Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

We went out for a hunt over the weekend and our Christmas Presents came early it appears. Dug a little more into our colonial era tavern site here in Southern Louisiana and managed to take our Spanish Silver count up to 18 for the year with an Incredible, Three-Spanish-Hunt! There were a lot of other cool relics dug, handfulls of musketballs, and too many finds to get cleaned quickly. I forgot to insert photos of my spanish from the end of the video, but it is a solid looking 1802 Half Real as you'll see below. Here are photos of my finds (Photos of Shanegalang's great coins appear here: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...t-super-rare-mexican-republic-two-reales.html)

Video is last in the post (and it is a must-see!), but here are photos of just my finds...First off, the button from the video that I thought would be good. It is French-made (DOUBLE PLAQUE, PARIS):

HPIM3791.JPG

Then here is a photo of the little button from the video that I found right on top:

HPIM3794.JPG

And the same button with its two matching friends which I recovered earlier in the season:

HPIM3796.JPG

My Spanish Silver (1802 Half Real, Mexico City Mint):

HPIM3792.JPG

HPIM3793.JPG

Happy Viewing, and a MERRY CHRISTMAS to All!!

Best Wishes,

Buckles

Last edited:
Upvote 11

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Merry Christmas to you all! Thanks for the vid,really enjoyed it. The cibola is a fantastic all around machine field hunter.

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh my goodness WHAT A SITE!!! To pull not 1, not 2 but 3 spanish silvers in ONE DAY. The detector gods were shinin on all of u guys, and for all the hours u all have put into that site and to still have surface finds, AWESOME!!! 2012 is gonna b a hard one to top but if a site and anyone can do it, IT WILL B THE BANDITS... CONGRATS.... HH

TiBorn

Nov 16, 2011
Ticonderoga
Detector(s) used
Kellyco Predator II, Bounty Hunter Quickdraw 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty sweet, I have one Spanish silver in my collection but I bought it off my friend. I've never actually found a Spanish coin. Congratulations and Merry Christmas.

dsinsc

Nov 29, 2011
The Low Country
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelabs Fisher F-75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt Bandits, Superb 2 real, looks like it's from the Guanajuato mint, the G with the small o inside. The PJ assayers mark stands for ??? Strange they wouldn't know who this is since his initials are on coins from 1834-1842. The book I have is pretty old (Standard Catalog of Mexican Coins Paper Money and Medals) so I'm sure the values are way off but all these year 2 reals are priced about the same regardless of mint mark or assayer.... Dave

Ironman!

Mar 25, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MXT/Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WooHoo, congrats to the both of you on your outstanding Spanish day! Congrats on #18 Spanish for the year as well!! That 2 reale is a killer looking find, congrats Shane!!!

IM

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A rather pleasant Christmas gift huh. Congrats!

Merry Christmas!

HH!

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After repeated viewings of your posts, plotting the suns course, soil conditions, type of plants being close to where you are digging, etc.,
I have discerned that you are not hunting anywhere close to where we've been detecting out here in Denver.
You've dug more Spanish silver than my total of other types of silver for the year, and at one sight!
Killer, killer site and finds, never ceases to amaze us!
Kudos!
Carl

Nutriasub

Nov 16, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 - Garret Pro Pointer
Sorry to ruin the fun, but it's a Mexican coin, not spanish...anyhow it's a great coin! Congratulations

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh man that video was great. The eye ball finds were amazing. You guys have got to probe that site for the pits. They have to be there and now is the time to find them before they plant. If you want a good design on an easy to make probe shoot me an e-mail. The excitement was high that day. Seems someone is very happy with the Tesoro.
Merry Christmas.

N.O. noir et d'or

Dec 9, 2012
New Orleans
Detector(s) used
White's Dfx 300, Fisher CZ20, Garrett ATX, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on your total for the year, and many thanks for the video.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to ruin the fun, but it's a Mexican coin, not spanish...anyhow it's a great coin! Congratulations

We are still grouping this one and the 8Reales with the Spanish coin count. ;) Yes, it is Republica Mexicana, sure. No worries, it's still fun.

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
Those are some awesome silver finds. Congrats on the reales.
Dman

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt Bandits, Superb 2 real, looks like it's from the Guanajuato mint, the G with the small o inside. The PJ assayers mark stands for ??? Strange they wouldn't know who this is since his initials are on coins from 1834-1842. The book I have is pretty old (Standard Catalog of Mexican Coins Paper Money and Medals) so I'm sure the values are way off but all these year 2 reals are priced about the same regardless of mint mark or assayer.... Dave

Would you mind checking the 1837 date with the Guanajuato mintmark for me? All I can find of the 1837 year is this example:

Stack's Bowers Galleries - Lot #8303 - MEXICO. Potosi. 2 Reales, 1837-PiJS.

Sold for $900 in much worse condition.

Regards,

Buckles

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh man that video was great. The eye ball finds were amazing. You guys have got to probe that site for the pits. They have to be there and now is the time to find them before they plant. If you want a good design on an easy to make probe shoot me an e-mail. The excitement was high that day. Seems someone is very happy with the Tesoro.
Merry Christmas.

I would love a design to make a probe. We now know where the pits were (just figured that out this last trip), and we are going to wait until we get several plowings of detector finds before we ask to dig a trench in the farmer's fields. So we're looking at some years down the road on digging the pit, most likely.

Best Wishes,

Buck

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After repeated viewings of your posts, plotting the suns course, soil conditions, type of plants being close to where you are digging, etc.,
I have discerned that you are not hunting anywhere close to where we've been detecting out here in Denver.
You've dug more Spanish silver than my total of other types of silver for the year, and at one sight!
Killer, killer site and finds, never ceases to amaze us!
Kudos!
Carl

I've seen and dug a lot in 20 years, but this was a site of a lifetime for me.

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A Very Merry Christmas to the Canefield Bandits, Congrats on the awesome finds and a Great Video.............................HH

dsinsc

Nov 29, 2011
The Low Country
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelabs Fisher F-75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would you mind checking the 1837 date with the Guanajuato mintmark for me? All I can find of the 1837 year is this example:

Stack's Bowers Galleries - Lot #8303 - MEXICO. Potosi. 2 Reales, 1837-PiJS.

Sold for $900 in much worse condition.

Regards,

Buckles
Hi, Like I said my book is pretty old, 1978 but the price for the Potosi mint one that your linking to was about the same as the one you guys have, at least in 1978 they were. It gives the price as 12.00 in XF and 60.00 for Unc. for the coin you guys found and 22.00 in XF and 70 in Unc. for the Potosi. I guess the XF grade one does have a significantly higher value but they're pretty close on the Unc. One thing it does show for the coin you guys dug is a 1837/6 variety but again no difference in price. Hope this helps... Dave

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread