rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this one and thought it was an odd shape. I didnt post it because I thought another rock. I kept is cause the shape was different. I was told it was a Hammer Stone and was told not all had the dimple in the top probably due to the type of stone it is made from it just didnt last as long as they wanted it to. Another add to my collection.

Attachments

• 100_3380.JPG
    100_3380.JPG
    325.3 KB · Views: 147
  • 100_3383.JPG
    100_3383.JPG
    273.8 KB · Views: 127
  • 100_3381.JPG
    100_3381.JPG
    379.5 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
Upvote 0

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
That's the call I made earlier, pecking stone. What do you think about the last pic posted? It looks to fit the mold.

I don't see anything that screams artifact in that piece. I do see the type of piece that COULD have been used in conjunction with a pecking stone in making grooves in stone. I think after the pecking, they needed to do some grinding, and I noticed at least in my grooved pieces how close to even the depth and width of the grooves usually are. There weren't to many ways to make a decent groove back in the stone age, and a good hard natural rock in the shape of your desired groove would likely have come in very handy.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i am thinking it should be banner by now it has been talked into the ground. ( no offense rock I posted too) But I need to post a pebble and see what happens.

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
i am thinking it should be banner by now it has been talked into the ground. ( no offense rock I posted too) But I need to post a pebble and see what happens.

well it is certainly not banner worthy imho. the point of it all is to learn something. There was a lot to learn. Now, the bigger Q. what have we learned? Anything?

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alot more was learned on this thread than if the first responce... correct or not was taken then the subject dropped.
Alot of folks who had no idea what a discoidal or a pecking stone was have an understanding now... AGREE? It's all about learning right?
Not who is correct or not..that is up to the individual after hopefully an abundance of information was put forth.
To simply say.. that's what it is... and not offer alternative views and info as to why it is or isn't ... different logical guesses.
Is not really a big service when it comes to learning.

Last edited:

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
I had no idea what it was. I didn't even know to look for anything besides flaked points, lol. Thanks.

I was like you for the majority of my life. It is far simpler to stick with points. The real hard stones will throw themselves at you, if you cross them. By straying from points, I wound up with tons of rocks, nothing more. Smart for staying with points, in my opinion!

alaldrid

Apr 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a possible discodial I posted a few months ago and got some good info from members on this forum. Could also be a hammerstone. Rowan co NC

Cool find rock.

Side view.jpg
Front.jpg

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Nice!!

Now that one looks more like a rough or unfinished discoidal. Nothing about it says hammer stone to me though.

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well the one I posted is not the rite type for pecking or used as a hammer. Its texture is not hard enough to be that type of artifact. Hit it hard enough and I believe it would break before it made a grove on any type of hard stone. I have a pecking stone in my collection and I will post it. I believe mine in the first post is a preform but for what I couldnt say for sure. I found it in a field where they have plowed so the sides might be plow damage and not hammer damage. Here is the pecking stone. This one is a quartz cobble and fits the profile of a Hammer.

Attachments

• 100_3252.JPG
    100_3252.JPG
    374.8 KB · Views: 76
  • 100_3253.JPG
    100_3253.JPG
    307.6 KB · Views: 59
  • 100_3254.JPG
    100_3254.JPG
    339.3 KB · Views: 71

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Well the one I posted is not the rite type for pecking or used as a hammer. Its texture is not hard enough to be that type of artifact. Hit it hard enough and I believe it would break before it made a grove on any type of hard stone. I have a pecking stone in my collection and I will post it. I believe mine in the first post is a preform but for what I couldnt say for sure. I found it in a field where they have plowed so the sides might be plow damage and not hammer damage. Here is the pecking stone. This one is a quartz cobble and fits the profile of a Hammer.

Now there is a great example of what I was talking about. Ignore the evidence (chipping all around the edge) and it's hope it's something it isn't. Pecking stone to discoidal preform takes a magnificent stretch of the imagination with that piece.

Rock, no plow chipped that thing around the edge only. Trust me, if you will start looking at what the evidence on your rocks say, instead of trusting in what others think, you will have an easier time seeing and understanding what really is. And the only thing for sure about the workmanship of that rocks is, it is banged up all the way around the edge. There are all types sizes and shapes of hammering stones, have you googled pecking stone yet?

I noticed somebody hasn't put up any pics of googled pecking stones yet. Maybe I will later so you can see how often they look like your rock.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now there is a great example of what I was talking about. Ignore the evidence (chipping all around the edge) and it's hope it's something it isn't. Pecking stone to discoidal preform takes a magnificent stretch of the imagination with that piece.

Rock, no plow chipped that thing around the edge only. Trust me, if you will start looking at what the evidence on your rocks say, instead of trusting in what others think, you will have an easier time seeing and understanding what really is. And the only thing for sure about the workmanship of that rocks is, it is banged up all the way around the edge. There are all types sizes and shapes of hammering stones, have you googled pecking stone yet?

I noticed somebody hasn't put up any pics of googled pecking stones yet. Maybe I will later so you can see how often they look like your rock.

You are so full of yourself.... there you go ignoring what's told to you in order to inject your view...
The man said it was not hard material and not the material used as hammer or pecking stones in his area.
The reason I haven't posted examples is because I don't need to.
I put the info out there... these kind folks do happen to intelligently think on their own contrary to what your inferring with your condescending type "A" statements in your last few responces.
This is where you and I ..quito.. take different roads.
We have all seen the path you take at this point and that's not why we take part in this forum.
Good luck... and God bless.
It's alright ..today is only the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like how 1 person steps in and then dismisses the whole thing like its just another rock. If you read what I wrote you will see I said it was a preform of something I am not saying a disc. The Disc I have found are completely round this one is round but not perfect. That is why I am calling it a preform. They didnt make mistakes on the size and shapes they formed. I measure the altered rocks I find and it is no mistake when they are perfect in shape. This one is 3L x 3.5W and 1 inch thick. I will put it under a mystery stone. You can see how it was pecked and shaped but never finished. I am no expert and am finished responding to this. Just let it drift away. Thanks to everyone that has responded with their knowledge. HH, everyone

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
"This one is 3L x 3.5W and 1 inch thick."

Pretty thin imo for a preform for most round things I can think of.

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
"This one is 3L x 3.5W and 1 inch thick."

Pretty thin imo for a preform for most round things I can think of.

I have seen Mano stones worn down to about an inch, maybe a tad less. They were probably discarded at that though.

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
I have seen Mano stones worn down to about an inch, maybe a tad less. They were probably discarded at that though.

Yeah I have one about that thin too that is rectangular. But a worn down mano is not preform. And correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't mano's mainly formed through use? Those found around here are almost always just utilized natural stones.

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
Yeah I have one about that thin too that is rectangular. But a worn down mano is not preform. And correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't mano's mainly formed through use? Those found around here are almost always just utilized natural stones.

According to what I've seen and read, you are correct. The preform stuff, I stray from because I know little about it.

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
According to what I've seen and read, you are correct. The preform stuff, I stray from because I know little about it.

Many relics in preform are easily identifiable, if not, well it's just speculation. I have a few preform points, and a preform celt, but that's about all I can identify as preform out of the many mystery rocks I haul home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread