Thrift Store: Gold Winner or Dumb Beginner? :D

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Introductions first! Hi, I'm Dylan "insontis" and I've been lurking around on the forum for a few months now.. and am an avid metal detector user. Last summer I took a shot at buying some yard sale items without much research at all and ended up with a few.. silver plated items. Since then I've greatly increased my knowledge in the areas of coins & precious metals, but am by no means an expert. That being said, here is today's story.

I found myself in a thrift store today and decided to take a look around for some hidden silver bargains for the first time this year. After checking on a few silver looking objects (plated, the usual), I ventured over to the jewelry counter. Rather than just asking to see every possible gold piece up close (there were a ton of gold toned pieces), I slowly gazed across the glass display and picked out the possibly sterling ones. First one.. junk. But then the second necklace! Also junk. I considered doubling back and inspecting some of the more-than-likely gold plated (if even that) earrings. I worked my way around the "L" shape of the counter when in the final display case there sat a necklace with a $25 price tag. Between the price and the visual my mind was reading _overpriced_sterling_. However there was a sale on and that $25 necklace could be mine for $14. On one shoulder the angel was telling me if you ask to see it you'll end up leaving with an overpriced piece of sterling at best. On the other shoulder sat the devil barking like a mad dog "BUY BUY BUY". So of course I asked to see the necklace. Picking it up showed it had some weight to it.. and the size wasn't too bad either. It wasn't some dainty string-type thing that I thought would snap if the wind blew. So I began the careful search for the ol' 925/sterling hallmark. None. Just some mark acknowledging that the price of 14 was "k" for this item. Not wanting to argue with the jewelry, I simply said I'll take this, thank you. *Purchased* /exit stage left.

Story aside, here are facts thus far:

Appearance: Silver color; white gold?
Hallmark: 14k
Length: 20 inch approx
Width: 2-3 mm
Depth: 1 mm (maybe 1.5?)
Weight: 15 - 18 grams (Ok so my jewelry scale is in delivery process. I have instead a ruler over a pencil with nickel/dime counterweights. Anyone know how accurate this method is? Lol. )
Magnet test: The only part that is magnetic is the ring that the binds the ends together. I do not see signs of wear or fading so if it isn't real, its not even plated.

I won't get out to get it tested for a day or two, but right now my head is spinning. If this is legitimate, the gold is worth at least $343.07 (14 grams at $1306.60/troy oz spot price).

Update: Pictures!!

IMG235.jpg
IMG237.jpg
IMG238.jpg
IMG239.jpg

Anyone have input on how likely it is to be genuine? Or any alternative methods of ruling out certain fakes? I don't have an acid test or a scratch test. I'm just so excited!! :bom:

Last edited:

LootHunter

Oct 7, 2013
Orange County, CA
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
That sounds exciting, great story. Look forward to seeing the pictures of the necklace.

OP
OP
I

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Started researching online about fake chains.. making me nervous. At this point I almost feel like I should expect it to be fake and be thankful if it isn't. Oh well.. worst case scenario I return it and look some more I guess. Need Acid Test!!

OP
OP
I

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dropped necklace in water, sank straight to bottom. Good sign. Tested with makeup powder on skin - no black streak. Bad sign. Does anyone know if that is a certain sign it is not gold? At this point I've just about lost hope that it is real. Also I read that real gold doesn't 'kink' when laying it down in a messy pile. The chain doesn't "kink" exactly, but no two parts of the chain within 2 inches from each other can touch. Sinking ship here.:icon_salut:

edit: Oh and the o ring behind the lobster is not soldered. Just read this: "The o-ring behind the lobster will not be soldered (real chains have the o-ring soldered; fake chains can’t b/c the heat from the torch used to solder the o-ring closed travels through the metal fast. Fake chains would melt)"

Last edited:

isabella1

Mar 2, 2013
Why don't you take it to a pawnshop or jewelry store tgey will tell you. Then you will know for sure. Could be someone broke it and had a new clasp on it, or it could be fake. I would take it to a jeweler, or a cash for gold place. Then buy a acid kit off eBay for at home.

isabella1

Mar 2, 2013
I just saw the pictures actually. Usually wait gold's a lot brighter maybe it's your pictures but normally it looks l Pretty shiny, the clasp and everything is super white, because gold doesn't tarnish like silver. I could be wrong, Looking at a picture versus having it in hand. Good luck I hope your necklace isreal that will be a great find!

OP
OP
I

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lighting wasn't too great for pics, but it does appear very shiny in person - I don't notice any tarnished or faded areas. Still have major doubts after reading about how many fakes are out there last night. I am definitely going to invest in an acid test for the future!

LootHunter

Oct 7, 2013
Orange County, CA
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
If you take it to a pawn shop they may want to cut the chain to get past any plating, just something to keep in mind.

If I were you I would order an acid kit off ebay or amazon, they are really cheap.

giniro

Jan 14, 2013
Columbus, OH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's hard to tell from the pictures but that 14k marking looks like it might have been engraved rather than stamped. I bought a necklace once that was marked 14k, looked like that, it was fake. Here's hoping yours is real!

OP
OP
I

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alright so I took the necklace to a nearby pawnshop.. After a five or ten minutes of building suspense while I waited to be assisted, they took the chain and began to look it over with a loupe. First the clasp for engravings, then down the necklace itself looking for imperfections. He stopped. "It's fake". Apparently there was noticeable fading in between the chain links. I said thank you and walked out. While I didn't get an acid test, I'm confident that he was accurate in his assessment. I went back to the store I purchased the item from and returned the item (and explained why). I hope they at least mark the price down significantly or don't return the item to the floor so no one else's hopes and dreams are crushed. :D

I did look around for any other possible finds, but came up empty handed. While I didn't walk away with much of a smile, I did at least learn some new methods of detecting fakes. Such a shame, oh well. I hope this at least helps anyone else who is scouting out jewelry as a beginner.. beware of fakes, they do exist!

LootHunter

Oct 7, 2013
Orange County, CA
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
The fading between the links could have been rhodium plating wearing off. Some white gold is plated in rhodium to give it a shine, at least they do that with rings. O well, don't want to have you second guessing. At least you got to take it back, no harm done. Good learning experience for sure.

mkulltra

Nov 14, 2012
South Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I worked in the jewelry business for a few years (specialty was watches) and all "white" gold is rhodium plating. You can send a yellow gold piece in and have it come back to you as white gold. Now this does not mean your chain was or wasn't. Someone could have taken a plated piece and engraved the marking to sell it as gold to an inexperienced buyer.

Just remember, treasure hunting is like the lotto, you have to be in it to win it.

HH

OP
OP
I

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I appreciate the feedback. In the future I will have an acid tester. I kind of wish I had found that rhodium information before, but I'm just going to have to have faith in the pawn shop I took it to. I mean they have to know that it would be rhodium plated if it is white gold, right????? Going to try to not beat myself up about not getting it tested as its out of my hands now. I still have a lot to learn, but this is one mistake that won't happen again. With a return policy at that store, I'd buy again in a heartbeat. I'll keep searching for more pieces.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
1. White gold can also be gold alloyed with nickel.
2. I would have gotten a 2nd opinion. In the future, you should always be 100% sure of something before taking any kind of leap.
3. I cant believe you found a thrift store that allows returns. In these parts, returns are typically unheard of.
4. If you are planning on making any future precious metals purchases, you need the proper tools at a minimum.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
If you take it to a pawn shop they may want to cut the chain to get past any plating, just something to keep in mind.

If I were you I would order an acid kit off ebay or amazon, they are really cheap.

Do you mean file into it? I have never seen any place actually cut an item for acid testing.

LootHunter

Oct 7, 2013
Orange County, CA
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Do you mean file into it? I have never seen any place actually cut an item for acid testing.

Yup, I had a heavy bracelet that the guy insisted on cutting to make sure it wasn't a heavy plate. The thing I have noticed is, with these pawn shops, cash for gold places, the barrier to entry is nothing which means you get all kinds of people doing it. Unfortunately, most I have dealt with have been shady, not knowledgeable, and a general pain to deal with. Of course, I am sure there are reputable guys out there, I just haven't met one yet.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread