silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone,

I've been reading for a few months and really enjoy the forum.

I bought these 4 wooden shaft golf clubs from a Lioness Club sales for $20. One says "Special Ladies" and I assume they are all women's clubs:
1) Special Ladies - Warranted Hand Forged - Plus Succes - Thos. E. Wilson & Co. - Chicago 1 putter
2) Putting Cleek - with what looks like a ground hog emblem
3) W.R. Lovekin Special - with a hammer emblem
4) A.J. Spalding & Bros. KRO-FLITE 17 Iron

I also bought this metal plane for $5.

Attachments

• club1.JPG
    club1.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_7890.JPG
    IMG_7890.JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_7894.JPG
    IMG_7894.JPG
    30.8 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_7896.JPG
    IMG_7896.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_7898.JPG
    IMG_7898.JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_7900.JPG
    IMG_7900.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 129
  • plane3.JPG
    plane3.JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 151
  • plane4.JPG
    plane4.JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 135
  • plane5.JPG
    plane5.JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 138
OP
OP
S

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool looking airplane. Any idea who the maker is?

No idea who the maker is, but the quality is really good and seems hand made. Even if it is a reproduction, it is still cool.

I'm curious if anyone knows the value of the clubs and if the fact they are women's clubs impacts the value. Check on ebay and prices seem to range from $20 to $40 per club.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
I have to admit, when I saw "metal plane" in your title, I got excited.

I thought I would be able to tell you "That is a Stanley #7. It has a corrugated sole and a rosewood handle."

I thought it was going to be a woodworking plane, LOL.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to admit, when I saw "metal plane" in your title, I got excited.

I thought I would be able to tell you "That is a Stanley #7. It has a corrugated sole and a rosewood handle."

I thought it was going to be a woodworking plane, LOL.
No I bought a bunch of those today. lol. That biplane is great. I think it's worth a couple hundred myself, provided it is as old and handmade as it looks. Very detailed looking piece. Golf clubs... don't play or know anything about them.

CladSpends2

Jan 11, 2010
Wilton, Maine
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Alright, now that Diggum has chimed in I will have the balls to finally say what I have been thinking for days, or since you posted the pics....................I think your money is in the plane, I always have, I have no idea what the golf clubs are worth, but they didn't hit me like the plane did. Diggum is probably correct, knowing him, but I have been thinking c-note at least all along for the plane. I should have said it earlier, but having Diggum confirm my gut instincts made me feel better and braver. LOL

T.

P.S. I think the plane qualifies as folk art.............damn, I should have waited for Diggum to say this........never mind what I just said, unless Diggum says it later on, then I said it first, damn it. LOL

Last edited:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alright, now that Diggum has chimed in I will have the balls to finally say what I have been thinking for days, or since you posted the pics....................I think your money is in the plane, I always have, I have no idea what the golf clubs are worth, but they didn't hit me like the plane did. Diggum is probably correct, knowing him, but I have been thinking c-note at least all along for the plane. I should have said it earlier, but having Diggum confirm my gut instincts made me feel better and braver. LOL

T.

P.S. I think the plane qualifies as folk art.............damn, I should have waited for Diggum to say this........never mind what I just said, unless Diggum says it later on, then I said it first, damn it. LOL
That's some funny stuff! lol!

It appears to be an early WW1 Royal Aircraft Factory B.E.2 model. Here is some more info.-Royal Aircraft Factory B.E.2 - Specifications - Technical Data / Description (english)

and here is a photo -

raf_be2_kp.jpg

Attachments

• be2.jpg
    be2.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 123

CladSpends2

Jan 11, 2010
Wilton, Maine
Detector(s) used
White's M6
OP
OP
S

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the replies and information. The pics and specifications are really cool. It looks exactly like the model in the pic. Thanks diggumup!

When I said handmade, I probably should have been clearer: the parts all look like they were machined, but it looks like it was assembled by hand. Here are some other pics. Thanks again for the responses and info.

Went to a few yard sales today but didn't buy anything.
HH

IMG_7924.JPG IMG_7927.JPG IMG_7931.JPG IMG_7932.JPG IMG_7933.JPG IMG_7922.JPG

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the replies and information. The pics and specifications are really cool. It looks exactly like the model in the pic. Thanks diggumup!

When I said handmade, I probably should have been clearer: the parts all look like they were machined, but it looks like it was assembled by hand. Here are some other pics. Thanks again for the responses and info.

Went to a few yard sales today but didn't buy anything.
HH

View attachment 879848 View attachment 879849 View attachment 879850 View attachment 879851 View attachment 879852 View attachment 879853

I knew what you meant about it being built by hand. I could tell the parts were machine made. I still think it's a OOAK piece. The parts, although machined, don't look too hard to make. I think the person that built it either had his own shop or maybe fabricated the parts at his workplace perhaps. I can't find another one like it or even close (same quality/diff. airplane), only balsa wood models. That is a very nice, detailed, unique piece of folk art. If it's not worth at least $200 then i'll be a monkey's uncle, lol. You plan on selling it?

CladSpends2

Jan 11, 2010
Wilton, Maine
Detector(s) used
White's M6
I knew what you meant about it being built by hand. I could tell the parts were machine made. I still think it's a OOAK piece. The parts, although machined, don't look too hard to make. I think the person that built it either had his own shop or maybe fabricated the parts at his workplace perhaps. I can't find another one like it or even close (same quality/diff. airplane),

Diggummup said "folk art", but I said it first.............yes I did, you can check it. Folk art, folk art, I said it first. LOL

I hope everybody gets the joke here.

T.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I knew what you meant about it being built by hand. I could tell the parts were machine made. I still think it's a OOAK piece. The parts, although machined, don't look too hard to make. I think the person that built it either had his own shop or maybe fabricated the parts at his workplace perhaps. I can't find another one like it or even close (same quality/diff. airplane),

Diggummup said "folk art", but I said it first.............yes I did, you can check it. Folk art, folk art, I said it first. LOL

I hope everybody gets the joke here.

T.
I knew I'd get ya with that one! :laughing7:

CladSpends2

Jan 11, 2010
Wilton, Maine
Detector(s) used
White's M6
And you did. Thanks for playing along, Diggummup. I was serious though about believing in your judgement on things and you do a ton to help people out on their finds. I think pretty much everyone here has owed you a thank you at one time or another.

T.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And you did. Thanks for playing along, Diggummup. I was serious though about believing in your judgement on things and you do a ton to help people out on their finds. I think pretty much everyone here has owed you a thank you at one time or another.

T.
Thanks but I'm just glad to be here.

OP
OP
S

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the additional info. I will probably wind up selling it so I can buy more stuff. :) HH

OP
OP
S

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone,

This is one my first posts in the garage sale section and I still have the plane. I really like it. However, I recently went to a yard sale where and older Japanese woman was liquidating her husbands stuff which included a bunch of WWII stuff and huge collection of late 60s/early 70s underground comics. She sold the WWII stuff and a bunch of other things for pennies on the dollar. When I was negotiating for the comics she looked like she was going to cry and actually said "please" at one point. (For the record, I way overpaid for the comics. FYI....when it comes to 60s/70s underground comics only the first print Zap things are worth anything)

Anyway, unless it is something very personal to me, extremely interesting, or undervalued......I am selling it.

Question: for the plane what is a fair buy it now price? I've looked over the past year and pretty sure it is OOAK.

thanks ahead of time,
sdb

Last edited:

billn1956

Jan 2, 2010
I would put it at auction starting at 250 and a buy it now of 395. and would not be surprised if it sold at that. But if it did not sell at auction then I would put a 290.bin or best offer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions