess they didnt count my cousins husband when he get swatted in Yuba County he is not on your list. He was physically clawed. He was before the jogger lady who got eaten in El Dorado County . The other one I suppose since it was only running straight at the people and never got to bite or claw is not an attack, that was in sometime early 2000-2003 If I recall correctly. As we all know you can bend statistics anyway you want but in my book I would consider both attacks.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kuger,

I guess they didnt count my cousins husband when he get swatted in Yuba County he is not on your list. He was physically clawed. He was before the jogger lady who got eaten in El Dorado County . The other one I suppose since it was only running straight at the people and never got to bite or claw is not an attack, that was in sometime early 2000-2003 If I recall correctly. As we all know you can bend statistics anyway you want but in my book I would consider both attacks.
Caz....thats not what I was pointing out....you stated that your friends attack in "90",was one of the first recorded in Cali......I was pointing out that is not true....yes,I just quick grabbed the first link that popped up on google....I knew the answer,but didnt have the time to look further.I dont know how much more fact you want?Attacks have been recorded into the 1800's...gurantee you...I did Lion work for a living...privatly,proffessionally and for the Gov.......I have worked several attacks......I know the particulars of all attacks and fatalities within the last 50 years and have studied all that have been documented in Calif and else where since records were first kept.I can also tell you that yes there are quite a few attacks that were averted because we were allowed to remove the cat while it was still just a threat....new regulation has just been passed down that basically now an actual attack will have to take place before the cat can be killed......mark my works you will see the fatality rate rise in calif

Last edited:

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jaguars natural range is through arizona, but the ranchers killed them off, the are no having problems repopulating due to border activities, lots caught on border cams coming back north.
.they are having problems repopulating because a female has not been documented in the US since 1962

cazisme

Aug 6, 2012
Motherload
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kuger,

I 100% agree with you. I was under the assumption that Barbara Schoener the jogger lady was eaten , I guess she was on the Placer county side of the canyon. I guess (fish and wildlife now) musta got allotta crap about the pictures of the dead lions stacked like cordwood on pallets behind fish and games lab off of Sunrise and the Dam so now they are being even more bent towards protecting the Wildlife. Its all ok though becouse the guy who is head of the Mountain Lion foundation gets paid about $500,000 a year and get lots of donations cause they look so cuddly.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread