Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Those Who Believe The Lost Dutchman's Mine Is In The Superstition Mountains

i dont believe its in the supers ...

I know it is ...

St. Jerome

Feb 21, 2005

I dont believe it. maybe there is a mine or two for sure and jacob walts new it... But I think it is a poker hand of legends and the wild card is still in the deck. Somewhere between four peaks and a big nose native with a frying pan somewhere in the mix.

Loke

Mar 24, 2010
Republic of Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Just to make it abundantly clear:
This topic has absolutely NOTHING to do with me!

Per

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

HIO LOKE, you posted -->This topic has absolutely NOTHING to do with me!
"does too, does too,
it definitely refers to you.

You can squirm and wriggle
but from me, you only get a giggle.

Hwever, you may still regain your crown
if.n you can show me El Dutchamn, without a frown

To every man comes the chance of a lifetime to open the eyes of the world,
if only he would take life by the horns, and enter on the campaign to prove the word.

Don Jose de La Mancha (retiring to his meditative cave at the end of the road, where you 'can't find him' - maps freely given to lovely females)

dustcap

Apr 1, 2003
Phoenix, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo, Minelab Sovereign XS 2 Pro and Fisher 2 box
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

bump!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
There surely must be others who either believe or not believe that the Lost Dutchman Mine is or is not in the Superstitions... waiting to hear from you.

You can put me down as a believer that it is and like so many others have a notion as to where it is. The proof being gold in the hand, of course. I will make another attempt to locate it this spring as long as I can still hike into the area I believe it to be.

I put my belief in the clues attributed to Jacob Waltz, all of which I have an answer or solution. AGAIN I say the proof is the gold in hand...

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

dustcap said:
There surely must be others who either believe or not believe that the Lost Dutchman Mine is or is not in the Superstitions... waiting to hear from you.

You can put me down as a believer that it is and like so many others have a notion as to where it is. The proof being gold in the hand, of course. I will make another attempt to locate it this spring as long as I can still hike into the area I believe it to be.

I put my belief in the clues attributed to Jacob Waltz, all of which I have an answer or solution. AGAIN I say the proof is the gold in hand...

I keep meaning to take a hike in with you one of these days Ken - the days keep flying by this fast and I'll never get the chance. How bout this next October?

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona

Per said:
"But it's in there. There's no doubt in my mind it's in there." Quoted by Bob Corbin former Arizona Attorney General "No doubt" Bob Corbin believes

You might want to ask Bob what his opinion is these days. It may have changed a bit.

Joe Ribaudo

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona

Paul,

"I keep meaning to take a hike in with you one of these days Ken - the days keep flying by this fast and I'll never get the chance. How bout this next October?"

IMHO, there aren't many better folks you could pick to go into the mountains with than Ken.

It's all about trust.

Take care,

Joe

coazon de oro

Bronze Member
May 7, 2010
texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Of course it's there, it's even set in stone!

Can switching to Geico really save you 15% ?

Homar

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS

coazon de oro said:

Homar

No. Last time I checked, it would have cost me +50% above State Farm.

coazon de oro

Bronze Member
May 7, 2010
texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Springfield said:
coazon de oro said:

Homar

No. Last time I checked, it would have cost me +50% above State Farm.
So I've been taken by a lizard! :angry5:

I know the Dutchman was no lizard.

Homar

BangTango

Feb 24, 2009

its always, next month, yea. Does anyone ever really go?

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

BangTango said:

If I lived in the area, I'd be out there at least every other weekend. Considering I live ~2700 miles away, it's just a little difficult to explore the Superstitions more than once a year for me :)

Loke

Mar 24, 2010
Republic of Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Cubfan64 said:
BangTango said:

If I lived in the area, I'd be out there at least every other weekend. Considering I live ~2700 miles away, it's just a little difficult to explore the Superstitions more than once a year for me :)

What?? Do you honestly mean to say you prefer 'boots on the ground' rather than google-earth?? *shocked*

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Loke said:
Cubfan64 said:
BangTango said:

What?? Do you honestly mean to say you prefer 'boots on the ground' rather than google-earth?? *shocked*

;D

Heck, as far away as YOU are from the Superstitions, you don't really have much choice other than Google Earth do you - hehe.

Loke

Mar 24, 2010
Republic of Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

*lol* So true, so true!
However, I am determined to at least equal (but not to surpass) your physical efforts - ie. once/year!!
Mind you - seeing I'm only half as far away - I really ought to do it twice as much ... but I think I'll settle for equal ...

Mar 25, 2012
Central Coast California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I believe that: there are some pretty interesting things going on up in those mountains, murders, secret gunman, secret symbols, hidden hideouts, old Spanish trails, lost maps, intrigue, lies, truth, and much more. Too much spooky stuff not to be a mine full of gold! If there isnt allot of men died looking for it for nothing.

Padre of Lakeland

Tenderfoot
Apr 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back through the mid '60s (we moved to Phoenix in 1959 to a house on Glen Dr. about a mile off the West side of Squaw Peak) my father started looking for the Dutchman's gold. He got started from panning dust out of our backyard dirt (Phoenix irrigation comes from the Salt River which flowed into two major canals {one of them close by the house} originally used by the Navajoes before they were pushed out.) which led him to the Legend. For about 5 years (weekends, holidays & summer vacation) my dad, mom, sister and I crawled canyons, mesas and everything in-between in the Superstitions.

It was towards the end of that five year period that we found a mining pan and remains of a smelter in a small cleft/cave about 8' deep (maybe remains of a seam?) on the south side of a Mesa, which my dad sent to the San Diego Museum for authentication. They both identified these as being Spanish in origin, dated around the mid-1500s; along with a thank you for our "donation". [He was not happy about that and sent letters which were not answered.] They were in a display case when we visited California a year or so later.

We always entered the area by way of the Apache Trail, turning off on a small dirt track where hunter's (deer and javelina) often parked and the mesa was a fair walk from there; from the North end of the mesa in the canyon on the west side from where the artifacts were found you could see the Salt River (the west side had a hollow in the cliff about mid-way {just above the scree}, I remember that because I was the first to reach it and there was a ledge therein with about 8 or so Diamondbacks "resting" on it, my mom freaked out): from the top of the same end you could make out the dam. The cave/cleft was on the South (lots of Cholla cactus on East side canyon) end of the Mesa, east side canyon, where the scree met the mountain. From the top of the South end was the markers my Dad said matched his "research" and pointed into the canyon now covered by the Lake. This find (the "markers") was the end of the 5 years of hunting which was based upon his examination of materials available (published materials pre-1966), talks with locals in Apache Junction, and confirmation with our "boots on the ground". While a great deal of the "search" was just us, I do recall multiple times when others went out with us*.

(*Note: Friends of my folks, I remember that one of them owned and flew a gyro-copter. The reason I remember that {and is partially relevant} was, on a visit to his home while the adults were inside and the kids were banished to the outside, I found a chunk of white quartz around an inch or so in his locally crushed, rock driveway, with a spider vein of gold in it which I used as an excuse to go inside {Phoenix in the summer}. This in turn produced six adults on their hands and knees in the driveway for the rest of the day, where one other piece was found about the same size. Mixed rock, not all quartz.)

I'll probably remember more when I review more of the Dutchman's material because we started when I was about 7 yrs old. [What I've added here to my original post is about the extent of what I remember relevant to this topic.]

Has anyone else heard of that particular site/location?

Last edited:

alfonzo

Greenie
Mar 22, 2010
Meadview, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro ST, Gold Bug Pro, Garrett CSI 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone else heard of that particular site/location?

Yes most who have been in the area know this location, but maybe not the info you have given.
Very interesting, and thank you for this. Just below the Mesa to the west near the ledge looking down on the river, there is a small cross painted in white on a boulder, not sure what it signifies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions