THURSDAYS FINDS

SILVERHOUND

Apr 19, 2003
RALEIGH,NC
I SEARCHED THE YARD OF A 70+ YEAR OLD HOUSE IN CHAPEL HILL,NC.I FOUND 2 INTERESTING MULTIPLE COIN HOLES.THE FIRST I FOUND 11 WHEATS AND 4 1959 MEMORIALS IN ONE HOLE.NEXT I FOUND A 1920 WHEAT SO WORN AND THIN MY SOVEREIGN GAVE ME AN INDIAN HEAD SIGNAL.IVE FOUND SOME WORN CENTS,BUT THIS ONE IS PAPER THIN.THE NEXT HOLE INCLUDED A 51&52 WHEAT A 53 DIME AND A 1936 BUFFALO NICKEL.THIS WAS INTERESTING TO ME BECAUSE IVE WONDERED WHEN THE BUFFALO DISAPPEARED.DID THE BUFFALO NICKEL MAKE IT TO 1960?

Attachments

• CAM00348.jpg
    CAM00348.jpg
    384.9 KB · Views: 12
Upvote 0

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The Buffalo Nickel went extinct in 1938. The Jefferson Nickel made its debut the same year.

OP
OP
SILVERHOUND

SILVERHOUND

Apr 19, 2003
RALEIGH,NC
NO DUH

:idea: COME ON,I KNOW WHEN A COIN SERIES WAS STARTED AND STOPPED.I WAS ONLY WONDERING HOW LONG IT STAYED IN CIRCULATION.THANK YOU THOUGH FOR SHARING YOUR GENIUS ON THIS TOPIC.

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe the Buffalo dissappeared when the white man shot all of them. wink

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Sorry, SILVERHOUND, I can only answer the question I see.

It looks like what you meant was: How long did the Buffalo Nickel stay in circulation after the pattern stopped being produced? Over the years I am familiar with, whenever there was a pattern change, the old pattern disappeared from circulation within about 5 years, give-or-take. Silver coinage disappeared a little faster after 1964-- most of it was gone within two years. One clue is how easy it is to find final-year coins in excellent condition, vs. the difficulty of obtaining excellent examples from the early issues. Of course this is not a hard-and-fast rule... I still find silver dimes and wheaties in circulation once in a while. I don't believe I have ever seen a buffalo in circulation.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread