Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bomber said:
but its says repulique franciase,on the back 1992 5 francs,looks silver.anybody?worth keeping?

That is an obsolete coin, they are all on Euros now >:(

But on the bright side it is/was worth .99cents ($1 = 5fr)

tw656

Jan 13, 2007
As far as foreign coins, identifing, determining their worth and amount of silver in them, if any, is the following site:

http://worldcoingallery.com/index.htm

It has not failed me yet, and I have a come across a couple of hundred foriegn coins... only a few Ive found have silver in them.

Searcher

killerwine

Feb 24, 2005
Visalia, CA
I've done very well with foreign coins finding silver...So many of them look like they are silver and are not that they end up in the "foreign coins" bin. Usually for 50 cents or less. I think a lot of dealers are busy and don't take the time to look them up. I keep a current Red Book, Photo Guide, and a World Coin book in my truck. Treasure is where you find it and knowledge is the greatest treasure that you can use to find treasure... ;)

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tw656 said:
As far as foreign coins, identifing, determining their worth and amount of silver in them, if any, is the following site:

http://worldcoingallery.com/index.htm

It has not failed me yet, and I have a come across a couple of hundred foriegn coins... only a few Ive found have silver in them.

Searcher

Although I won't argue that the site is good, there are holes in its list and pictures. I was trying to identify a coin for someone under the coins area of this site. I was using a World Coin Book from the library. It was very clearly a particular issue was "relatively" valuable ($50?). Someone else used the site listed above and ID'd the coin differently due to no picture and a missing listing of another alternative. The one listed was a common ($1-$2) coin.

Same year, country and everything else. Without the picture it was impossible to know that the coin had been identified wrong. Anyways, just a warning that it is not complete.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread