Three civil war pipes and two buttons found in the same hole

fifty8cal

Greenie
Nov 15, 2009
Too cold to go civil war hunting,NEVER.This is the finds I made monday,three civil war pipes and two eagle buttons in the same hole.Me and Joe took off to a good civil war site we have been many times but always find something good there early in the morning.we stay there for about 4 hours and we both had a few good relics from bullets,4 buttons and a real nice watch fob(Joe found that one).The bug was getting strong so we wanted to try out a new spot and left to try it out.We went and look at it and made plans to try it another day,but we still needed to hunt somewhere for a hour before the sun went down so we pick a spot were they done a little dirt work.when we got there,we could tell it wasnt going to take very long to hunt this spot so we took off hunting.My first target was a good button reading on my meter so I started to dig 1 inch in the ground(there was already 12 inches gone from this spot).To my surprise the first relic to come out of the ground was a red pipe,next to it was a large eagle button and right next to that was another pipe.I took the second pipe out of the ground and laying next to it was another eagle button.2 pipes in the same hole and all in perfect condition,what a day.i started to put back the dirt I dig and there was another pipe in the dirt,three pipes,WHAT A DAY.I went down to show joe and he found a nice french bullet.That was about all that was found there and who know how they werent torn up.So after 30 years of civil war hunting this is my most odd target ive ever got,but I do love odd target

Attachments

• Project1.jpg
    Project1.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 1,216
Upvote 0

Hutch911

May 19, 2008
Linden, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX5000, Whites MXT, Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is a great finds way to go!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
F

fifty8cal

Greenie
Nov 15, 2009
How can I find more information on these three pipes,like where are they from,who made them etc

COOL!
On that white clay pipe, does the bowl have any decorations other than the row of "denticles" around the rim?
Nice finds and WTG!
Dave.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful pipes!!! :hello2: Are they marked in any way?

OP
OP
F

fifty8cal

Greenie
Nov 15, 2009
the white clay pipe has a small circle of a man on the back of the bowl.the red pipe has a smiling sun on it with 8 stars around it

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
Cool find. It looks like the stem of the white pipe has part of the makers name on it. It may have the last part on one side and the first part on the other.

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some nice pipes you found.
It looks like writing to me on the white pipe steam.
roger

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find ! Could you post more photos ? I'd like to see the front of the red one....very cool ! :thumbsup:

Boilermaker27

Oct 16, 2003
St. Louis
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon/Minelab Safari/Minelab Excalibur2
I was there too, it blew my mind. The pipes are really beautiful. By Spring the horses would have crushed the pipes.

SC_Fisher

Greenie
Nov 30, 2009
Wow...those pipes have a lot of character.

Interesting find...always must be thought provoking to wonder who owned them and the hours they enjoyed good smokes on the battlefield or campground.

Regards,

SC_Fisher

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Those are beautiful.

I found a bowl like the red one here in Pa. It was at a old ghost town site. Those three are really nice.

HH Jer

OP
OP
F

fifty8cal

Greenie
Nov 15, 2009
I did find some information on the white pipe.Its a PETER DORNI pipe.They were produced in Netherland in the city of Gouda.The price pipes company produced Peter Dorni pipes between 1835 to 1898.That one come a long way from home to find it way to missouri.Here the site i found information.
www.hartgen.com/FOST/Archeo_pipes.htm
Now to find out about the other two.

Boilermaker27

Oct 16, 2003
St. Louis
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon/Minelab Safari/Minelab Excalibur2
go back; go back?

I was there when he found the pipes. The whole area was bulldozed down about eight inches. The area is behind a barn and there are horses in the small field, it is about half an acre. I found a French triangular minnie. I watched Ted dig in the hole and there is no glass nor charcoal. We figure that since they were all found together that they must have been in some sort of bag. We hunted it hard for over an hour and believe me we are both seasoned relic hunters. Not saying there is nothing else there, we all know that sites are hardly ever cleaned out totally. This area was one of three large Union campsites and we have hammered them. But we did hunt until nothing was left and we pretty well covered the whole area.

We will probably go back and we probably will find a bit more, but not much more.

usmc0351

Jul 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
DFX, XLT, Tejon, Excal 2
my old friend teddy scores again,,,,how many bullets and buttons have we pulled out of that site,,,,and now this,,,,joe with the token, you with that picture,,,,,and now the pipes,,,,,this weekend is coming, am i heading north or are you guys coming south,

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread