TICKS! TICKS!! TICKS!!!

DrGrip

Apr 12, 2009
North, Texas
Detector(s) used
White's XLT & Quick Draw II
Something with DEET in it works for me. I forget the name of it but it's in a green bottle at WalMart in the Sporting Goods area.

Grip

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hate ticks so much, I'd suggest the 100% Deet stuff... just read the directions carefully and avoid all skin contact.

Bran <><

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
one of my Boy Scout leaders found this and sent it to me. I have not tried it yet but those who have says it does work.

How to Remove a Tick

Good Info for folks going into wooded areas fishing, hunting for things like lost golf balls, and fishing around farm ponds. Also good for folks that have nothing better to do than take a walk in the woods. You know who you are!

Spring is here and the ticks will soon be showing their heads. Here is a good way to get them off you, your children, or your pets. Give it a try.
Please forward to anyone with children... or hunters or dogs, or anyone who even steps outside in summer!!

A School Nurse has written the info below -- good enough to share -- And it really works!! I had a pediatrician tell me what she believes is the best way to remove a tick. This is great, because it works in those places where it's some times difficult to get to with tweezers: between toes, in the middle of
a head full of dark hair, etc.

Apply a glob of liquid soap to a cotton ball. Cover the tick with the soap-soaked cotton ball and swab it for a few seconds (15-20), the tick will come out on its own and be stuck to the cotton ball when you lift it away. This technique has worked every time I've used it (and that was frequently), and it's much less traumatic for the patient and easier for me. Unless someone is allergic to soap, I can't see that this would be damaging in any way. I even had my doctor's wife call me for advice because she had one stuck to her back and she couldn't reach it with tweezers. She used this method and immediately called me back to say, 'It worked!'

Please pass on. Everyone needs this helpful hint.

jrwill56

Nov 1, 2008
Chowan Co.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 2000
White mark 11
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
godisnum1 said:
I hate ticks so much, I'd suggest the 100% Deet stuff... just read the directions carefully and avoid all skin contact.

Bran <><
put dog collars around your ankles

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jrwill56 said:
put dog collars around your ankles

I think I may of heard that before J.R.
Bet it's probably worth giving it a shot, opposed to getting those little blood sucking demons on me! lol :D

Bran <><

lumbercamp

Jun 22, 2006
I use Repel permanone Clothing & Gear Repellent and haven't had a tick on me all spring. I've been on hikes with other people who used ordinary insect spray and they were picking ticks off their clothes all day long.

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
Find a repellant that has permethrin in it. This stuff kills ticks on contact. Treat your clothes with it (not for skin) and it will last thru two or three washings.
Google permethrin and you will find lots of info.
Good luck.
Randy

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tuck my pants into my socks, tuck my shirt in, cross my toes. 15 pushups, say my ABC's backwards, and then spray on REPEL. Don't forget the pushups, very essential in preventing these little villains. Gotta show em your tougher. On a serious note, I do tuck my pants into my socks and tuck my shirt in. Keep checking yourself. Take your clothes off before you go back into your house. Look in the mirror. Keep checking. Tick bites have landed me a spot in the ER. This is a serious topic.

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
I have been using Repel. They make a spray for your clothes only and it'll last for a couple of washings. Then I use their other spray on my skin and do not have a problem. I also hear that the Sawyer brand also has the clothes only and skin spray that is supposed to work well. Good luck

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cutter's 40% works all day and I have used it for years, more years than I care to admit to. Found in sporting goods section of Wally World. Monty

New to MDing

Tenderfoot
May 19, 2009
"Skin So Soft" use to be used a lot by people who didn't like the chemical mosquito repellants. I wonder if it would be effective on ticks. Here's another tip for insect repellent in place of chemical applications: As long as you don't mind the smell of Cigars. When I go fishing I take along a pack of Swisher Sweet tiperillos. They taste good too. And I don't normally smoke.

swampfox

Feb 19, 2007
orangeburgh,south carolina
Detector(s) used
ace 250 and others
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the repellant is Deep Woods Off . it contains deet and is the best ive found. Walmart seels it in most of its stores. good luck swampfox

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ticks sheesh. I used to get the heebie jeebies from a tick. would be squirmy for days after. When I went on that 6 mo. trip into the jungles between Quintana Roo and Honduras we entered with Levis, but no repellent, no room in our packs.

The first night, as I sat around the campfire, I noticed that the legs of my Levi's appeared to be a bit black and moving somehow. Stirring up the fire showed the legs to be literally swarming with small black ticks. Since I hate ticks with a purple passion I almost ended up screaming. Some hot coals soon reduced the population to a negligible amount. I then peeled off the jeans and finished the job inside. These ticks tend to gather behind your knees , groin, and under your armpits.

After a quick conference, we decided that perhaps the locals weren't crazy after all , and so cut off the legs to just below the knees.

From then on, as we cut trail or walked in the clear areas, we would simply wipe our bare legs down with grass periodically or when you felt them crawling near to your knee and almost eliminated the tic etc., problem.

Down there they have three sized ticks, itty bitty ones, medium sized ones similar to the states, and huge ones. They also have a tremendous assortment of various other creepie crawlies , an Entomologists paradise. sheesh.

When you are cutting trail in the humid tropics with your machete you are literally bathed in sweat, no repellent will last or work.

As Tex said, around the houses the chickens helped cull them, as well as scorpions.

SOO, the moral of this story is to use shorts snicker

Don Jose de La Mancha (el tick hater)

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
permethrin is best for ticks and Deet is best for Mosquito's. I use Permanone for the ticks,it needs to be put on your clothes and NOT your skin.I am and Avid Bow Hunter and with Fishing and Detecting,finding this yrs ago was a blessing,because i Hate Ticks.

Nova Treasure

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread