Three mystery pieces Ive picked up over the years.

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
Three mystery pieces I've picked up over the years.

Any comments / opinions on these three pieces are appreciated. The first piece is made of an unknown material to me. It has drill holes? or puncture marks around the entire circumference. It looks fragile and like it could easily break, but is actually quite solid, it was found on a multicomponent site in se Wv.

The second piece to me looks worked to me as well, it has polish in areas and sits flat as a board. The material is limestone like but I'm not really sure. It was found in a creek in sw Va.

Third piece is highly polished, I think it may be creek stained hematite? It has a metallic sheen and it's fairly heavy.

All three of these pieces were found on or near sites but I've never been able to id them with much confidence, what do you think?

Attachments

• phpuTPKiMPM.jpg
    phpuTPKiMPM.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 607
  • phpQO1ATIPM.jpg
    phpQO1ATIPM.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 597
  • phpwjxwetPM.jpg
    phpwjxwetPM.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 595
  • phpIY85p2PM.jpg
    phpIY85p2PM.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 593
  • phperffDmPM.jpg
    phperffDmPM.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 596
Upvote 0

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: Three mystery pieces I've picked up over the years.

Second piece is indurated shale. Pieces of it naturally shaped like cigars and or balls are plentiful where I used to hunt. Thing of it is, though, they carried these quite a ways and left them. So who knows ?

creek astronaut

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2009
fairfield county,ohio

interesting stuff,that third piece is the one out of the 3 that i think may be a relic.have no idea what it could be though,maybe somekind of net sinker?????

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

3rd one looks like some kinda polishing rock mabe? Is the bottom flat? Wonder if the first is some type of fossil? :icon_scratch:

ohioaxeman

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2007
sandusky, ohio

the first piece may be called a concretion. seen them before, and thats what i was told! second piece looks like shale, probably (indurated). third piece, dunno, but i would of took it home anyways.

OP
OP
Th3rty7

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->

appreciate the comments and opinions, pretty sweet looking piece o fossil poop anyway.lol

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other

Good indurated shale is amazing stuff. Not real pretty, but you can knap good points out of it, make flaked-&-ground celts out of it with razor edges, and use it to grind other hard stone with to a high level of finish.

creek astronaut

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2009
fairfield county,ohio

thirty7 said:
appreciate the comments and opinions, pretty sweet looking piece o fossil poop anyway.lol
if you get a minute could you take a pic of the third piece.take a pic of its profile,just curious to see how symetrical it is.thx 37.still a cool looking bunch of fossil poop. :thumbsup:

pointdlr

Sep 30, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio

Thirty7,

The top piece is Hematite. I have a small cone found on an island in between OH/WV on the Ohio River that is made of the same type of cracked hematite. I call it my "brainstone", but it is hematite. I can take a pic of mine if you want to see. They are very similar.
Second piece down is some kind of shale/limestone mix. I would call it a natural formation.
3rd piece down is a mystery to me. If an artifact, I would guess some weird grooved atl-atl weight.
Hope this helps,
Jon Dickinson.

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250

For your first picture try Googling "septarian nodule". I think thats what you have there.

HH Charlie

OP
OP
Th3rty7

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->

greg-rocks said:
thirty7 said:
if you get a minute could you take a pic of the third piece.take a pic of its profile,just curious to see how symetrical it is.thx 37.still a cool looking bunch of fossil poop. :thumbsup:

Here ya go Grocks, I put a couple of the other two in as well to show some different angles.

Attachments

• phpVcuXS4PM.jpg
    phpVcuXS4PM.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 340
  • phpBrT6omPM.jpg
    phpBrT6omPM.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 342

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm III and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

thirty7--I just bought a book by Lar Hothem called "Ornamental Indian Artifacts" and on page 20, there's a piece that looks like yours(1st picture). It is a "cone" and is made of "brainstone" hematite(crackled surface). The one in the book was found on an island in the Ohio River near Huntington, W.V.

That's a really neat find! as are the others you posted!
regards,
sandcreek
Oops--I just read pointdlr's post! Was that your piece in Hothems book, Pointdlr?

OP
OP
Th3rty7

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->

pointdlr said:
Thirty7,

The top piece is Hematite. I have a small cone found on an island in between OH/WV on the Ohio River that is made of the same type of cracked hematite. I call it my "brainstone", but it is hematite. I can take a pic of mine if you want to see. They are very similar.
Second piece down is some kind of shale/limestone mix. I would call it a natural formation.
3rd piece down is a mystery to me. If an artifact, I would guess some weird grooved atl-atl weight.
Hope this helps,
Jon Dickinson.

Appreciate the help Jon, love to see your hematite " brainstone " cone.

OP
OP
Th3rty7

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->

Thanks for the tip Charlie, Sandcreek, interesting, that's one Hothem book I dont have, I need to study stone tools and ornamental forms. Thanks

pointdlr

Sep 30, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio

Sandcreek,
Yes, that is my artifact in the Hothem book. Forgot it was published in that volume. If you look at my avatar, and then the back cover of the book, you will see another similarity. I think I have about 20 pieces in that book.
Thirty- I will get a pic of the brainstone for you this evening.
Jon Dickinson.

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm III and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

pointdlr said:
Sandcreek,
Yes, that is my artifact in the Hothem book. Forgot it was published in that volume. If you look at my avatar, and then the back cover of the book, you will see another similarity. I think I have about 20 pieces in that book.
Thirty- I will get a pic of the brainstone for you this evening.
Jon Dickinson.
Jon--Hothem must have been really impressed with your birdstone to put it on the outside cover of his book! I'll have to go through this book and see what else is yours :thumbsup:.
sandcreek

OP
OP
Th3rty7

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->

greg-rocks said:
thx thirty7 for putting up the pic,i dont know what to think of that piece.very cool whatever it is. :thumbsup:

me either man, always been a puzzle to me. I've just noticed that three of the four sides are symmetrical and line up, possibly ground to form?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread