mk4125

Jul 9, 2015
Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett/AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I headed along the Lake Michigan bluff in search for some Native American artifacts. The hunt was going slow. I found a lot of bullets, shell casings, bottle caps and was about to call it a day and THEN hit a perfect 86 signal a foot down. A hit like that rarely comes through my AT Pro headphones...I found myself going over it from various angles just to make sure it wasn't a blasted 22 shell or something stupid. Nope. 86. No rust. 86. Copper. It had to be copper.

Now a foot down is not typically a problem say..at the beach. I the dense wooded bluffs it's a problem. I had to make a hole big enough for a hot tub. I had to hack away a zillion roots. The disappointing part was that my pinpointer wasn't even picking it up yet! More hacking. More swearing. 30 minutes later she sees the light of day again. IMG_20180929_194729.jpg IMG_20180929_194757.jpg

Upvote 37

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good job getting all those really old relicd

Greastart

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2014
Far North Corner of CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro and a Garrett Carrot
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
That's a great find!

Now, don't take offense at this, it's simply an observation and in no way is meant as criticism. Using a dime for scale is awesome. But why'd ya have to go an' monkey up the photo with a CLAD dime? Ya coulda at least thrown some ol' Roosey up there!

Mostly I'm jokin'. Just how my crazy head works.

Again, an awesome find! Probably banner worthy but I don't know nuffin! Shoot, I'm still a rookie with only one Merc under my belt. Congratz

hunting deer

Jul 21, 2010
Indiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That far down in undisturbed ground. I'd be excited too. Old copper plus found in the Great Lakes region. Looks old!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
M

mk4125

Jul 9, 2015
Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett/AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_20180930_071012_01.jpg . The copper items found over the last 20 years.

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a great find and your box of copper finds is impressive too! I've read that some folks believe that the Etruscans came to the great lakes to mine copper. That's a wild notion but who can say.
I'm saying banner also!

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1637626 . The copper items found over the last 20 years.

Whoooo-eeee. Those are some nice finds. Congratulations.

Especially like the knife blade with the ring on the handle (even though it didn't keep the original owner from losing it.
That fishhook with the offset shank for attaching to the "line" is so well made and uniform.

Last edited:

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find! If I had my way I'd focus specifically on hunting for OCC artifacts, in my opinion they are by far the most interesting metal artifacts to be found in this whole continent.

Love that rare socketed knife in the case BTW, it may take years but I'll get me one of them some way or another!

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That’s a great find

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's things like that that cause me to wonder about the last person who held it before being found by you, it's another one of those, "If only it could talk and tell it's story" type of thing.

mcmich

Mar 2, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Minelab Equinox 800, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Great find (s). I did not know that copper artifacts, in any quantity like you have collected, could be found in the lower. Thought most were had in the upper. I have always wanted to take a detecting trip up to the U.P. for a try. Those finds are the real deal. Nice work!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the fantastic piece of history! :occasion14:

mlutz

Dec 20, 2016
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow that is a really great find. If it is as old as you think it may be I would vote banner as well!

OP
OP
M

mk4125

Jul 9, 2015
Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett/AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find (s). I did not know that copper artifacts, in any quantity like you have collected, could be found in the lower. Thought most were had in the upper. I have always wanted to take a detecting trip up to the U.P. for a try. Those finds are the real deal. Nice work!

I have found on the NW side and the NE side (many pieces Northern Presque Isle county. The ground where I find seems to be consistent no matter which side. Look for rocks and then look for eroded areas.

mcmich

Mar 2, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Minelab Equinox 800, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Never been up to that area, looking at the map its very remote. Thanks for the tips!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread