THIS SOUNDS SERIOUS! YIKES!!

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well hopefully they are working with incomplete data because there are more dead than “recovered”.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I did the math. Patient Zero releases a new bug, making 11,000 people sick in 11 days. If each of those are as successful, 11,000 times 11,000, in 11 days there should be 121 million total cases. Another 11 days...1.331 Trillion. Nah, that math doesn't work.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I read 3 pages of this post, and now it's at 5.

I'm very isolated up the holler here. But it could possibly reach to my local town, the county seat - thus there would be some traffic from other areas.

Guess I've got hit the grocery store tomorrow (before it reaches my town).

I think epidemics like this may demonstrate another benefit - this time, a health benefit, to the rural isolation you've described in your posts.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope the rest of you have had an easier time shaking that disturbing image posted by Sanman yesterday of "Chinese woman eating a bat goes viral". Some things are just wrong.

Yang Hao

Feb 23, 2015
Haerbin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone. Wish you all are healthy and safe. Wearing a mask that is N95 is best. Wash your hands often. Don’t touch your face mouth nose eyes as that is main way a virus enters your body. I check my temperature during the day and try to avoid crowded areas. Also I have the habit to wash my hands right after I get home. I also have the hand sanitizer bottle in my pocket. Check expiry dates on cleaning products. I had to buy new hand sanitizer because my older bottle expired. Take care all.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I did the math. Patient Zero releases a new bug, making 11,000 people sick in 11 days. If each of those are as successful, 11,000 times 11,000, in 11 days there should be 121 million total cases. Another 11 days...1.331 Trillion. Nah, that math doesn't work.

To make that work, we better reproduce fast

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I’ll get started

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
update: On Saturday my wife asked me to go to the hardware store and buy N95 masks. I thought maybe she forgot when her order was cancelled. She's resourceful though. I was metal detecting and said I'd do it that afternoon. That afternoon they made an announcement that Corona was now in the Boston area from a college student. Well so much for putting that one off. So I drove to get the masks wondering if we'll need to use them. The city is the worst place to live for epidemics. Hope everyone is safe out there.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
46e8dc1ec7432faf66868467bca4ac52.jpg

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
update: On Saturday my wife asked me to go to the hardware store and buy N95 masks. I thought maybe she forgot when her order was cancelled. She's resourceful though. I was metal detecting and said I'd do it that afternoon. That afternoon they made an announcement that Corona was now in the Boston area from a college student. Well so much for putting that one off. So I drove to get the masks wondering if we'll need to use them. The city is the worst place to live for epidemics. Hope everyone is safe out there.

I could be wrong, but I don't think the N95 stops viruses. The CDC actually recommends that people don't use masks. I don't know if that is because most common masks don't stop viruses, or if it is about a false sense of security with masks or observations that most users don't get a decent seal or handle the used mask improperly by touching the front (- where any viruses could be, for example). I've seen a few people wearing masks and they did not have good seals.

The N95 masks can be useful to have around the house - for sanding drywall, dust, pollen, etc. but I am doubtful about protection from viruses.

Hubbard

Oct 28, 2017
TN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I am not mistaken, more people have died this year in the US from the flu than coronavirus.

Heart Disease and Cancer are the leading causes of death.

So, yes, take reasonable precaution like other potentially serious transmittable diseases but let's not over-react.

Good health and good cheer to all.

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
Hubbard, How can you compare the flu to this when this virus is just getting started in spreading? Deaths per thousand exposed are quite high with the coronavirus and China does not react this way to the flu let alone hurry to build hospitals to address it. I'm not saying to panic, but the flu doesn't compare to this.

Hubbard

Oct 28, 2017
TN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hubbard, How can you compare the flu to this when this virus is just getting started in spreading? Deaths per thousand exposed are quite high with the coronavirus and China does not react this way to the flu let alone hurry to build hospitals to address it. I'm not saying to panic, but the flu doesn't compare to this.

I believe this is a flu-like virus.

We are early into the process and I do not have great confidence in any of the numbers, so, it is too early to draw drastic conclusions.

Experience has proven that other recent disease outbreaks have been well contained in the US.

My previous comments, as are these, are to put this into reasonable context.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When this gets a foothold in Africa, and South America, we will be talking millions of infections.

Hubbard

Oct 28, 2017
TN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"When this gets a foothold in Africa, and South America, we will be talking millions of infections."

What are your thoughts on "when" that will be and why those high number of infections?

Last edited:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Anyone recall the Ebola scare? It never got anywhere near as bad as hyped

Top Member Reactions