TICKS! TICKS!! TICKS!!!

3RINGER

Feb 1, 2009
Middle TN
Detector(s) used
GPX 4800, Blisstool V6, AT Pro, Makro Racer, CZ3D, XL PRO, Nokta Relic, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Guys..TICKS and Chiggers are crazy here in TN and I've used alot of stuff to try and keep them off. The sprays work good but in the heat of summer it drives me crazy as well. Some of them can damage the foam grip on your detector.

Try this next time and it cost alot less. It really works

Medicated Body powder (perfect purity) from dollar general for $1.00

no sticky sprays or cream and keeps them off. just my 2 cents worth ;D

HH

JDS

Jun 8, 2007
Kansas City Missouri
Detector(s) used
ML4000/ML E-Trac/Ace 250/Antique Groundhog
I grew up in southern Missouri. There are two kinds of ticks there, wood ticks and seed ticks. You learn early that if a wood tick can't get you he will pick up a seed tick and throw it at you! No matter what you use remember to turn your clothes inside out as you take them off. Flea collars and Deet will keep them at bay but when you get home the little suckers will sneak out of the seams of your cloths and get you when you arn't looking!

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use that spray with 29% DEET and it helps. You have to check for ticks after you come back in from the field, as those rascals will sit and wait to drop on you, DEET or not. Oye, Real De Tayopa, sounds like you had seed ticks, the most aggravating of all. We would take coal oil (Kerosene) and rub it all over where they were, and it killed them outright.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI my friend Rginn: You are correct. Later investigating them I found that they would congregate together under leaf or whatever, forming a ball like a drop of water. When you brushed near then they almost exploaded on you.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Daveaohio

Greenie
Apr 21, 2009
Volunteer to walk all of you friends and neighbors dogs. Send them thru first hopefully they collect all of the ticks. Then return the dogs. Why not make it worthwhile and charge for you srevice. :laughing7:

We just have the dog ticks around here and I constantly check myself and pick them off or avoid the tick areas this time of year sorry can't help Good Luck

steve from ohio

Aug 1, 2008
wolcottdigger said:
Can anyone recommend a good tick repellent or give me advice on how to keep them off me?

Joe
Try garlic. I eat tons of it and I smell of it but I never get bitten by ticks. They just don't like the smell and never bite.

From a site I found: Garlic: In a study performed on soldiers at Lund University in Sweden, garlic intake greatly reduced the number of tic bites experienced in the field; apparently those irritating little critters find the herb's scent repulsive (these obviously weren't Italian tics). Tic bites, common during the summer, are not only annoyinq, but also dangerous, as many tics carry Lyme disease. Garlic contains sulfuric compounds that exhibit powerful antioxidant properties that protect many parts of the body--includinq the cardiovascular system--from free radicals and related diseases.

I also use deet spray and I never have had a problem with ticks even in the worst of conditions. They just don't like me at all.

OP
OP
wolcottdigger

wolcottdigger

Oct 30, 2008
Wolcott, CT
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Thanks for all the reply's and all the great advice.
Here is a picture of my latest battle with TICKS!
I don't think it was on me very long.
Where he was I couldn't see him, just feel him.
Who says it doesn't pay to scratch your butt.
Yes I did take the picture myself!

P.S. You guys are all pretty smart, how do I keep MICE out of my lawnmower.
Every time I start it they come running out or get stuck in the wheel drive belt and that's a disgusting mess.

Attachments

• 100_7242.JPG
    100_7242.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 275

airborne1092

Sep 7, 2008
Inland NW
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hate ticks.

I can deal with snakes, spiders, cetipedes, mice, rats, bats, beetles, slugs, mosquitoes, biting flies - but god hlep me if a tick gets on me.

One night I was 'camping' in the Uwaharee NF in western NC. I was hot and sweaty and haven't bathed in a week or two. As I'm wiping the sweat off my face and neck and trying to stay awake, I come across what feels like a huge skin tag on the back of my neck. Flip. Flip. Flip.

OMFG.

Well, I had no flashlight and of course I couldn't see the back of my neck and as much as I wanted to, I couldn't freak out either. I literally bit my tongue to keep from crying like a little girl and I had to wait until morning when a buddy was able to yank out one of the biggest, fattest shiny translucent dog tick I have ever seen in my life. I felt like my spinal cord was being torn out I swore I started leaking spinal fluid down my back. I felt physically sick the entire night, only to end up with a gaping hole in the back of my neck.

Needless to say, I'm in Germany now, I have a hairy dog that likes to poke her nose into the brush and the Germanys don't spray for pests.

I hate ticks.

tesoro dog

May 31, 2007
Steve from Ohio!

You may be right Steve,, they say Garlic works on those other bloodsuckers too,, Vampires!! HA !! Hello to All !! td

hissinroaches

May 25, 2009
northern michigan,USA
Detector(s) used
treasure hunterxj9-3050
i havnt ever had a tick on me,or ever seen one here in northern michigan.but the mosquitoes are big enough to drain your blood!

Attachments

• moustiquecarre.jpg
    moustiquecarre.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 153

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a cottonball and soak it with fingernail polish remover and put it right on the tick,wait about1 or 2 minutes,and when he starts moving pick he off a flush him down the toilet.

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
hissinroaches said:
i havnt ever had a tick on me,or ever seen one here in northern michigan.but the mosquitoes are big enough to drain your blood!

We have a special hunting season for them.
The DOW has to get revenue somewhere.

LOL
Thom

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread