Nov 10, 2010
Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tonight I went to a friends place, large old property. In the past I have found Indians/Mercs/jewelry there in the past. Well, as soon as I got there the first coin I dug was the silver nickel.

You know when how you dig a cool target you instantly say something like "sweet, a Merc!" or "A Barber, yeah baby!". Well, as soon as I knew what it was, my knee jerk reaction without thinking was "oh man, it's an OD nickel!". As soon as I heard myself say it I paused, and then I started laughing. Anybody watching me would think I was crazy.

I think we all have something we want so badly to dig, simply because we haven't yet. Out of all the things Old Dude has dug, why not a humble "war nickel"?

For me it's the elusive Walking Half. I have dug 4 Barber halves, a Morgan, SLQs, Vickies, Barber quarters and dimes, fishscales....the list goes on and on...but I can't seem to find a Walker to save my life. When I see people post them it makes me happy for them, but makes me jealous haha! ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1436157728.062578.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1436157755.363939.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1436157771.349670.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1436157790.181525.jpg

(The Button, bracelet, and 18 pennies were dug yesterday at a different location.)

Upvote 13

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
At least you got that Morgan $ coin, some of us are still seeking that one ! Nice Greenie nickel there and love that button, looks like a knock out hunt to me ! Had a super clad hunt yesterday but any Silver always beats quantity for me !

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ah man, poor dave, this isn't gonna die down anytime soon lol!!!!

Great Finds JC!!

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Everyone shows nice OD nickels but I'm glad to see one like most of mine come out. Grimy!

My "elusive" coin is a state copper...any state copper! I have found dozens of KG's and coins in that range but never a state copper. Every time I see a green disk in the ground I pray to the copper gods it's a state coin...and if it's not, a 1793...

Anyways...I digress...

Congrats!

Steve

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well done on the OD Nickel and all the best on the pursuit in getting the Walker.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on the nice hunt... and the finding the OD nickel.

GL on finding the Walker! It will appear one of these days.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like you had a great day fishing (58 targets not counting the trash). :occasion14: I also think of OD when I dig a silver war nickle. :tongue3: Pulled 3 from one property in June. All liberty's are still on my bucket list. From what I know of the area is that there were many detectorist back in the 70's in this town. This is why large silvers are very scarce for me A guy pulled over the other day while I was at the "Brick House" He was telling me that he and his buddy detected that yard back in 1974. I am very thankful that the 1812 5 frank was 10" deep, too deep for the old detectors.

OP
OP
Gridwalker306

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the OD nickel and good luck getting that Walker crossed off the list.

Thanks Ron, I know there's got to be one out there somewhere!

OP
OP
Gridwalker306

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At least you got that Morgan $ coin, some of us are still seeking that one ! Nice Greenie nickel there and love that button, looks like a knock out hunt to me ! Had a super clad hunt yesterday but any Silver always beats quantity for me !

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk

Yep, only 35% silver but I'll gladly add it to the silver pile!!

toadspaghetti

Dec 19, 2014
Sturgeon Lake, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The WLH's are jumping out at me this year. I dug up my 4th one for the year yesterday. No key dates but a nice run... 1941-44. If I dig a 1940 does that count as a straight flush?

OP
OP
Gridwalker306

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everyone shows nice OD nickels but I'm glad to see one like most of mine come out. Grimy!

My "elusive" coin is a state copper...any state copper! I have found dozens of KG's and coins in that range but never a state copper. Every time I see a green disk in the ground I pray to the copper gods it's a state coin...and if it's not, a 1793...

Anyways...I digress...

Congrats!

Steve

I know, it's so weird how sometimes it seems impossible to find something that should be relatively easy to find! God luck with the state copper.

OP
OP
Gridwalker306

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the nice hunt... and the finding the OD nickel.

GL on finding the Walker! It will appear one of these days.

Thanks Tom, I'm going to keep trying...

OP
OP
Gridwalker306

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you had a great day fishing (58 targets not counting the trash). :occasion14: I also think of OD when I dig a silver war nickle. :tongue3: Pulled 3 from one property in June. All liberty's are still on my bucket list. From what I know of the area is that there were many detectorist back in the 70's in this town. This is why large silvers are very scarce for me A guy pulled over the other day while I was at the "Brick House" He was telling me that he and his buddy detected that yard back in 1974. I am very thankful that the 1812 5 frank was 10" deep, too deep for the old detectors.

I can't imagine how good it must have been to detect back in the early 1970's. Every yard would have been full, and silver would have been plentiful.

Thank god we have detectors these days that can pick the deep goods out of the junk!

OP
OP
Gridwalker306

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The WLH's are jumping out at me this year. I dug up my 4th one for the year yesterday. No key dates but a nice run... 1941-44. If I dig a 1940 does that count as a straight flush?

Wow toad, that is quite the pile of Walkers!

The Aluminum Monster

Mar 18, 2015
New Bedford, MA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro, Tesoro Mojave, Garrett AT Pro, 5x8 DD, 15" NEL Attack, Garrett Pro-pointer, Pro Series 5x9 sand scoop, 30" Royal Compact sluice, 36" Bazooka Gold Trap, Gold Cube.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love those OD nickels!

Good luck on the Walker! I must admit, I have a few, but for me, anything seated doesn't seem to exist in my world. I completely understand the feeling.

Aaaaaaannnnnnnndddddddd that's why we keep on swinging!

Happy hunting

-Jay

OP
OP
Gridwalker306

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love those OD nickels!

Good luck on the Walker! I must admit, I have a few, but for me, anything seated doesn't seem to exist in my world. I completely understand the feeling.

Aaaaaaannnnnnnndddddddd that's why we keep on swinging!

Happy hunting

-Jay

It's crazy, I have even dug a seated (it's so smooth it's hardly recognizable, but it still counts lol). But you're right my friend, it's the reason we keep swinging, you never know what's in the next hole!

Check out this slug haha: ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1436222954.857911.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1436223009.546229.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions