This Weeks Treasures... The 60s were good to me.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This Weeks Treasures... The 60's were good to me.

Most of my finds for the day came from the first sale I hit. It was less than a mile from my house and started at 6:30 am and I was there at 6:15, first on the scene for once. It was listed as a "Garage sale...Whole house contents". I did a little background investigation and found out that the person just bought the house in July and she was only 36 years old. The previous owner was listed as deceased in Oct. 2011. This led me to believe that she may have bought the house with the contents still in it. I was right.
I don't live in a rich neighborhood so there wasn't any Tiffany, Steuben or Lalique there, but I did find a few nice items that are not your everyday finds (i.e.- unusual). First thing I spied was the Sputnik Barometer/thermometer/hydrometer first, it looked unusual and very cool so I grabbed it up. Found out later what it actually was. Then I seen a tray of "costume" jewelry on the table, along with the glass that has the weighted sterling base. I spotted a couple pieces of sterling in the pile of tangled crap necklaces and other assorted junk in the tray. By this time (3 minutes after my arrival) 2 more people had shown up. So instead of trying to cherrypick the jewelry, I asked how much for the whole tray, $10... sold!
There were a few old bottles in the corner of the garage, the best one I found is actually a decanter, Etched George III. I don't know too much about it yet. I've found one that sold for $60 or something. It was listed as a 19th century decanter, so i'll post it on the bottles and glass section and get some more opinions as to the age. I found the Aluminum Christmas tree on the front lawn, nice score for $5, very collectible. I bought the yellow ware pitcher because I have a thing for old pottery (and glass). Last but not least (don't laugh, see eBay completed listings) was a new unopened Sensa weight loss system starter kit and month 2 to go with it. For $1 I couldn't go wrong. I bought some other junk there too but this was the best stuff. Sorry to be long winded, here's the pics-

Vintage Sputnik barometer
DSC01471.jpg

Sterling and 1 small 10k unicorn pin finds-
DSC01493.jpg DSC01494.jpg

George III Decanter, got to figure out how to remove a stuck cork without damaging the top!
DSC01472.jpg

Aluminum Christmas tree- box is rough but the tree is all good.
DSC01479.jpg DSC01480.jpg

Yellow ware pitcher
DSC01486.jpg

And last but not least...
DSC01487.jpg

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice finds. Won't catch me laughing at the Sensa. I bought some for 5 bucks, nearly expired and did quite well with it. Good eye.
I couldn't find an expiration date so I opened them up. It's good till Jan.19, 2013. I guess I better sell it pretty quick, lol. Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I already lost 84 pounds by just changing my diet/eating habits so I don't need it.

tngirl

Mar 16, 2012
N. Middle Tennessee
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x & 1280 Aquanaut, White's XLT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That decanter is a nice piece. Do you see much Early American pattern glass / flint glass in your area?

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice pick there dig. I haven't been out lately, need to sell some of the hoard I've accumulated. If I found stuff as good as what you get I'd be steady at ebay.

Catobra

Jun 21, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites IDX Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love the pitcher and the tree was a major score!

frankendime

Mar 8, 2012
Middle Tn
Primary Interest:
Other
Thems nice picks. That is what I like about garage saleing. You see it, not sure what it is, but it is appealing to you and it will be appealing to someone else. You can buy it at a price that is affordable enough to take a chance. Then find out later you done real good. Love it!
Just a thought: You might try freezing that bottle to shrink that cork up and possibly removing it. :icon_thumleft:

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice stuff !
When I was a little kid my parents bought some inflatable weight loss pants . It was hilarious watching them walk around the house in them . I'll never forget the loud squeaking noise .

Attachments

• inflatable hot pants pic.jpg
    inflatable hot pants pic.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 432

AC1955

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
New Hampshire & Maine
Detector(s) used
V3i, Excalibur II, White's M6, Coinmaster, Teknetics EurotekPro, White's Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love garage sales! Really nice finds. I especially like the bottle and the Sputnik.

hh,
Anita

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Finds! I really like the sterling bottles and the christmas tree! Reminds me of my grandmas at Christmas time! Also, the Native American turquois pendant is pretty cool and the vintage stuff seems to be very popular right now. Especially if signed by maker... Nice!!

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Finds! I really like the sterling bottles and the christmas tree! Reminds me of my grandmas at Christmas time! Also, the Native American turquois pendant is pretty cool and the vintage stuff seems to be very popular right now. Especially if signed by maker... Nice!!
Thanks. The sterling perfume bottles are vintage Taxco, one has a missing cap. The pendant isn't "artist" signed, just 925. The Christmas tree will be listed in late Oct or early Nov., I figure it will sell the best then. I wish I had the color light wheel to go with it. My mom had one of these when we were kids.

I appreciate all the comments from everyone else, thanks.

I disassembled the sputnik and cleaned the lucite ball. I found a couple small stress cracks from someone tightening the pieces too much. That'll cut the value in half, but I only paid pennies on the dollar so it's all good.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We had the aluminum tree and color wheel when I was a kid back in the sixties. Nostalgia sells :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread