Three civil war pipes and two buttons found in the same hole

fifty8cal

Greenie
Nov 15, 2009
Too cold to go civil war hunting,NEVER.This is the finds I made monday,three civil war pipes and two eagle buttons in the same hole.Me and Joe took off to a good civil war site we have been many times but always find something good there early in the morning.we stay there for about 4 hours and we both had a few good relics from bullets,4 buttons and a real nice watch fob(Joe found that one).The bug was getting strong so we wanted to try out a new spot and left to try it out.We went and look at it and made plans to try it another day,but we still needed to hunt somewhere for a hour before the sun went down so we pick a spot were they done a little dirt work.when we got there,we could tell it wasnt going to take very long to hunt this spot so we took off hunting.My first target was a good button reading on my meter so I started to dig 1 inch in the ground(there was already 12 inches gone from this spot).To my surprise the first relic to come out of the ground was a red pipe,next to it was a large eagle button and right next to that was another pipe.I took the second pipe out of the ground and laying next to it was another eagle button.2 pipes in the same hole and all in perfect condition,what a day.i started to put back the dirt I dig and there was another pipe in the dirt,three pipes,WHAT A DAY.I went down to show joe and he found a nice french bullet.That was about all that was found there and who know how they werent torn up.So after 30 years of civil war hunting this is my most odd target ive ever got,but I do love odd target

Attachments

• Project1.jpg
    Project1.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 1,217
Upvote 0

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just incredible looking pipes, way to go. :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
F

fifty8cal

Greenie
Nov 15, 2009
you know me doug.All Joe has to say is lets go hunts some bullets and Im out the door,lol.As far as that site,yes Joe is right on what he saying because being a treasure hunter like I am ,I would go crazy thinking about that small little hole having more stuff in it.But that was all there was.i guess the person buried a small bag of goodies at about 10 inches deep and for some reason he had to leave quickly(that why there are still alot of great lost treasure out there.Friday going to be 50 degree so maybe I can find another great hiding treasure

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Ted, Tim here from down around Spfld. Your correct on the white Peter Dorni pipe. The other two are domestic reed stem pipes. I have dug two recently, one here in SW Mo. and one a few weeks later in Virginia. Both of mine are the domestic reed stem type. I have the book by G. Michael Russell "The Guide To Clay Tobacco Pipes". They are a also referred to as trade pipes, many were produced in England and than shipped back here. I also have several stems and broken end pieces of these trade pipes. I was thrilled when I got a whole one and than another in Virginia. Yours are really nice and in excellent condition. I used to hunt up at Rolla a lot back before my hunting buddy Gail Fowler passed away from cancer in Dec. 2004. Congrats again on your finds!

Attachments

• 10-19-09 finds pipe.jpg
    10-19-09 finds pipe.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 617
  • virginia pipe.jpg
    virginia pipe.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 620

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What an awesome day 4 you 58 !! I love all three pipes ! I would be thrilled 2 find 1 in a day !! But you found 3 pipes, and 2 civilwar buttons in the same Hole!! What an exiting day ! Congrads !!! :headbang: :headbang: :notworthy: :notworthy: !! MaineRelic.

cwlead

Mar 24, 2008
Went with you last saturday hunting, we didn,t set the world afire then, due to the frozen ground but as always when you,Joe and I are together we always have a good day and in addition I got to see your pipes in person. they are orgasmic to see in person. hope to go out with you again before I go back to work next week. Good huntig cwlead

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellant! Is that cool or what! Congrats! :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread