Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

We went out for a hunt over the weekend and our Christmas Presents came early it appears. Dug a little more into our colonial era tavern site here in Southern Louisiana and managed to take our Spanish Silver count up to 18 for the year with an Incredible, Three-Spanish-Hunt! There were a lot of other cool relics dug, handfulls of musketballs, and too many finds to get cleaned quickly. I forgot to insert photos of my spanish from the end of the video, but it is a solid looking 1802 Half Real as you'll see below. Here are photos of my finds (Photos of Shanegalang's great coins appear here: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...t-super-rare-mexican-republic-two-reales.html)

Video is last in the post (and it is a must-see!), but here are photos of just my finds...First off, the button from the video that I thought would be good. It is French-made (DOUBLE PLAQUE, PARIS):

HPIM3791.JPG

Then here is a photo of the little button from the video that I found right on top:

HPIM3794.JPG

And the same button with its two matching friends which I recovered earlier in the season:

HPIM3796.JPG

My Spanish Silver (1802 Half Real, Mexico City Mint):

HPIM3792.JPG

HPIM3793.JPG

Happy Viewing, and a MERRY CHRISTMAS to All!!

Best Wishes,

Buckles

Last edited:
Upvote 11

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome finds! I'm feeling a bit a jealousy of you Southern Boys as I look out my window and see snow on the ground and ice over the lake... Ok, more than a bit of jealousy ;)

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on all the wonderful finds! That is an Incredible Site! Great video, I love the excitement that is shared by the gang. I hope you guys continue to discover many more awesome Coins and Relics! Way to go!

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, Like I said my book is pretty old, 1978 but the price for the Potosi mint one that your linking to was about the same as the one you guys have, at least in 1978 they were. It gives the price as 12.00 in XF and 60.00 for Unc. for the coin you guys found and 22.00 in XF and 70 in Unc. for the Potosi. I guess the XF grade one does have a significantly higher value but they're pretty close on the Unc. One thing it does show for the coin you guys dug is a 1837/6 variety but again no difference in price. Hope this helps... Dave

Thanks for checking on that, Dave. I'm not certain why the other one sold for so much, and no clue whether this 1837 from Guanajuato is worth anywhere near as much. I have heard that the 2 Reales from this era are difficult to find in high grades.

Best Wishes,

Buck

tennessee digger

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2011
Nashville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Troy Shadow Fisher Gold Bug Pro Minelab Equinox 600.
WOW. What a site. You are lucky to have a site like that. Work it till there ain't nothing left. Tennessee digger

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can we have a pic of the silver??

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
You guys are really on a roll. Hopefully 2013 will continue to produce some killer finds. Keep hittin' that place hard.

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Smack me once. Smack me twice. Ohhh mannnnnn! Smack me a third time. The Bayou Bandits are baaaaaack with all of their Colonial tavern giddiness as displayed on the video. Ohhh man! Passion Pumped once! Passion Pumped twice! Oh mannnnnn, Passion Pumped three times!

Kirk

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
18 freakin Spanish coins for the year!!!!That is bad a*&(^%!!! :thumbsup:Way to go man,all that hard work is paying off!!

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
18 freakin Spanish coins for the year!!!!That is bad a*&(^%!!! :thumbsup:Way to go man,all that hard work is paying off!!

I chalk this incredible year up to a year spent with no finds to speak of (2011), researching and trying to line up permissions. With the flat ground around here, a good site can be anywhere. We have tens of thousands of acres we have permission on that we've never even explored. I know there's a Spanish Church and 4 more (long gone) plantation homes to be found somewhere on that land alone. It should be a great 2013. Thank you for your kind reply, my friend. I am floored by the success this year. Should be an amazing year-end post.

Cheers,

Buck

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
amazing field you guys have there! sweet finds!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That sure has been a great site for you guys! Eighteen Spanish/Mexican silvers, not to mention all the seated silver - that sure beats digging eaten up coppers! They must have had a shortage of copper coinage down there, otherwise I would expect quite a few large cents with that many silver coins.
Congrats on another great hunt :occasion14:

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That sure has been a great site for you guys! Eighteen Spanish/Mexican silvers, not to mention all the seated silver - that sure beats digging eaten up coppers! They must have had a shortage of copper coinage down there, otherwise I would expect quite a few large cents with that many silver coins.
Congrats on another great hunt :occasion14:

Not all of the finds in our signature line are from this site. There are several other spots where portions came from... But 16 of the 18 Spanish/Mexican silvers have come from that spot, and the early Seated coins have as well. Strangely, not a single copper from that field, except for one jetton dated 1819. Not sure why on earth there were so few coppers, but as you know New Orleans only minted silver and gold, and no real influx of coppers here except for during French occupation. I would have thought we'd find a maravedi or liard by now, but it's a long way for a large cent to have traveled from PA down here. Even the CW era sites we find many more silvers than coppers. We have only one Large Cent and one Indian for the year. The only other 1 cent coins dug were lots of wheats .

detroitdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett gtax 1000,Garrett ace 250, Technetics delta
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet Spanish.

Southern_Digger

May 21, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer and Excalibur; Tesoro Tejon; Fisher 1265-X; Garrett Master Hunter; White's Coinmaster; In closet: Bounty Hunter and Relco
Primary Interest:
Other
Great video ... days like that are special and will always be remembered. Somehow, I think you will top it over and over being that you live and dig in such a historic area.

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
AAAAAAAAAAAA EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!! We are killing it!!! man that 1802 turned out to be in pretty darn good shape!!! Anxious to kick off 2013........who knows what it will hold :)~~~~ Shane

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This website has Spanish mint assayer initials:

Spanish Coin Assayer - Mel Fisher's Treasures

(Mel Fisher's Atocha website)

I have a very worn 2 reale coin and was only able to find the mint from the initials.
post_spainamer_r02_1779_potosi.jpg

Spain 2 Reales 1879 - Mint Potosi Bolivia, Assayer PR

:)

Good information. The site doesn't list the mint at Guanajuato...but maybe I can ID some of my really worn spanish silvers from that.

Cheers,

Buckles

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread